Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
PowerSports 'R' us

XLR ThunderBolt 422AMP FB Paint (16-week wait) is IN!

We ordered her on 1/3/17 (FR accepted order on 1/7)... knowing prior of the 16 week wait time for a Full Body Paint unit. She came in on 5/2/17 and as a 2018 model (we didn't know this upon ordering) but kinda a nice surprise.

Our prior 5er was a 34' Sunnybrook, but no Toy Hauler, hence why we wanted to upgrade so we could haul some toys around w us. We also over-shot our size, had to get a new truck as well to haul it with.

The order was pretty much every option including these factory installed notables;
-Triple Solar on roof (3x160w).
-3 A/C, energy management panel
-MyRV remote system
-Trav'ler Directv Slimline HD auto tracking dish.
-Residential Fridge (Samsung)
-On demand Hot water
-G rated tires, I will prob upgrade further to Goodyear H's next year. Incl was many more options/ small things like the garage carpet, additional deck steps etc.

NOW? It's time to modify some things. The unit has 4 TV locations including the front deck. I'm changing out the TV's to Samsung 4K SUHD. Wiring all Hi-Speed 2.1 HDMI to everything for (future) 4K signal at each loca. I'm using a H25 UHF receiver, and may add additional receivers later, but for now I'm cloning all from a 4KUHD HDMI 4 way splitter along with RG6U coax to each TV (Dish fed) in case we want to add receivers at those loca's later.

Installed a Flashcube last night on the back pinbox, as well as I greased all my suspension zerks and wheel hubs. Holy rollers did those hubs take a lot of grease!... like 70 pumps on each wheel!. I had heads up on this from a fellow XLR user saying the factory ships these with only minimal grease in the hubs. Job took 3 tubes of hi-speed red bearing grease if interested. yikes.

My truck was ordered at the same time but only took 8 weeks to come in. I was a die-hard GM (Duramax) guy but quickly got converted after test driving both the 17 Denali and Super Duty. I have a personal everyday truck as well, and this one was ordered specifically to be a TV, and for the weight/size of the coach as well.

So.... We leave for a 6K mi trip to N.AZ and Utah beginning of July. I still have a mod list a mile long to complete prior!

She's factory built as 44'-6" 21K GVWR, but dealer says it's 45ft. It's XLR's biggest and heaviest floorplan (TH'er). On my shakedown trip to the Smoky Mtns, I made camping reservations as 44ft, it just sounded so much more friendly lol. Having a CDL, the backing up was no issue and the built-in back up camera was nice. Our walkie talkies still are the life-saver for this however.

So far... known issues were...
Convection/microwave did not originally work; dealer resolved in an hour during orientation. On demand hot water cut off twice while/during showers. Been fine since, wondering if there was some air in the gas line? hmmmm. May be continued.

Wife asked me about "MY" favorite option and after setting up camp twice so far, it has to be the auto-level system. Man, is this easy now!... and I'm now working on retractable hose and power reels.

Cheers all and enjoy your summer!

KJ & Debbie
'18 XLR Thunderbolt 422AMP (Freedom Blue) ordered 1/7/17 | del'd 5/2/17
'17 Ford F350 Platinum-Ultimate DRW 6.7L (Magnetic)
hauling 'round the toys...
'14 BMW K1600-GTS (Sakhir Orange) | '13 BMW F800-GT (Graphite Metallic)
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #2

Thats funny on the trucks. I was dead set on the new 17 duramax in the denali trim. Drove past a large ford dealership and decided to swing in and see what they had on the way to the gmc dealer. Ended up buying the exact truck you have except in the platinum white with the caribou bottom. Love the truck. Has way more features then the denali and just a great looking truck.
steelworker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

That is a very sharp setup. Those new Ford dually are really growing on me. Only had my xlr just over a year and already thinking of upgrading. Lol
340xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #4

Have you thought about adoption? I need a new mom and dad.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
BMullins46

CONGRATULATIONS on the new rig. We bought a XLR 385AMP last November and are on our first long rang trip with it. As with any new RV we have had our issues. I question whether you were wise to have pumped that much grease into the hubs, I had many friends who have found WAY too much grease pumped into their hubs and have ended up with blown grease seals and grease packed brakes. I had my bearings repacked at my local dealer and the tech said to just put a pump or two into them every few thousand miles, these units are not loke boat trailer that need a heavy greasing after use.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Congratulations that's an awesome combo
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

Very nice ! Good luck and happy camping !
Old 06-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Excellent choice for both TV & camper. I love it when the color scheme matches on both. Two points of interest on the Dually 1) keep an eye on the TPMS, two of us have more than one leaking valve stem. $35 each, warranted of course, but make sure they re-balance after breaking the bead. 2) Take the time now to remove the spare tire and make sure you have the correct tool (15mm) to unsecure the wheel from the frame. Don't know why Ford installed a wire rope cable between wheel & frame.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
PowerSports 'R' us

^^^^Thanks guys, and I'll do a Ride Report on our Trip out West with her starting July 3rd. And sorry on the adoption, my Son just turned 21 and it's time to travel abroad (well, as much as we can, can't retire yet for 15 more years!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS on the new rig. We bought a XLR 385AMP last November and are on our first long rang trip with it. As with any new RV we have had our issues. I question whether you were wise to have pumped that much grease into the hubs, I had many friends who have found WAY too much grease pumped into their hubs and have ended up with blown grease seals and grease packed brakes. I had my bearings repacked at my local dealer and the tech said to just put a pump or two into them every few thousand miles, these units are not loke boat trailer that need a heavy greasing after use.
TY! I appreciate it!
....And these are Dexter flow through hubs, whereas there is a grease tunnel that goes to the back bearing first, then purges back to the front bearing, you stop once you get the flow of grease back to the front. Pretty cool lubrication invention actually and 70+ pumps is quite normal on new hubs. Here's a video on it (not mine, and there are tons on the Dexter hub lubrication procedure on youtube as well).
https://youtu.be/oeIJzoLJ2Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Excellent choice for both TV & camper. I love it when the color scheme matches on both. Two points of interest on the Dually 1) keep an eye on the TPMS, two of us have more than one leaking valve stem. $35 each, warranted of course, but make sure they re-balance after breaking the bead. 2) Take the time now to remove the spare tire and make sure you have the correct tool (15mm) to unsecure the wheel from the frame. Don't know why Ford installed a wire rope cable between wheel & frame.
Thanks, not a perfect color match on the gray's, I bought (actually placed the orders) for the truck and coach on the same day and (we) guessed by pics it would be close. In reality, it's not real close but to the naked eye, good enough I guess.

Good tip on the tires, I'm on FTE Forum as well, heard of some peeps having valve stem issues. I've now got 3400 miles on mine and no leak (crossing fingers). I also have removed my rear spare tire as I had to mount a compressor above the channel that is above the tire. The compressor system is a Air-Lift 72000 to operate my Air-Lift 5000 rear suspension air bags. Yes, I had to add this option as my rear was a little "saggy".

The tools to remove the spare are in your tire jack kit under the rear seat. Absolutely no problems, this system worked slick!

KJ & Debbie
Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
^^^^Thanks guys, and I'll do a Ride Report on our Trip out West with her starting July 3rd. And sorry on the adoption, my Son just turned 21 and it's time to travel abroad (well, as much as we can, can't retire yet for 15 more years!)

TY! I appreciate it!
....And these are Dexter flow through hubs, whereas there is a grease tunnel that goes to the back bearing first, then purges back to the front bearing, you stop once you get the flow of grease back to the front. Pretty cool lubrication invention actually and 70+ pumps is quite normal on new hubs. Here's a video on it (not mine, and there are tons on the Dexter hub lubrication procedure on youtube as well).
https://youtu.be/oeIJzoLJ2Go

Thanks, not a perfect color match on the gray's, I bought (actually placed the orders) for the truck and coach on the same day and (we) guessed by pics it would be close. In reality, it's not real close but to the naked eye, good enough I guess.

Good tip on the tires, I'm on FTE Forum as well, heard of some peeps having valve stem issues. I've now got 3400 miles on mine and no leak (crossing fingers). I also have removed my rear spare tire as I had to mount a compressor above the channel that is above the tire. The compressor system is a Air-Lift 72000 to operate my Air-Lift 5000 rear suspension air bags. Yes, I had to add this option as my rear was a little "saggy".

The tools to remove the spare are in your tire jack kit under the rear seat. Absolutely no problems, this system worked slick!

As a friendly suggestion...

Don't bother using that grease method. You're just asking for trouble. A proper cleaning and hand-pack every couple of years will serve you well.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

Great lookin set-up.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #12

Had my rig 5 years and always used the grease method provided by the manufacturer and never had a issue.
I think people don't follow instructions and create the problems with the blown seals, or use none manual grease guns.
We spin each tire and pump grease slowly into each axle. People that posted it takes a tube of grease a tire the 1st time are correct. I used a tube on each tire the 1st time. Now it takes 8-10 pumps before I see clean grease.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #13
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Had my rig 5 years and always used the grease method provided by the manufacturer and never had a issue.
I think people don't follow instructions and create the problems with the blown seals, or use none manual grease guns.
We spin each tire and pump grease slowly into each axle. People that posted it takes a tube of grease a tire the 1st time are correct. I used a tube on each tire the 1st time. Now it takes 8-10 pumps before I see clean grease.
Yepper, and I did the hand pump and spin method as well. Just got back from an almost 6K mile trip out West. No issues, wheel hubs felt cool on periodic hand tests. G rated tires did well also, never got "hot" even though we had 110F temps around Albuquerque NM and onward into AZ.

KJ & Debbie
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #14

Sweet!!! Still can't make myself drive a Ford! Hahaha
XLR Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR Nitro View Post
Sweet!!! Still can't make myself drive a Ford! Hahaha
TY!
I'm not brand dedicated, so no problems here. I extensively test drove the 2017 Ram 3500, GMC Denali 3500 and Ford F350, all top of the line models w each Mfgr. I'm usually the first one second guessing myself, but not here. Truck is unbelievable and the built-in TPM on the trailers 6 tires (along with the trucks 6 tires) is simply priceless. Great ride and tracking, torque up the wazoo and super quiet are these new '17s. Wifey is in love w the message seats on our long haul 14hr tow days, so I guess we're both super happy.

----------------------------------------------
Here's my truck history (copied from one of my truck forums), well at least my non-CDL trucks anyways...

All Diesel, all the time!
2017 F350 Platinum DRW 6.7L || 2014 2500HD Denali 6.6L || 2008 2500HD Silverado 6.6L || 2002 2500HD Silverado 6.6L || 1998 2500 RAM Cummins-24v || 1994 2500 RAM Cummins-12v || 1989 F250 7.3L || 1987 F250 6.9L

KJ & Debbie
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #16

Wise choices! I like you already....

MODSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #17

Fords are nice trucks but just can't go with anything but Chevrolet. Just my preference.
XLR Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR Nitro View Post
Fords are nice trucks but just can't go with anything but Chevrolet. Just my preference.
That's ok everyone has one vice 😂
MODSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODSSO View Post

Look'n really good!, Modsso!

Liking the sun coverage you have also, I have to get a pole barn built yet before winter. Ya gotta keep those UV's off your investment!

Cheers mate

KJ & Debbie
Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODSSO View Post

What size is the RV port ? We have the 24x41x14.
Having bird issues in the soffits , trying to figure a way of keeping them away.

Tags
xlr