Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #21

[QUOTE=MDB;1329040]I'm using a 2011 F-350 with the 6.7 and it does a wonderful job. We've been all through the BlueRidge and Smokey Mountains and it never misses a beat. Started out with a F-350 SW but it always felt like it was trying to push you in curves and wanted to move you around when 18 wheelers would pass. The dually has fixed all of that.[/QUOT

I have nothing like that but my 5er is only 13,000 with a pin of 2710. I never feel pushed and never feel a semi. Run the mountains and never a problem with the 6.7
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #22

Would enjoy seeing some of the weight reports from others on this thread.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneaero View Post
I know this has probably been answered a million times but a question regarding dually vs non-dually 1 ton truck. What do you guys use to tow yours? I'm trying to figure out if I need a dually for a 16,000 lbs dry weight with 3,600 lbs hitch weight.
Toneaero - My previous rig was a KZ Stoneridge TH (43' long and 16,500 pounds on the scales). I had the opportunity to tow it with my 05 F350 SRW while waiting for my 12 Ram 3500 CTD dually to arrive. Night and day difference! The F350 did the job (it was the heaviest of the SRW GVW packages) but the Ram DRW felt like it was MADE FOR THE JOB! Stability, relaxed ride, solid cornering, noticeably less sway from wind and passing semi's. IMO, you are definitely in dually territory based on pin weight alone. You'll be happier, more relaxed and safer in the long run. Did you ever hear anybody say "gee, I wish I had a smaller truck"?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
Toneaero - My previous rig was a KZ Stoneridge TH (43' long and 16,500 pounds on the scales). I had the opportunity to tow it with my 05 F350 SRW while waiting for my 12 Ram 3500 CTD dually to arrive. Night and day difference! The F350 did the job (it was the heaviest of the SRW GVW packages) but the Ram DRW felt like it was MADE FOR THE JOB! Stability, relaxed ride, solid cornering, noticeably less sway from wind and passing semi's. IMO, you are definitely in dually territory based on pin weight alone. You'll be happier, more relaxed and safer in the long run. Did you ever hear anybody say "gee, I wish I had a smaller truck"?
Yes. I said that after we sold the 42'7" 5er. Just 2 of us and a small dog. New 5er is only 35' which handles as well with the new swd as the heavier one did with the dually. And a short bed too. The dually was required with the bigger 5er without a doubt. So much easier to find a place to park at times. I no longer need a dually and will be certain I never do in the future. When required nothing can beat a dually but when not required is is more comfortable without.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #25

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW long bed, payload of 4280. I have 3200 lbs of pin weight and have towed over 7000 Miles with no issues. Total camper weight is 14000. I get an average of 11.8 - 12.5 mpg as well.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #26

First. Don't ask this same question on RV.net. Those guys will do everything but cuss you out. Its ridiculous overt here when it comes to this topic. Some would even tell you to go get an MDT to be on the safe side.

That being said, this one is close. My F350 SRW has a RAWR of 7000 lbs.. Our Vengeance has a pin weight around 3250 lbs. but that changes a little when the golf cart is in the back. Depending on how much fuel is in the truck, I'm slightly over or under 7000 lbs. on the rear axle. Does it pull well? It pulls like a champ and 70 mph down I-95 headed to Myrtle Beach is no problem. I do have air bags to level things out but that's all. I don't regret the decision at all.

But you're looking at a little more. If the RAWR of the truck you're considering is 7000 lbs., remember you're probably going to be slightly overweight on the axle. My Michelins are rated at 7500 lbs. combined so to me, that's what I consider to be the biggest thing to watch.

As for total weight, I don't fret that too much. Total weight for the whole rig is almost 27,000 lbs. so I'm definitely overweight for a total GCWR. But starting, stopping, and cruising all do very well.

One last thing. Where are you located? Here in NC, DOT won't even think about checking you unless you're doing something obvious like pulling your XLR with an old F150 or something that looks like its about to break underneath the camper.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #27

KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #28

I can buy two of these for the price of 1 new dualie.. Loaded I believe I am around 20,000# to 21,000#
Our old trailer was 21,000 loaded and we pulled it with an 05' 2500HD... I'll NEVER go back to that again..

b370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #29

Tow Vehicle Article

Thought this was a good education on tow vehicles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Truck Tow Article.pdf (449.5 KB, 158 views)
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Thought this was a good education on tow vehicles.
One of the best explanations or numbers safety I've seen. Sadly, most towing overloaded will either not see it or ignore what they read and just continue onward.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #31

I've towed with a srw Dodge and now a drw Ford and it is night and day difference in stability. No white knuckle driving even when being passed by semi's. Imo.
Mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #32
PowerSports 'R' us

We are upgrading (from our 34' 5er/ Chevy 2500HD Duramax combo) to a 2017 XLR 422AMP at a whopping 45' (I think it's XLR's biggest!) and a tad over 20K loaded = new TV!

Now that the brand new Duramax has 20% more torque in 2017, also making it the new 'King of diesel pickups' in both HP and TQ, my choice was clear...
3500HD Dually/Duramax, High-Country Pkg (same as the Denali Pkg in GMC, just not that fugly front Denali chrome grill!), all fully loaded w sunroof... OTD priced at $70K. cough-cough

... On this note, I could not order in a short box, (in DRW) it has to be a long box. Being a Crew Cab also, this will be a long mother! Another note to this (lol), the long box gets the 5th wheel hitch (pin point) more forward (over the rear axle), the short boxes will have more sway naturally because they have the pin point further to the rear. So bad on the box length (for me), but some good comes of it as in the towing factor mentioned!

I know my current 2500HD SRW could handle it (most of the time), just that those Semi's and cross winds would be the real buzz kill. PLUS!, throw in the fact that your insurance Co. won't pay on a possible accident if your TV is underrated for what you're towing? Yep, insurance companies look into this and it's a legit (legal) reason for them not to pay you on an RV (in tow) related accident. So, cover yourself!

On the bigger is better statement above^^^^, I have also ordered-in the over-spec'd 25K lbs "drop in" puck hitch as well. My current 20K 5er hitch will be sold hopefully along with my 2500 SWD truck this spring.

TV's and weights thereof are a very important part of our RVing experience. Happy and safe travels everyone.
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #33

Looks like 2017 is the year all the diesels got upgrades.

Duramax 445hp / 910 tq @ 1600rpm
Powerstroke 440hp / 925 tq @ 1800rpm
Cummins 385hp / 900 tq @ ??? Maybe 1700rpm
Toneaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
We are upgrading (from our 34' 5er/ Chevy 2500HD Duramax combo) to a 2017 XLR 422AMP at a whopping 45' (I think it's XLR's biggest!) and a tad over 20K loaded = new TV!

Now that the brand new Duramax has 20% more torque in 2017, also making it the new 'King of diesel pickups' in both HP and TQ, my choice was clear...
3500HD Dually/Duramax, High-Country Pkg (same as the Denali Pkg in GMC, just not that fugly front Denali chrome grill!), all fully loaded w sunroof... OTD priced at $70K. cough-cough

... On this note, I could not order in a short box, (in DRW) it has to be a long box. Being a Crew Cab also, this will be a long mother! Another note to this (lol), the long box gets the 5th wheel hitch (pin point) more forward (over the rear axle), the short boxes will have more sway naturally because they have the pin point further to the rear. So bad on the box length (for me), but some good comes of it as in the towing factor mentioned!

I know my current 2500HD SRW could handle it (most of the time), just that those Semi's and cross winds would be the real buzz kill. PLUS!, throw in the fact that your insurance Co. won't pay on a possible accident if your TV is underrated for what you're towing? Yep, insurance companies look into this and it's a legit (legal) reason for them not to pay you on an RV (in tow) related accident. So, cover yourself!

On the bigger is better statement above^^^^, I have also ordered-in the over-spec'd 25K lbs "drop in" puck hitch as well. My current 20K 5er hitch will be sold hopefully along with my 2500 SWD truck this spring.

TV's and weights thereof are a very important part of our RVing experience. Happy and safe travels everyone.
I have had both short box sizes. 5.5 and 6.75 ft in both Crew Cab and Cab and Half. The fifth wheel hitch has to be mounted over the axle no matter what length of box you have. If it is mounted anywhere else that is wrong.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #35

I have a 425 same length TV f350 dually only way to go and on a diesel it is all about the torque not as much the horse power I have several duramax in our work fleet crew cab dually and they lack a little in the punch when accelerating. I drive both but as far as towing my rig the Ford feels more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #36
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladden View Post
I have a 425 same length TV f350 dually only way to go and on a diesel it is all about the torque not as much the horse power I have several duramax in our work fleet crew cab dually and they lack a little in the punch when accelerating. I drive both but as far as towing my rig the Ford feels more stable.

I've had the Fords, nothing bad to say other than the mileage is not as good and they seem to all rust out quicker around the wheel wells, hence why they'll all be our plow trucks for my stores that much faster.

Wait till you hear, or actually WON'T hear! the new Duramax. And at idle, you'll swear it's not even running.

If the Ford could stay up on the mileage, I would of considered again as both are very close in HP and TQ, and yes I agree TQ is most important to us guys.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #37
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Good luck getting turned around......lol
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #38

I have 2001f250 I need a football to turn and I have 2006 with 6.0 it had motor issues that got fixed but less space needed and I have a 2015 daily that is the cats meow can turn around anywhere plus I have 2015 and 2016 chey 1 ton crew cab duramax not bad trucks at all but as far as the rust the newer Fords don't have an issue all of mine are 100 % rust free. I remember when you bought a used Chevy you had to always check the cab mounts make sure they were in tack. I do also have a Dodge 1 ton. I like to share the wealth.

egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #39

Looking into trading in my 13 2500hd ccsb on a 16 3500hd dually. Chevy has got some good incentives right now and I don't want to own the first year new Duramax. Got one picked out and going to check it out this week. I had a 01 ford dually, so there not foreign in handling to me. I also drive a International 4300 reefer truck. I have the baby thunderbolt and have used my 2500 for the first year, but I know I'll feel better in the dually. Coming full circle I guess.
340xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #40
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Good luck getting turned around......lol
I wanted the dually... had to have an 8ft box
I wanted the sunroof... had to have a Crew Cab

Not my rules, but seeing how I have the same truck now but in SRWD, this will be no different for me, plus I have a CDL, I'm use to bigger setups

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel, xlr