Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #41

Youroo it does say 1500 in the paperwork though 😜
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
WW

No just commenting on other posts that the only argument I've heard against the Anderson is it can't transfer enough weigh to front axle --In my use I can definitely see and feel weight transferred to front axles that's all

Great WDS system

WW going coastal this weekend 😄
Have fun and send pictures. Did I tell you, I heard from Dunes for volunteering next Spring / Summer?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #43
John513

One more thing about the blue ox. I didn't order mine in time to do this, but if you buy whatever kit you buy it come standard with the 2" 7 hole mount. My truck is lifted 6" with 35s, so I also bought a more of a drop mount. If you need a different mount than the one it comes with and as long as you don't use it, Blue Ox will exchange it for the one that you need without having to buy another one. I never used my original, so I am sending it to blue ox for a 2 1/2" version of the same since I will be lifting my trailer for a little more clearance.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #44

Good deal J. What's with all the lifting? Short people hater!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #45
John513

No not at all, I think I asked if anyone ever lifted there trailer in an old thread. I wanted little more clearance under trailer. I had a few close calls before and wanted to move the springs to the top of axle. I have atv's that I put in back of mine, so that shouldn't be an issue with the ramp being just a tad bit steeper. Yours sits a bit higher doesn't it from the upgraded axles.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #46

John. I remember that. Was it something about hitting in a driveway? I think my 29hfs is already "flipped" (factory) I'll have to look. But, I'd like to lower mine, but can't. I was just busting your chops in fun about hating:beer:

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
PH, you are the expert. If you were referring to the comment I made... I have read on the forum that the mounting slips and then the tension changed... dunno really, just read it on the forum.
WW
The mounting brackets on the tongue can slip . mostly because of improper set up . Mine slipped when i went to Andersen Idaho they set it up and have not had it slip again . but after 1000 miles i decided to weld stops just in case . as far as weight transfer when you have a tv that's overloaded ie lights pointing toward the sky then you better pay 2000 and get the max transfer wd hitch you can find . when you have a tv matched with the weight your towing and tongue weight then no need for a 2000 wd . to assume you need all the weight back on the front wheels is absurd . with my truck it sits high in the back when unloaded . the empty weight of the truck has the front end carrying 65 to 70 % of the truck weight ie engine when loaded with the TH and andersen set i'm 1/4 inch higher in the front then stock but truck is riding level handling is super good . quite a few times have looked down and been doing 75 ++ and needed to back off but the hitch and TH towed as one with the TV . i see no reason to go to a standard WD and deal with the extra weight , grease and noise , the andersen will be mine go to from now on
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #48

What is this tongue weight and distribution you all speak of? Oh, that's right. It doesn't apply to me! BWAHAHAHA

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #49

Quote:
John. I remember that. Was it something about hitting in a driveway? I think my 29hfs is already "flipped" (factory) I'll have to look. But, I'd like to lower mine, but can't. I was just busting your chops in fun about hating:beer:
Thinking about the up-grade on the axles do you have to order new springs also ? i would think that may give me the 1 or 2 " taller ride that i would like to achieve with out flipping axles . I assume with 5200 or 6000 lbs axles new springs would be in order
Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #50

In my younger racing days, there were bolt-on springs that were U bolted to the axle and the top rested around the rubber bottoming lug. They still have them. I remember it adding an inch or two to the height.

Would something like that help? Especially if you went in the drive at an angle?

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #51

Well,,,,Still new to this forum and browsing thru all sorts of info. WolfWistle has done some pretty groovy stuff to his 29hfs. As well as many others. Great ideas.

Anyways, this is a WD hitch thread, so let me stay on topic. I got a Blue Ox with the rig. The XLR 29HFS was the biggest thing I could pull with my Titan. But I knew WD hitch would be absolutely necessary. However, the "built in" sway control is lacking to say the least. When I have 3 sporty bikes (around 1300 lbs. total) and a tool box in the garage she tends to give me trouble on windy days and of course buses, truck, and fellow rv'ers can make her wiggle more than I care to deal with.

I wish I had known about this Hensley Hitch. Is there anyone selling a used one for a 10,000 lbs toy hauler? Ugh..... And to they really make that much difference?
Orange Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
Well,,,,Still new to this forum and browsing thru all sorts of info. WolfWistle has done some pretty groovy stuff to his 29hfs. As well as many others. Great ideas.

Anyways, this is a WD hitch thread, so let me stay on topic. I got a Blue Ox with the rig. The XLR 29HFS was the biggest thing I could pull with my Titan. But I knew WD hitch would be absolutely necessary. However, the "built in" sway control is lacking to say the least. When I have 3 sporty bikes (around 1300 lbs. total) and a tool box in the garage she tends to give me trouble on windy days and of course buses, truck, and fellow rv'ers can make her wiggle more than I care to deal with.

I wish I had known about this Hensley Hitch. Is there anyone selling a used one for a 10,000 lbs toy hauler? Ugh..... And to they really make that much difference?
Well let me tell you, I have towed 35' trailer with a 2014 Titan CC with the Blue ox and the Hensley. Ok yes the Hensley will keep the trailer in line in almost every situation. But you may not have enough truck. I had put in timbens, raise rear tire pressure to max PSI, and balanced tongue weight the best I could. The blue ox would allow it to sway. The Hensley would not. That being said, I was on a trip, had to get on brakes really hard, the trailer nose dived, front axle got even lighter. Leaving me with no control what so ever. The whole rig went to the right into a turn lane, so lucky there was no one there.

The truck had P rated tires I thought of Putting LT tires on it. But after that incident I just got a new 3\4 ton truck. I can't use the Hensley just yet need different stringer, but the Blue ox pulls same trailer quite well. The Hensley will be put back on in the spring. Its that good, you almost forget your towing.
There are lots of Hensley's for sale on Craigslist and the airstream forums. Do a little research Hensley have different options make sure what you are buying is what you need. There are costly to ship. Replacement parts are expensive unless you buy the $500 warranty.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #53

Quote:

What WW said , you have got more TH then your TV can handle
Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #54

Just be sure your Blue Ox is set up correctly before you spend the money. Mine started out on the 5th link on the chains & would wobble. Went 6th link & better. Went to 7th link & is now flawless. The bars must have some bow in them when hooked up or it will not work right. Just a suggestion.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #55

Quote:

Had the same problem...with my 27hfs ..did you set your hitch up with the bikes in it? If not this is what i did to fix it...drop the hitch 1 hole and get the tounge down when empty this way with the bikes you will be level....i added 3/4 tank of water for balast...chain was on number 10 link from the free end...i put airbags on the tundra but dont think i needed them...however i ran 25 lbs in them the trailer pulls true now...however i left the roof vent open to air it out and man was that bad....threw me around like a rag doll...make sure they are closed while cruising....
2015 Roadglide spec
2012 switchback mechanic..(wife's)
roguepra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #56

yeah....
I know.... not enough truck. Knew that would be the TV limit. But, I have a frugal wife. That's truly a blessing. But, that means I have to bide my time and play the game of letting her agree on her terms. We are focused on paying of the house (the one without wheels) right now. THEN....I have her convinced to allow me to look at 1 ton dualies so we can get a big ol' 5th wheel TH. I like the Thunder Bolt okay....but that is at least 2 years away...so, till then, keep a good space cushion between us on the hwy please.

Did have someone reach out to me with a used ProPride. Anyone need the lawn mowed, car washed, or garage painted? I need some $
Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #57

Orange C, you keep paying down the debt to zero and you will sleep better and be happier than any new truck will make you. Be sure you have your hitch set up right and maintain 9% dead minimum tongue weight ratio by loading cleverly; doing what you have to do... Then keep your speed down (if not already) you will be fine. Maybe a rear sway bar on your truck... dunno. I have read about doing that on jeeps, etc that tow and it makes an impossible situation manageable.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Orange C, you keep paying down the debt to zero and you will sleep better and be happier than any new truck will make you. Be sure you have your hitch set up right and maintain 9% dead minimum tongue weight ratio by loading cleverly; doing what you have to do... Then keep your speed down (if not already) you will be fine. Maybe a rear sway bar on your truck... dunno. I have read about doing that on jeeps, etc that tow and it makes an impossible situation manageable.
WW
Thanks WW.
Yeah, she does okay. With three bikes in the garage I have to fill the fresh dihydrogen monoxide storage container to get weight on the tongue better. Took it to north Georgia in June that way. You get used to it, somewhat. Still, windy days are unnerving.

Yup. Looking forward to debt free. Well, except for the new toys.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #59

NS, about the upgrade axle and how much it raises the unit. I didn't take a before and after measurement, but it is possible it raised the unit 1 inch. I park under a RV port and the clearance from AC to the ceiling hasn't changed any appreciable amount and the ground to first step seems the same.Naturally, if loaded heavy there would be much less spring compression and more clearance between axles and the bottom of the frame.

Did I ever report FR sent me new stickers recently to reflect the 5200# recall. The numbers only increases my GVW by 400# even-though the net effect of the two axles should have been 1600#. I have no idea how they came up with these numbers.

I would like to upgrade to LRE tires before my trip next spring westward.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #60

Hell, I have the 27HFS and pull it with an Excursion, and with 2 dressers in the back mine gets squirelly. It take a lot of weight off the hitch. I have to add water in my fresh tank to offset it. You need more hitch weight when loading up the garage.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr