Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #1

Yamaha NPS 5500 KW Generator

Our new 5W toy hauler arrives and no Geny onboard.
Dealer says that FR is now using a Yamaha NPS 55 KW geny.
Waiting on the geny to arrive.

Dealer also says that this is better upgrade than ONAN
We ordered and speced out the ONAN

My BS lite is burning ever so brightly right now.
Dealer can’t give specs on Yamaha
Claims this is a special agreement that FR and Yamaha have worked out.

Any intel from RV land on this arrangement or geny?
SC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

yes there were some press release back in early june that announced that yamaha NPS would be the exclusive provider of onboard generators for forest river. the seem to be inverter generators which the onans were not. but i was not able to find the yamaha model numbers and specs of these generators. nor the prices compared to the onans. i did see some pictures on a yamaha NPS generator and they look like the onans except the case is blue. i don't know if they will come in gas, lp, and diesel.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

Yep, I got an email from FR advertising that the new toy haulers will have changes to them for better boondocking, mainly larger fresh water tanks and Yamaha generators. It said the Yamahas would be more efficient and can run longer.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

Found on some FB pages:

The Yamaha will run quieter, more fuel efficient, & cooler. Part of this is the reason the exhaust will exit the front and not all the way out the side.
Pull start for if the battery is dead
remote start from a key fob also.

It was cheaper to option than the 5500 Onan.

BUT, if the trailer's tank was configured for the Onan they cannot install the Yamaha and vice versa. Something "about federal regs had them change the fuel tank" or something within all that.

Not sure why but a news article I linked to on FB is gone, a video that was posted by XLR on their FB page is gone & some pdf spec sheet someone posted is a dead link now.

It's like they want to hide specs on it.
https://rvheadlines.com/2020/06/09/n...est-river-rvs/

Here's the FB event link, but they pulled the event video for whatever reason.

https://www.facebook.com/events/260783458358410/
Old 07-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #5

so you've got new toyhauler for with a generator was spec'd in it, you paid for it, and there is no generator and they say that the one you get will not be the one in the spec and that you paid for.

if i were you i think i'd be pressing this issue real hard with the dealer. can go out an buy the onan generator and install it. of course he won't but don't let it rest. from the looks of things i don't think anybody would be able to tell you when the yamaha generator would actually appear. i tried again and can't find any specs on them. between the start up time for the new yamaha / forest river agreement, the virus, annd who knows what else you may be waiting a long time to get the generator (i hope not).
also, ask the dealer how many of these new generators they have installed.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Camper View Post

Found it. If the link gets squashed I have the pdf saved I could PM.

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/...-Gen-Specs.pdf
Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #7

The link doesn't work
Ron.danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #8

I just ordered a new XLR Boost27QB but have not recieved it yet. This is going to be my very first RV owned. It is coming with this new Yamaha generator as well according to the dealer. Question from a newbie, though...Does the generator get its gasoline fuel from the onboard fuel station? Or is there a separate place on the generator where it pulls it's fuel.
Thanks in advance. Great forum, and really looking forward to my new RV.
JpXLR27QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

I looked at NPS generators website, this is not a Yamaha generator, but it does have a Yamaha engine
Seems a little misleading, only engine is backed by Yamaha.

Not variable speed or really quiet either. Wonder if it is cheaper,?
CORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORC View Post
I looked at NPS generators website, this is not a Yamaha generator, but it does have a Yamaha engine
Seems a little misleading, only engine is backed by Yamaha.

Not variable speed or really quiet either. Wonder if it is cheaper,?
While at a local dealer in July looking at toy haulers. I was comparing dealer invoices (not sure how true they are) the yamaha's were a few hundred more than the Onan. We ended up with a FR 35DK5 toy hauler that came with the Yamaha. It runs very efficient, but I do find it kind of on the loud side. It doesn't run hot at all, after running for hours it was barely warm.
RI_Shoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

I was surprised to find the Yamaha powered gen when I went to pick up our new 25v. So far so good and I like the pull start in case the batteries are dead.
It is a bit noisy but I am looking at ways to seal the box.
OIF03VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #12

I purchased a 20121 25v had to wait a month for the NPS Gen just picked up my unit today with it installed, lets not call it a yamaha, its not kind of loud, its loud and has some vibration. If I had heard this thing and felt it before buying the RV I don't think I would have bought it. Only time will tell, I'll be contacting the dealer.. I think the Onan's are smoother for sure and quieter.
Anyone have a pick of their exhaust with the spark arrestor on it? I'm not sure mine has one, unless its up on the side of the housing.
caasperjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

I can get a picture of the exhaust tomorrow.
To got mine a little quieter on the inside By insulating the aluminum box that surrounds it. I used a dynamatt type aluminum backed butyl with a foam on top. For the sides I couldn’t get under the bed I used just the Aluminum backed butyl inside the aluminum box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232DE477-0F50-42C8-8B82-E90BD7E39635.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	240785   Click image for larger version

Name:	8810B27A-E765-4B1A-BCB7-84DB07EAA849.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	240786  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
so you've got new toyhauler for with a generator was spec'd in it, you paid for it, and there is no generator and they say that the one you get will not be the one in the spec and that you paid for.

if I were you I think I'd be pressing this issue real hard with the dealer. can go out an buy the Onan generator and install it. of course he won't but don't let it rest. from the looks of things i don't think anybody would be able to tell you when the Yamaha generator would actually appear. i tried again and can't find any specs on them. between the start up time for the new Yamaha / forest river agreement, the virus, and who knows what else you may be waiting a long time to get the generator (i hope not).
also, ask the dealer how many of these new generators they have installed.

Follow up to your post. I had the dealer working to find the ONAN but they were being told that due to COVID they were running a skeleton crew and could not deliver in a suitable time.

The Gen Compartment is in normal location of a 5W but our kitchen is now where the master bed rooms are located normally on non toy haulers.

With all of this being said, The compartment already came wired, and built for the Yamaha. The plat form was welded to the frame and the wiring harness was obviously different than the ONAN. This compartment is much smaller than the Onan equipped compartment. This gives me more storage overhead of the Generator. Onan is/was a god bit larger even though KW was the same.

Dealer adjusted price and we worked out other "add on's" at their expense to compensate for the original order. I was skeptical of the Yamaha but after going to SD on our shake down trip and having to dry camp in some locations the Yamaha has been great. Its not anywhere near as quiet as the Honda we have but I parked beside a 5W at Spearfish SD and his Onan (according to a Decibel App we downloaded) shows the Yamaha about 14-18 decibels less.

So far I'm pleased but we will see about reliability as times ticks on.
SC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF03VET View Post
I can get a picture of the exhaust tomorrow.
To got mine a little quieter on the inside By insulating the aluminum box that surrounds it. I used a dynamatt type aluminum backed butyl with a foam on top. For the sides I couldn’t get under the bed I used just the Aluminum backed butyl inside the aluminum box.
Did this help much? Was planning on doing the same, these generators are far from quiet. Hoping to get it down to a more comfortable level
Valhalla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla13 View Post
Did this help much? Was planning on doing the same, these generators are far from quiet. Hoping to get it down to a more comfortable level
It reduced the interior noise by a small amount, reduced cabinet vibrations in the front bedroom and bathroom and certainly reduced the heat Transfer from the box into the Under bed storage area.
It cost about 80 bucks in material (I’ve got some left overs) and was a fun project. I would do it again.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #17

Good luck with that. Our 2021 Rogue has a NPs. We have 32 hours, when it started dying after just a few minutes. Yes it has oil. In fact, the first time I checked it, approx. 2-3 ounces came out of the dipstick hole (not running). Seems to be the fuel pump, as the filter is clear, and I blew the lines to and from the tank. Went to Camping world where I bought it in March, and was told they don't have any NPS parts, nor could they order them. I went online, and saw an Onan pump that looks the same, and ordered it. I will let you know. Color me "Pissed".
DaveandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandDeb View Post
Good luck with that. Our 2021 Rogue has a NPs. We have 32 hours, when it started dying after just a few minutes. Yes it has oil. In fact, the first time I checked it, approx. 2-3 ounces came out of the dipstick hole (not running). Seems to be the fuel pump, as the filter is clear, and I blew the lines to and from the tank. Went to Camping world where I bought it in March, and was told they don't have any NPS parts, nor could they order them. I went online, and saw an Onan pump that looks the same, and ordered it. I will let you know. Color me "Pissed".
Just call NPS direct...They are super easy to work with.

Also they have released an Eco kit which will allow the genset to idle down. its worth every penny!
https://www.npsrvpower.com/product/eco-kits/
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #19

Yamaha fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Camper View Post
Our new 5W toy hauler arrives and no Geny onboard.
Dealer says that FR is now using a Yamaha NPS 55 KW geny.
Waiting on the geny to arrive.

Dealer also says that this is better upgrade than ONAN
We ordered and speced out the ONAN

My BS lite is burning ever so brightly right now.

I picked up my new wolfpack in the spring, it came with the Yamaha and is sitting in the shop for the past 2 weeks waiting on a new fuel pump.
jbelang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelang2 View Post
I picked up my new wolfpack in the spring, it came with the Yamaha and is sitting in the shop for the past 2 weeks waiting on a new fuel pump.
Call NPS directly and they will send you the fuel pump via fedex for free. I had the same problem after 30 hours of operation. It took me about 30 minutes to install.
Rogue21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator, yamaha