Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Battery replacement

My Interstate battery on my new 2015 Forest river finally died. Looking at replacing with the Deep Cycle battery.
Factory used the Duel purpose marine.
While shopping for the Deep cycle I've noticed that they refer to cranking amps and why?.
They sometime refer to these batteries as house battery.
I do have a Onan generator on board as well. Will the Deep cycle battery start the generator OK?
Do most of the trailers use Deep Cycle agm.

While talking on batteries. I had to modify the tongue and battery mounting area of my Shockwave so I could use two batteries. You would think the factory engineering dept. would have thought of this.
donklaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

You might just consider replacing your battery with an Interstate SRM-29. Fits in a Group 27 battery box and has an amp hour rating of 120-130 (depending on who you talk to at Interstate).

If you don't wish to modify battery support for two batteries, and you got approximately 3 years out of the old battery, this battery should work perfect for you. 3 years when using a factory mounted converter/charger is about average.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Battery replacement.

Thx, Mike for your reply. It's nice when I get a quick reply. I'm retired aerospace engineer and love having fast information. I have already modified the rack for two group 24 batteries. Not much wiggle room. Sorry the picture I tried to attach didn't post. Don't know why.
What do you know about the Deep cycle batteries and why do they list cranking amps. I can relate to the Marine and starter batteries but don't know what cranking amps would have to do with the deep cycle?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

I know all about the naps. LOL!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Don, have you considered using 2 6volt batteries in series instead? Heavier duty construction, typically more amps, longer lasting due to the plate thickness.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

Deep cycle batteries do not provide high CCA for starting purposes, but listing that property does not mean anything other than what that battery is capable of doing, as compared with another dual purpose or starting battery of the same size.

It is easiest to post a picture if when using a computer you use the paper clip icon and upload a photo.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

I have considered the 6 volts and really grasp the advantages of them. Right now they are cost prohibited.
I'm receiving everyone replies via my cell phone. Don't know why the forest river site is not refreshing with new and older replies. I'm new at this and am probably missing something.
Thx for your reply.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donklaing View Post
Thx, Mike for your reply. It's nice when I get a quick reply. I'm retired aerospace engineer and love having fast information. I have already modified the rack for two group 24 batteries. Not much wiggle room. Sorry the picture I tried to attach didn't post. Don't know why.
What do you know about the Deep cycle batteries and why do they list cranking amps. I can relate to the Marine and starter batteries but don't know what cranking amps would have to do with the deep cycle?
If CCA is specified, it's not a deep cycle battery, period.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

Funny after I replied to you and hit send, your reply showed up.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donklaing View Post
Most Deep Cycle batteries in the Group 24-31 BCI format are designed for marine use. They need to start the engines (Outboard or Inboard) so the Cranking amp rating is important. Since boaters also like to run lights at night along with water pumps, etc, they need to function as a Deep Cycle battery as well. As a result the battery industry had built a hybrid battery that does a fairly good job of both. As with any compromise, one side or the other loses. In the hybrid batteries they aren't great starting batteries and they don't last as long as batteries built for golf carts or electric fork lifts, etc.

If you don't have huge storage requirements like those who may boondock for weeks on end, and you have room for a pair of group 24 batteries just put a pair of the Interstate SRM 24's in. You will have an estimated 170 amp hours (66% of two SRM29's based on a comparison of reserve capacity numbers). Of course you should treat the two batteries as if you have a single 80 amp hour battery and recharge when at 50%. If you don't want to invest in a fairly expensive battery monitor, just get a Hydrometer with thermometer and temp compensation chart built in. They're $10 on amazon. Check the specific gravity in the cells in the morning and charge when the specific gravity reaches 1.190 when corrected to 80 degrees. (that's why the thermometer in the hydrometer is important).

From the sounds of your initial post you aren't putting all that much load on your battery as some do with huge inveters, etc, so a pair of 24's in parallel should serve you well and not hit the wallet like building a bigger golf cart battery based system could.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #11

The interstate engineer called me Thur and said they all have this rating. You response makes sense. It's just a capability factor. Thx
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
If CCA is specified, it's not a deep cycle battery, period.

True but a "hybrid" marine battery will perform far better in deep cycle service than just a regular automotive starting battery.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
True but a "hybrid" marine battery will perform far better in deep cycle service than just a regular automotive starting battery.
Yes, but at the expense of lifetime, which you have already mentioned. There's a significant difference in plate design.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

I do have a Onan generator to start a couple of time a day for Microwave and sometimes A/C if it's hot outside. Battery monitoring is something I'm learning about. As a kid I used the Hydrometer. I'm looking at the AGM batteries and do have some type of monitoring device on the wall. It seems to monitor the Solar activity. Could it be monitoring the battery as well?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Don, costco has the 6v batteries for 94.00 each. They are Trojan clones with an interstate label. Hope that helps.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replacement