Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Drip Leak from freshwater drain valve area

Hey all, recently picked up a used hauler with some of usual bumps and bruises for it's age.

One thing I came across that I am trying to figure out is how bad it's going to be to fix a leak in the fresh-water cross-connect for the drain. When I first looked at it, it was gooped up with a sloppy silicone job and was still dripping. At first it looked as if it was coming from the flush valve itself, but after taking the goop off the upper area of the fitting that connects to the forward tank I found that it's leaking right at the threading.

Even worse, it's cross-threaded and hence the leak.

I don'd mind what looks like a basic plumbing repair with all parts exposed and easy to get at. I'm hoping y'all have some feedback on my findings but also, if you take a close look at the picture, it looks like the tanks are not sitting quite even with one another and probably what threw off the alignment when the last person worked on this.

Or... Could the tanks have shifted and pulled the fitting in one direction causing it to look like a cross-thread?

I really want to avoid having to drop the tank off this rig, but if I need to..I need to. I've talked to some repair folks and for them to do the repairs it's gonna be more $$ than I want to put into something like that when it *looks* like an easy fix.

Thoughts?

Link to pictures and short video clips:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pH...yPLQHWP_Y8uSoi

Thanks in advance!
HoozYerDdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It 'looks' like the fitting in the tank on the right is broken and could be replaced. (crooked appearance) The threads in the tank fitting may not be bad. You won't know till you remove it.

Those tanks move around a bit in the supports so a hard line between them isn't going to cut it. Cut a that pipe tee, remove the right side and install a new coupler/fitting for the right.

Couple the two with a FERNCO rubber coupler so it can flex a bit without breaking it again.

Oh... and welcome to the forum!
I see it is your 1st post!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, valve, water