Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #21

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
You might consider just filing your fresh water tank at the destination. We have had good luck doing this, but some locations may not have easy access to water either.
What I do in case its hard to get water
First I fill up when I get there then instead of fighting with hoses..I take a half of a plastic 55 gal drum and a small pump.so if I need more water I drive over and fill it up then back in to trailer and pump water in with a 25 ft hose
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #22

Make sure your trailer tires can handle the weight, that is where your first danger is going to happen, blow out there goes your sides of your trailer, then the rest happens.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
2019 Renegade Verona LE

Question: Do you have a weight distribution hitch?

The hitch would transfer some of your load to the rear axle of the truck. Pulling any trailer without WDH is asking for problems (IMOP). ALSO... as noted, make sure that the trailer tires are not of the China Bomb type. Good Luck. Safe Travels.
CaboSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #24

In California CHP is more concerned with tire load ratings than GWR. I pull dump trailers and always go to the highest rated tire that fits my wheels, they are more concerned that you you don’t over load your tire since that is usually what fails.
graystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
There are three CAT Scales within 30 miles of Palmdale, CA. Download their Weigh My Truck app, create an account and input a credit card. Their scales have four platforms. Pull up with one axle on each platform, open the app, enter the scale number and other data and you’ll have your answer.

I not only did a “full up with everything” weight I did one with everything emptied out. Now I can reasonably estimate how much weight I can put where.

It’s $12 for the first weigh and you can get reweigh for a short time after the first one for a few bucks.

Good luck,

Ray
In Idaho you can use closed weigh station scales for free.

But I wouldn’t sweat it as long as it drives OK.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #26

Dump your fresh water tank, only fill it when you arrive at or near campground only if you are boon docking. if using a campground with water and elect you never need any water in your tank. I never carry any water.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #27

My answer would be how many times are you pulled over or pulled into a scale to be checked. A couple hundred lbs. one way or another is no big deal. Keep your tires aired up and in good condition and I think you be alright.
gmm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
The OP says he has a 27RQDX, which the online specs say has a GVWR of 10,995. However, his sticker photo says 27RQMX, which both the sticker and the online specs say has a GVWR of 9,999. Two different units are in discussion here.

27RQDX Specs

27RQMX Specs
VIN Decoder shows the vin is not valid. https://www.faxvin.com/vin-decoder
Order VIN Report
Enter a VIN:

Check VIN

The VIN you entered, 4X4TSHC26KC005024, is invalid.

VIN Accuracy Tips:
Copy the VIN if found on a website and Paste it
Write characters in groups of four with no spaces
You will never find the letters “Q”, “O” and “I” in a VIN
All VIN’s are 17 characters in length—no longer no shorter
The VIN has to come from a vehicle manufactured after 1980
TravelDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:26 AM   #29
Site Team

Off topic and asinine posts deleted by site team. Please try to help our new member with the question at hand and not hijack this thread with the aforementioned.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #30

This is simple. If you have to dump water or anything else to be close, and if you are clearly already concerned, then you don't have enough truck for the trailer. I don't care what anyone else has done with their stuff and lived to brag about it.

Edit:

It is not my intention to come down on anyone or to act like the weight police. My apologies if my original comment seemed pointed and I sincerely wish the best for the OP or anyone else asking this question for the 50,000th time. Unfortunately, only the OP in this close case, is the one who will have to determine the answer. Even after given the knowledge everyone is always kindly and patiently offering here. The words likely and should followed by the words be fine, from someone on the internet you may never meet in person, won’t help. In fact, those words make it worse.

I still stand by my original statement. If goofy things Like running without water in a fully contained RV made to do so need to be done to make one feel better about their rig, then one has too little truck.
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #31

You are likely fine. If you are using the curb weight of your truck from the sticker that is likely low as you have to account for your weight plus the weight of anything else added to the truck. You'd be surprised that there is probably 200-300lbs of extra crap that you don't think about in your truck over the curb weight (think floor mats, hitch balls, straps, tool set, stuff in center console, glove box and under seat storage...).

Measure the truck ready to tow with the hitch and then subtract that from your overall.
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrowland View Post
This is simple. If you have to dump water or anything else to be close, and if you are clearly already concerned, then you don't have enough truck for the trailer. I don't care what anyone else has done with their stuff and lived to brag about it.

Edit:

It is not my intention to come down on anyone or to act like the weight police. My apologies if my original comment seemed pointed and I sincerely wish the best for the OP or anyone else asking this question for the 50,000th time. Unfortunately, only the OP in this close case, is the one who will have to determine the answer. Even after given the knowledge everyone is always kindly and patiently offering here. The words likely and should followed by the words be fine, from someone on the internet you may never meet in person, won’t help. In fact, those words make it worse.

I still stand by my original statement. If goofy things Like running without water in a fully contained RV made to do so need to be done to make one feel better about their rig, then one has too little truck.

The OP was questioning trailer weight. Not discussing trucks.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #33
Going Solo

Why carry so much water? If you are going to boondock for an extended period of time, you could fill-up just prior to arrival of your final destination. I never carry more than 10 gallons give or take and that's more than I need. How much bottled water is in your frig, hmmm???...Conservation is key when it comes to weight. We ran over weight with our new 38' fiver and immediately started blowing tire-s! Brought the weight down and no more tire issues. You'll figure out. We all do!! Good luck.
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwdj View Post
Why carry so much water? If you are going to boondock for an extended period of time, you could fill-up just prior to arrival of your final destination. I never carry more than 10 gallons give or take and that's more than I need. How much bottled water is in your frig, hmmm???...Conservation is key when it comes to weight. We ran over weight with our new 38' fiver and immediately started blowing tire-s! Brought the weight down and no more tire issues. You'll figure out. We all do!! Good luck.
Because boondocking out west might be 100 miles from nearest hose connection. Never leave home without a full tank...except in winter.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #35

I'd verify what trailer you have. The GVWR is whatever is printed on the VIN tag, even if it's pure fiction. Guys who pull Hotshot trailers have them derated from what they could be all the time to avoid needing a CDL. State-of-resident laws apply for non-commercial towing.

It's not unknown for manufacturers to put the wrong VIN tag on trailers. The 27RQDX and 27RQMX model numbers looked like the same number to me at first thinking someone had a made typo. The especially look the same stacked.

27RQDX
27RQMX

Easy mistake for the rushed factory worker on the plant floor, too.

If the VIN plate is wrong have FR send you a correct one. As is your GVWR is 9999 pounds. And it gets deeper. Your title may also be wrong. And your state may require a special or commercial license to pull the higher rated trailer.

For all I know these are identical trailers with just different model numbers to juggle the legal limitations for GVWR. If so there is no physical danger "overloading" the 9999-rated trailer to 10,995. Legal problem, maybe.

I'm sticking with my Roo.

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #36

I think you're about 700 pounds light on your truck weight. My 2016 F-350 Crew Cab Diesel Platinum weighs just over 8,800 half full of fuel with two people on board.
SDFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You are "spot on" here and everyone seems to be overlooking the fact they are using the wrong number!
OP did you notice this?

No i did not. The sticker on the side of the trailer says 27RQDX, the model on the vin sticker says T27RQMX-CA

Never noticed this.........Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	230312
DuneRun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneRun05 View Post
No i did not. The sticker on the side of the trailer says 27RQDX, the model on the vin sticker says T27RQMX-CA

Never noticed this.........Attachment 230312
Looks like someone on the assembly line grabbed the wrong sticker for your model? Going to be a good reminder for me to check that all the stickers, manuals, etc all match the model number on the FR sticker!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #39

I have a T24RQMX which is close to yours. First, water. With water in all your lines and hot water tank, you have about 60lbs. If you put water in your tank, you will find you have about 10 gallons unuseable. So, at minimum you need to carry 40 gallons in the tank. Total water weight about 380 pounds. That's only giving you 30 gallons useable. Next, is tongue weight. Off the top of my head, I the FR puts it at 1187. Well, mines 1440 with 50 gallons of water, hot water and lines primed, NO toy. With toy, RZR trail 900, loaded not all the way but towards the front,puts tongue weight at 1500. Toy or no toy, I weigh in at 9700 pounds on my trips. This is because without toy I am cross country traveling with more food, drinks, clothes, water, etc. With toy, I carry less water, food and gear. Lastly, from experience (mine is a 2017), the axles and spring hangers are crap. PM me if interested and I can send pics of the major damage done when carrying a trike and loaded for a trip at 9800 pounds. We almost died. I had everything weighed, trailer loaded, trailer rear axle, tongue weight, truck and truck with trailer. Only weight I did not get was trailer front axle weight. All of my weights and percentages were "in limits". If I may ask, what hitch do you have? Are your trailer tires load D or E?
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtci2006 View Post
All of my weights and percentages were "in limits". If I may ask, what hitch do you have? Are your trailer tires load D or E?

They are load range E. Stamped on the side of the tire: Max load single 2830 lbs at 80 psi. Hitch is an Eaz-Lift for 1600 lbs tongue weight

The spring hangers look pretty basic, but it has this little goodie on it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	230324  
DuneRun05 is offline   Reply With Quote