Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Just ordered new 2017 T28RQDX

Hi All,

Last Saturday I ordered a new 2017 T28RQDX. Wondering if there is anyone else who has the same rig. I was told by a Forest River rep that this rig is virtually identical to the Sandstorm 282SLR and the Stealth FQ2817 (built on the same assembly line)

I ordered it with the following options: I left off a TV as I will add my own, same with the power tongue jack.
bhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

We have the F28SAGDX fifth wheel (2016 model year) with nearly identical floor plan (and made at same plant) as your TT. We are happy. I can tell you a few things to watch for, and the things we particularly like:
Watch for:
  • Sofa pull-up method (to pull up along wall to load toys): If you find yourself struggling, you are doing it wrong. Lots of people report frustration with this - but once you figure out what you are doing wrong, it is trivial. If you find yourself struggling, take a good look at the mechanism or check the forums.
  • Water leaks: Any new vehicle with have some "manufacturing defects" - ours included total lack of sealant along top of entry door - there simply wasn't any there. I clued in on this when we found water on the floor just inside the door, right after the first good rain. Was simpler for me to just fix it myself than take it in. But do a good inspection all around for leaks after first heavy rain. We also had (at 1 year) a leak at front cap (fifth wheel cap) at roof.
  • If you have the dreaded sub-woofer, just find the amplifier and turn it off. It is worthless. Some report having re-mounted it in an enclosure and said it was then worth while, but as mounted it is really just eye candy.
  • Ceiling Speakers: Pretty poor as well, but "ok". Will be changing them out at some point. Could be different in the 2017 (?).
  • Bed mattress is junk (true for any RV that isn't luxury level): But my wife bought a 3" memory foam pad and put it on top, and now it is better sleeping than the expensive mattress in our home! Was way cheaper (and lighter) solution than replacing with a "real" mattress.
  • Check for options - did you get what you ordered? I don't think it is a rampant problem w/ Forrest River, but a few people (including us) didn't have something that was supposed to be there based on the factory options sheet. In my case I had the 13.5K BTU A/C instead of 15K BTU. Forrest River took care of it when I found the mistake. For that one, just drop the air-intake grill (filter cover) and you can look in and easily see the model/spec decal.
  • LED awning light! LED lights everywhere! Look great and extend battery life compared to incandescent bulbs of yesteryear.
  • The 200w solar panel is just awesome - especially if you dry camp (which we do a lot).
  • Fresh water capacity (again - we dry camp)
  • Interior design - we liked the Shockwave styling better than the Sandstorm or Stealth.
  • What we got for what we paid. In this price/category, I think the Forrest River Stealth/Shockwave/Sandstorm offer good value for the price, and a great selection of options and floor plans (like the sofa slide, which we also have and love).
Enjoy - and welcome to the FR community!
Jim
mcwhirtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Hi mcwhirtj, thanks for the comments.

This will be our 4th camper since 2005 so we got the usual learning curve things down. Should not be an issue to fold up the couch.

Thanks for the reminder on checking for leaks! Good to know of the sub and speakers. Putting a memory foam topper on the master bed mattress is something we have done with the last 3 campers and is a must!
As far as checking for the other options, like the 15K, that's sad we have to do this now days but seems necessary

Glad to hear on the items you like! Thank you!

Anyone else?
bhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #4

Got an update on getting our new Shockwave. Should arrive at our dealer March 24-25!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #5

Congrats!
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #6

Well now my dealer is saying April 1!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

It's April 4th. Did you get your trailer?
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobec View Post
It's April 4th. Did you get your trailer?
No, it looks like it will be Thursday or Friday of this week. Finally getting close. I spoke with the FR sales rep throughout the day today. My rig had past QC but they were waiting to get the 2 rocker chairs delivered by the vendor. They are supposed to arrive by end of business today. Then it will be picked up by a 3rd party delivery service and should arrive some time Thursday at my dealer. Then I will make the dealer do a good PDI so either Thursday late or Friday.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

Guess that gives you time to plan a camping trip.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobec View Post
Guess that gives you time to plan a camping trip.
Already have our first trip booked to Bryce Canyon in Utah. Staying at Ruby's Inn campground April 13-16.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #11

My new Shockwave has just arrived at my dealership!! They are working on the PDI now. Pics to follow soon.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

Sweet! Congratulations!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Here is a couple pics:

Old 04-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Nice! Congrats.
mcwhirtj is offline   Reply With Quote