Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Leaky Ramp Door fix-- question

Noticed the ramp door was allowing water to leak in during rain from the top of the door and around some of the bolts along the bottom. We replaced the seal/gasket with a thicker gasket. We caulked all the bolt connections and along the gaps where we thought water could travel in. The leaks around the bottom were fixed with this, however it seams that the door just isn't held snug enough at the top to get a good seal. We think we perhaps could add some sort of lip or awning above the ramp door, or some time of clamp to get a tighter close at the top.
Has anyone added something like this, or dealt with this issue before? We bought ours out of state, it is past the warranty period and we know service depts. are hit or miss so we really want to DIY this if someone has some ideas or suggestions.
FRShockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

My 29kw has the same issue. Mine doesnt leak but isnt as tight as it should be. Im going to get some material in the next few days to fix it. Ill post it when i figure out which thickness to add to the jam side to seal it.
HighDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

"FRShockwave": Go to a local auto body shop and ask about a "shim" they use behind gaskets to make them thicker where needed. I understand that you added a thicker gasket but you may need a bit more thickness just at the top of the door. You may even find this available at shops for large trucks as they are notorious for not sealing at the top of the doors especially at highway speeds.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

I’m surprised it doesn’t have a small gutter above. I’ve had several ramp door utility trailers and all have had some sort of gutter above the ramp. Our W&P has one also.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5670.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	187651
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, leak