Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Mounting heater on wall

I am trying to mount a blue flame heater on the wall of our toy hauler. I cannot find a "stud" any place near where I want to mount it. I tried my "electronic" stud finder thinking it would locate them, no luck. The walls are the foam and fiberglass laminate. Wondering what suggestions you folks may have on mounting it to this type of wall.

Thanks

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Some of the foam/fiberglass laminate walls don't have studs, others do. Some only have any kind of studs around doors and windows and maybe corners where walls join.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Some only have any kind of studs around doors and windows and maybe corners where walls join.
That's the case for me- there are only studs around the doors and windows with a few others here or there.

I actually took advantage of a dewy morning a couple of weeks ago. You could pretty clearly see where the studs were. I took pictures, measurements, and made some sketches so that I could refer back to them later.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Always Learning

But unfortunately, I don’t have an answer to your real question- how to mount it.

If you can wait for a dewy morning, you can really verify if there are studs or not. You might be able to contact FR/Shockwave to see if wall diagrams exist and if they’re willing to share them (for my brand, Sabre, people with newer rigs have gotten them but when I asked they said they didn’t exist).

As for bolting- I personally would be tempted to glue and screw a larger piece of wood to the wall and then mount the heater to that.

I think OldCoot installed a handrail for his inside (fifth wheel) steps and actually bolted the whole way through the wall to the outside. But, my memory could be faulty on that one.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

[QUOTE=ependydad;1632415]But unfortunately, I don’t have an answer to your real question- how to mount it.
As for bolting- I personally would be tempted to glue and screw a larger piece of wood to the wall and then mount the heater to that.

I thought of doing this with a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. I went ahead and used the nylon anchors that came with it. I checked at a hole we had punched in the wall with a RZR door when unloading one time. I realize the luan covering the styrofoam isn't the strongest stuff but maybe it will work. I'll keep an eye on it. We plan on taking it down in the summer when we don't need it, winter time it will get lots of use.

Thanks for the replies.

Jack

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

What's on the outside where you want to install? If clear, drill hole completely through. Mount a piece of polished stainless steel to the inside. Use cap nuts on outside. Sometimes called acorn nuts. Polished panel will reflect heat back into room, prevent wall from getting hot. Then mount heater to this piece of steel. Summertime, remove heater. Place a table in front of panel.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #7

A little follow up on the heater install. Used it 7 days in temps down to 18*. Really was a life saver in the evenings when we got too cold to sit out by the fire. Worked as advertised. We did learn we still needed to let the furnace run at night, water to toilet froze one night but thawed next morning, that was the only problem we had with low temps.
Our cat doesn't like it as well as the old radiant heater, she would lay in front of it and sleep. This doesn't "radiate" the heat so she didn't have a hot spot.
Nice to not to have to take a chance with the propane bottle in the camper, a little scary. Now more like home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	153964  

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 10-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Always Learning

Awesome report! I need to do something to try and conserve propane. When we get into cool days and nights, I go through it like a frat boy and a beer keg.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
Site Team

That's a neat looking install. Just the pic looks really cozy.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
Just as confused as you

You do know that those types of heaters should not be used in an enclosed environment without opening a window for fresh air ventilation?

Many people have died from using them indoors improperly. Anybody remember the kerosene heaters that were popular for extra heat back in the 70's?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You do know that those types of heaters should not be used in an enclosed environment without opening a window for fresh air ventilation?

Many people have died from using them indoors improperly. Anybody remember the kerosene heaters that were popular for extra heat back in the 70's?

We are well aware of the hazards. We have a window in the back & a vent or two open in the front with a small fan running. Really worked out great down to 18*.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Ok, just thought I bring it up just in case. Not trying to burst your bubble.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
A little follow up on the heater install. Used it 7 days in temps down to 18*. Really was a life saver in the evenings when we got too cold to sit out by the fire. Worked as advertised. We did learn we still needed to let the furnace run at night, water to toilet froze one night but thawed next morning, that was the only problem we had with low temps.
Our cat doesn't like it as well as the old radiant heater, she would lay in front of it and sleep. This doesn't "radiate" the heat so she didn't have a hot spot.
Nice to not to have to take a chance with the propane bottle in the camper, a little scary. Now more like home.
Nice looking install.
For future reference for the cat... they make two versions of that propane wall heater. One heats the air (like you have) and one is a ceramic radiant heater.
Maybe you knew that... maybe you didn't... just sayin'.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Nice looking install.

For future reference for the cat... they make two versions of that propane wall heater. One heats the air (like you have) and one is a ceramic radiant heater.

Maybe you knew that... maybe you didn't... just sayin'.

Yes, we had a portable radiant heater that we had to have the tank in the camper, scary plus the radiant part was a little more dangerous I thought.
We really like this one. Water heater (on demand) and furnace with this heater used 15 gallon of propane in a week of snow and cold weather.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500

Tags
heater, mount