Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
Jukebox

New power cord

I need to buy a new Power cord for my RV. While looking at etrailer.com I noticed some power chords have red ends on them while others have yellow, I’m wondering if these colors signify anything or if that just happens to be the brand? I’m really convinced that not all power cords are the same. I need a new one because the one that came with my used travel trailer as a hotspot on one end.
Jukebox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #2

Take a look at your power cord and see what kind of connections it has. Some have a locking feature like this one...https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Power...s%2C189&sr=8-3

I don't think the color matters. Some manufacturers color their cords and ends differently. Your cord is probably 30 amp?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #3
Jukebox

it is a 30amp twist lock. It’s 25’ long. I’m trying to decide if I should go with the Camco 30’ replacement cord with 90° ends or completely changed to the new smart plug. Just to be on the safe side I am incorporating a combination polarity detector and surge protector.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 AM   #4

Why not just replace the bad end/plug on your exciting cord.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
Jukebox

There are a few soft spots in the cords and it’s ten years old. If it were only a few years old that would definitely be my first plan, but again 10 years old with a few soft spots and a hot spot on the end that plugs into the camper it just seems safer altogether to buy a brand new power cord, plus it’s only 25 foot long and the plug on the side of the trailer is closer to the middle instead of the rear this way I can get a 30 foot which actually gives me a little more links.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

Amazon is your friend. Go with the 90 degree ends. Straight down weight on the cord is best. Smart plug is just a marketing gimmick. Twist locks work just fine as long as you TWIST them in place and apply the locking ring.

Cut the hot spot off your cord and replace the end and save it for a spare extention. My cord is 16 years old.

Do good research and buy an Progressive Industries EMS. Don't try to skimp with the price. PI is guaranteed for life. Portable or hard wired. Choice is yours. As an electrician I prefer the portable. If it screws up you can unplug it and carry on. If the hard wired screws up and the by pass doesn't work you need an electrician. A surge protector is much different than an EMS. and it not just the $200.00 price difference. Surge Guard is a registered brand name. Surge protector is a generic name of a particular type of device. Surge Guard is only guaranteed for 1 year. A surge Protector is good for 1 hit only. it self districts by design.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox64 View Post
it is a 30amp twist lock. It’s 25’ long. I’m trying to decide if I should go with the Camco 30’ replacement cord with 90° ends or completely changed to the new smart plug. Just to be on the safe side I am incorporating a combination polarity detector and surge protector.
Go with the Smartplug... It is easy to plug in, no wiggle and a much more secure connection... No guessing which way to plug it in.. Never have to worry if the ring is tight enough... I changed mine the day I brought my new trailer home... Check some of the Marine Parts stores online... You might find a better price f rom them I bought mine through Ebay at the best price I could find. Some of the newer upscale trailers are now coming with the Smartplug….
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power