RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-01-2020, 12:37 AM   #1

What's up with my water heater??

Hello all,

I have a 2019 27RQDX. Have not used it much because of all this Covid garbage, so, of course the warranty has expired.

Spent 4 days this past weekend out in the desert with the dirt toys. The water heater ran on gas the whole time. When showering, the hot water only lasted about 2 minutes. I realize it's only 6 gallons, but the same size tank in my old hauler lasted a lot longer. Prior to this, we were up in Mammoth, Ca where it got down to the low 40's at night and the hot water worked fine.

I have never used the outside shower, but did verify both fixture valves were closed. I also have never touched the heater bypass valve. Possible thermostat??

Second question (sorry for the long post).
Half of the electrical plug for the TV has stopped working. Is this just a standard household, square style electrical plug available at any hardware store?

Thanks for reading.
DuneRun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneRun05 View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2019 27RQDX. Have not used it much because of all this Covid garbage, so, of course the warranty has expired.

————

Second question (sorry for the long post).
Half of the electrical plug for the TV has stopped working. Is this just a standard household, square style electrical plug available at any hardware store?

Thanks for reading.
When you say TV, I assume you mean television (some people use TV to mean tow vehicle), and by plug you mean the outlet. If so, a 120 volt electrical outlet in an RV can sometimes be a special type that has quick connect push on connections for the wiring, and they don’t install into a typical electrical box. I suggest you shut off power, remove the outlet from the wall or cabinet and determine what type of outlet it is.

If by plug you mean the plug on the television’s power cord, then that would be a standard plug you could buy at a hardware store.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I would STILL confirm the bypass was completely closed.

However:

The thermostat on a Suburban water heater uses a bellows type switch that opens and closes the switch to maintain water temperature. They are pretty easy to replace.

There are two of them, one for the DC/GAS side and one for the AC side of the heat source.

In this photo, the AC side on the left (black wires) has melted a fusible link between the two connections so that the AC side would not work at all.

The DC side is on the right (red wires).

They do work independently so you can use one or the other, or both together (if shore power is available) for quicker reheat response time.

Just make sure the power is disconnected from the battery and the external power before changing these because a short will cause other problems.

ALSO NOTE: They are NOT interchangeable. You need to buy the AC side one for the AC side and the DC side one for the DC side.

A source (can get most anywhere):

120 Volt Side:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Subur...f90dcc073580cc

12 Volt Side:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Subur...-p/42-0633.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC - Water heater thermostat.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	243973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Limit Switch Reset.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	243974   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad connection.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	243975  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

Many thanks for the replies. I assume the bypass for the water heater is in the cabinet behind the unit. If that doesn't work, then i will change out the DC thermostat.

As for my plug, yes, I was referring to the 120V receptacle on the wall inside the trailer.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #5

RV Outlet

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies. I assume the bypass for the water heater is in the cabinet behind the unit. If that doesn't work, then i will change out the DC thermostat.

As for my plug, yes, I was referring to the 120V receptacle on the wall inside the trailer.
This is a link to the outlet used in RVs. The wire is clamped in from the back side.

It is more than likely that the wire was carelessly placed, and not that the outlet is defective. Turn off all power to the RV. Then snap off the cover and LOOSEN the two screws. DO NOT fully remove them. Pull the assembly from the wall, reseat the cable and clamp it, and reinstall and all should be well.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
This is a link to the outlet used in RVs. The wire is clamped in from the back side.

It is more than likely that the wire was carelessly placed, and not that the outlet is defective. Turn off all power to the RV. Then snap off the cover and LOOSEN the two screws. DO NOT fully remove them. Pull the assembly from the wall, reseat the cable and clamp it, and reinstall and all should be well.
I'll give that a shot, just seems odd that half of the plug works.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I'll give that a shot, just seems odd that half of the plug works.
Not odd at all look at these photos... if the wires are crimped into the top half but have come loose from the bottom half... only half the outlet works.

Also, we've had reports where someone will plug a high amperage device into an outlet with loose connections and the wire will actually burn/melt off on the back side causing either the top half or the bottom half of the plug to not function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1560736527577.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	244014  
Attached Images

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

Makes sense, ill have to wait till.this weekend to check, its dark when I get home home work.

Thank you all.for the insight.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #9

And if...

Quote:
Makes sense, ill have to wait till.this weekend to check, its dark when I get home home work.

Thank you all.for the insight.
And if you've burned up the outlet, I gave you a source for a new one in Post #5.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater