Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Question 2015 Stealth - Fuel Filter Replacement

Fired up the Onan 4000 (4KYFA-6747P) the other day and it was surging. Did a seafoam treatment to stop that, but figured it was a good time to do a complete tune up anyways. Got the oil replaced, the air filter replaced and moved on to the fuel filter which is where I got stuck.

After contorting myself under it to get an angle where I could actually see it, the first problem is it isn't using an adjustable hose clamp, but one of the crimped clamps. The second problem is there is literally no room to get to anything as the generator support beam in directly beneath the connection and even if that wasn't in the way, the heat shield is so close I don't think I could remove the filter out of the side or get a wrench on it. Only things I can think of are to completely drop the generator or lay in the storage compartment, cut a hole in the heat shield, replace it through the hole and patch it.

Anyone else with their Onan in the storage compartment replaced their fuel filter and if so, how???
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Brake is on left

Not on a FR trailer, but the one in my friends was literally impossible without removing the genny. What we ended up doing was removing the fuel line from the gen and slid the line down and out through the floor that the gen sits on. we then cut the line and installed a filter under the trailer along the frame. We then routed new line from the filter to the genny. It was a task from hades in the heat but filter changes are a 10 minute job for him now.
Just an option to think of.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Photos of the situation -

Generator in the compartment:

Filter side:

View from underneath:

Limited view of filter (blue clamp is fuel line clamped to the filter):
Old 09-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Not on a FR trailer, but the one in my friends was literally impossible without removing the genny. What we ended up doing was removing the fuel line from the gen and slid the line down and out through the floor that the gen sits on. we then cut the line and installed a filter under the trailer along the frame. We then routed new line from the filter to the genny. It was a task from hades in the heat but filter changes are a 10 minute job for him now.
Just an option to think of.
Sounds rough, but will consider it. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #5

No other ideas?

Bueller, Bueller?
Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
AMG

You finish this? update please
Old 09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Not yet, just got back from boondocking in Kaibab and now back to work.

I will provide an update when I get it figured out and replaced.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #8

Exclamation I did it! It sucked...

Well, it was a royal PITA, but I got it replaced. Had to clear the storage compartment out, cut open a sizeable chunk of the heat shield, destroy the non-adjustable clamp and basically pray that I got the new filter threaded correctly. I imagine a dealer would just remove the generator to replace the filter, given everything I had to do and all of the time it took to accomplish. I bent the heat shielding out of the way and put it back as straight as I could, but I imagine that eventually it will break off anyways due to the back and forth. I grabbed some galvanized flashing and some metal HVAC tape to seal it all up after. Some pics my wife and I took:

Dremel and cut-off wheel (half of a fire extinguisher, just in case):

New access panel (old t-shirt I got wet to absorb the sparks as I cut):

Removing old filter:

Careful, confined space:

Patch material:

Patched up:

Tags
cummins onan, fuel, fuel filter, generator, replacement