Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #21

Possibly the same issue, simple fix.

I also had some problems keeping the fridge lit when it was on gas. I checked the fitting leading to the fridge along the gas line and found 3 of them barely had tight. I snugged them up with a crescent wrench and the issue went away. I thought it was just another example of poor attention to details from the factory.
31NDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
EJJ

Dometic Refrigerator 2852

The igniter was the issue with difficulty in starting, my next question is, do I have to have sufficient battery power to keep it running? I ask this because last week while camping with my grandson (self contained), the fridge burner would shut off sometime during the night, mind you now I was running the heater also on battery power, I do have 2 twelve volt deep cycles and solar panel to maintain charge. The batteries are at least 5 years old and here in Arizona you do good if a battery last that long, so when furnace would come on and run for a while, that may drain batteries low enough to shut off the fridge solenoids. Does this all sound reasonable?

Ernie
EJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJJ View Post
The igniter was the issue with difficulty in starting, my next question is, do I have to have sufficient battery power to keep it running?
Ernie
Yes.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #24
EJJ

That's what I thought, because I did turn the battery disconnect to check my hunch and it shut the fridge down, flame and all. So I guess replace both batteries.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 01:43 AM   #25

Quote:
That's what I thought, because I did turn the battery disconnect to check my hunch and it shut the fridge down, flame and all. So I guess replace both batteries.

Thanks
If the furnace is kicking on there should be enough battery power for the fridge. Its a very small draw for the fridge. My my two gc batteries i can get 10 days running mostly just the fridge. Now if the furnace killed the battery yes your fridge will not run either.

I would check for spiders and other insects by the gas output or around the igniter.

I would only swap the batteries after testing them to see if there is actually a problem unless you just want new ones.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #26

I agree with the other posters, check the batteries first. But, 5 year old batteries are pretty long in the tooth. If you are going to replace them I would consider a pair of 6 volt deep cycle. I have had both the pair of 12 volt and the pair of 6 volt, I had a better service life out of the 6 volt. The 6 volt I have used were nothing special, Walmart deep cycle 6 volt around $100 bucks each. We camp mostly without services, but I do have solar on the roof to keep them charged.
31NDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #27
EJJ

I have 2 12 volt interstate, originals that came with the trailer, also a 300 watt solar panel, I will load test them and go from there.

thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
I have 2 12 volt interstate, originals that came with the trailer, also a 300 watt solar panel, I will load test them and go from there.

thanks
Yep, those are the typical cheap dual-purpose marine batteries that most dealers install. They are not true deep cycle batteries, like a 6v golf cart battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler