Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Any opinions on a 2019 Stealth 2916G toy hauler?

We just bought a gently used (6 months old) Stealth 2916G toy hauler that appears in brand new condition, would anyone who owns one please give me your opinion on the particular model, what to watch for, what are the problems, general build quality?

I would appreciate any input from people that have experience with owning a Forest River, it doesn't need to be this exact model, thanks a lot for any help with this.
31NDONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

I have a sandstorm, its just the same a stealth. works great for me, i love it.
wtildens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

Thanks, I just don't know much about them and wanted opinions about what I'm in, you know, all the issues the dealership doesn't tell you about LOL.
31NDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

I don't really have much problems with mine. Run your generator, dont baby it. if you let it sit with out using it, you'll have problems.

I've had to redo lots of silicone calking. I could see after a while that it didn't stick with the flexing.

your cargo latches will break, but easily replaced.

the big window, the know to open gets loose overtime, nothing to worry about just a bit of a pain.

I can't say i have really had any major problems, luckily.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #5

I have been addressing the caulking issue, mine is doing the same. Have you had any slide problems, it just seems like a lot of weight to move on 4 small rails?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

knocking on wood. No problems to date. keep them clean.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

Shod

I bought a new Sandstorm trailer last year in June of 2019. Now I understand that they build these things quick, but Forrest Rivers
quality checks are horrible.

I had a list of 35 items that I had to get fixed under the warranty. The major issues being that my slide out was not properly aligned, when closed one of the bottom corners had a 1 1/2 inch gap between the sidewall and slide while the other 3 corners fit flush. Dealer tried to correct (its better than it was). The screws in the ladder where pulling out of the sidewall, linoleum floor was bubbled through out and had to be glued down and fixed, sensors for hold tanks did not work (apparently a ground wire was not connected), mounting bracket for kitchen drawers was poorly designed (the drawers sag with any weight placed in them), front end cap (fiberglass) had tiny cracks on both sides that ran from top to bottom, hot water on outside shower did not work, pull down shade in kitchen was crooked along with other smaller issues. However the big one is the fact that the sidewall where the front meets the end cap was already starting to have some delamination issues which I didn't find until after getting it home from just having all of the other repairs done. So it is back in for a second time. The dealer is telling me they have to cut out that section out and re-fiber glass and paint to fix. Which I'm seriously ticked off about, that should never have to happen with a brand new trailer. The dealer has been great to work with, but I totally think Forrest River needs to take a look at there quality control as it quite frankly sucks. When your paying close to 40 thousand dollars for an RV you expect better quality. I just wonder what else I'm going to find even after I've already gone through it with a fine tooth comb. Oh I need to also add that the caulking job that was done on the entire trailer was extremely sloppy.
Troutflys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

I agree, every RV I have ever owned I would swear it was built on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend by a bunch of guys that had never built one before! Sorry for all your problems, and thank you for responding to my question. Those are problems I'll look for on mine. Luckily I have not had any slide issues yet, but I know I will at some point. Slides always have issues it seems. My caulking job was crap also, I have been over the entire trailer and replaced all of it. Fixed a couple of window shades, drawer slides, cabinet hinges, missing screws, etc. Thanks for your response, those are issues I'll keep an eye out for, good luck with your repairs, I know it's a pain, but easier to deal with when you are home rather than out on the road.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:11 AM   #9

We love ours, but...

Ours is a 2016 Stealth WA2916, but if your sink is on the slide, be sure to check the plumbing under the sink! We’ve had ours pop off at least 3 times causing a flood. You have to remove the panel that is on the back side of the sink ( towards the garage). Somehow, after 3 floods, hubby finally got it to stay on.
We have had the usual loose shades & screws, but most of the wear comes from the horrible CA roads we have to drive on!
Some upgrades & mods we’ve done: We just upgraded the mattress, have added the MORryde CRE 3000 suspension kit, MORryde Solid Steps in the back,(BEST mod ever!) Torklift Steps in the front (for access while stored in our shop), had new laminate flooring installed , added a remote controlled MaxxAir fan over the bed as well as Max Air Vent Covers on all vents and changed the batteries to the 6 volt golf cart ones. (We boondock a lot!)
We have gone cross country with our Harley and now haul our RZR. We spend 3 months in ours every summer and travel a lot, but it is holding up well! Hope you love yours as much as we love ours!
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #10

I have a 2016 2515, and it has been okay. I still find metal filings from the factory after a trip. I have vacuumed every nook and corner I can stretch the hose to, and still get them, although only a couple now.

If you are going to use it as a toy hauler, check the tie downs. I had one pull out, and after fixing that, I found two others that were not screwed into the frame like they should have.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the information Donna and Wileyguy. I appreciate the information and the things you have noticed that could have been handled just a little better at the factory, prior to the sale to the end user. My wife and I have taken ours out 5 times this summer to work out any issues before we start desert camping this winter. We were out about a week each trip and had no issues, at least one's I didn't cause. Had a couple tie downs pull loose on the first trip, I knew they were the super cheapest ones so I didn't expect much. I replaced them all with better quality and have had no problems.
And I checked everything under the sink Donna, it was a mess, but luckily I fixed things up before I had any problem. Thanks again for the comments from both of you. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #12

Hi Donna, could you please tell me what size steps you guys ordered for the back door? My wife wants me to get those, just not sure on the right size. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaS View Post
Ours is a 2016 Stealth WA2916, but if your sink is on the slide, be sure to check the plumbing under the sink! We’ve had ours pop off at least 3 times causing a flood. You have to remove the panel that is on the back side of the sink ( towards the garage). Somehow, after 3 floods, hubby finally got it to stay on.
We have had the usual loose shades & screws, but most of the wear comes from the horrible CA roads we have to drive on!
Some upgrades & mods we’ve done: We just upgraded the mattress, have added the MORryde CRE 3000 suspension kit, MORryde Solid Steps in the back,(BEST mod ever!) Torklift Steps in the front (for access while stored in our shop), had new laminate flooring installed , added a remote controlled MaxxAir fan over the bed as well as Max Air Vent Covers on all vents and changed the batteries to the 6 volt golf cart ones. (We boondock a lot!)
We have gone cross country with our Harley and now haul our RZR. We spend 3 months in ours every summer and travel a lot, but it is holding up well! Hope you love yours as much as we love ours!
First weekend my 2016 wa2916 dripped under the p-trap down on to the schwintek controller and shorted it out. it broke and was a nightmare. the free roadside service (name eludes me now) apparently broke the motors and ripped the wiring (or so I was told when it sat at the dealer for like 4 weeks to get fixed). Good times...

Less than a year in, I had the roof leaking, to which I took it in, they applied silicone in the WRONG SPOT, so that 4 months after that (and my warranty gone) it leaked again. I found the leak, took it back and they had to fight between dealer and FR to figure out who was going to pay. FR agreed to pay for the parts and the dealer agreed to not charge me any labor. Dodged a bullet there.

Other than that, its been great.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
First weekend my 2016 wa2916 dripped under the p-trap down on to the schwintek controller and shorted it out. it broke and was a nightmare. the free roadside service (name eludes me now) apparently broke the motors and ripped the wiring (or so I was told when it sat at the dealer for like 4 weeks to get fixed). Good times...

Less than a year in, I had the roof leaking, to which I took it in, they applied silicone in the WRONG SPOT, so that 4 months after that (and my warranty gone) it leaked again. I found the leak, took it back and they had to fight between dealer and FR to figure out who was going to pay. FR agreed to pay for the parts and the dealer agreed to not charge me any labor. Dodged a bullet there.

Other than that, its been great.
So basically what you are saying is "other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"
Old 09-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #15
AMG

Good one. I had to google that as I’m younger I suppose.

I didn’t even bother to mention the propane pipe leaking under the trailer, two doors falling off the cabinets, the toilet broke, the counter delaminated, the tailgate doesn’t seal properly and you can see a 1/4 of sky if you look on the edge, prob more **** I can’t think of right now.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #16

I couldn't agree more that based on what you pay for an RV they are basically a piece of junk that require numerous, and continuing fixes. Our toy hauler has basically become my hobby in retirement, and if I wasn't retired there is no way I would have the time to do all of the constant little fixes that it requires to keep it in at least usable condition. I have pretty much accepted that fact that every trip we take it on something isn't going to work correctly, or just break outright. But for us it is still a huge step up from the old days of a tent and sleeping bags, although those days were way less complicated.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #17

And just FYI, I had the same issue with the tailgate. I used a couple rolls of 1/2 inch foam insulation the I placed on the existing foam gasket all the way around the door and then pressed the door closed and locked it for a couple days. When I opened it the gasket, with the extra foam, stayed in place and the problem was solved. It was an easy fix to an irritating problem.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #18
EJJ

Dometic Refrigerator 2852

I have a 2015 Stealth WA 2916, my issue is
with the refrigerator: 1. Most of the time it will not ignite on it’s own when using, I have to go out and light it manually. The igniter is clicking though, stove works fine, water heater works fine, furnace works fine. Once I get it lit after a few hours, say during the night, the check light is on and The fridge isn’t working until I go and relight it. This has just started happening with the last few trips. I haven’t tried yet on shore line, since I do mostly self contained. Any ideas ?

Ernie
EJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
AMG

My 2016 wa2916 fridge takes 3-4 cycles before it starts. This only happens when I disconnect or turn off the propane tank. I believe the reason is there is a tinnny leak in the propane pipe which I have been able to find with soapy water. I mean small little bubble. I just deal with it each time I use it and move on. Not thinking it’s worth redoing the pipe to fix it. Still it 100% is FR fault as it’s been an issue since day1 and I just didn’t know. I always turn on the stove first to get that portion of the air out but the only way to bleed the fridge is let it click click click and try with an occasional pop but fail, till it lights fully. Gl
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #20
EJJ

I haven't really found anything wrong, but what's got me puzzled is the shutting off after a couple of ours, especially during the night.
EJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler