Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #61

Should have all repairs done this week. My trailer guy has got a plan and it makes sense and is not terribly expensive. He noted that the overall condition of the frame is good and it is his thought this is strictly a torsion issue from turning the trailer. Nothing to do with overloading or pot hole strikes as mentioned by Lippert. I think this is the best course and look forward to getting on with RV life and fun. YOu all keep checking your rigs for cracks or bad welds.

I must say after getting the estimate to repair it would have been in Forest River's and Lipperts's best interest to have generated good customer relations rather than me having to rant and rave about this situation. As soon as I know exactly what the repairs cost are I will pass that information on. I can only guess the reason for their reluctance is there must be more problems and acceptance of responsibility could creat further legal problems.
soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #62
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloco View Post
Should have all repairs done this week. My trailer guy has got a plan and it makes sense and is not terribly expensive. He noted that the overall condition of the frame is good and it is his thought this is strictly a torsion issue from turning the trailer. Nothing to do with overloading or pot hole strikes as mentioned by Lippert. I think this is the best course and look forward to getting on with RV life and fun. YOu all keep checking your rigs for cracks or bad welds.

I must say after getting the estimate to repair it would have been in Forest River's and Lipperts's best interest to have generated good customer relations rather than me having to rant and rave about this situation. As soon as I know exactly what the repairs cost are I will pass that information on. I can only guess the reason for their reluctance is there must be more problems and acceptance of responsibility could creat further legal problems.
Good luck my phriend and have phun this summer !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #63

Good to hear, soccerloco.
Yes, if Lippert admitted to you that their frames are defective and poorly engineered, they would have to fix all of them.
Much cheaper to just ignore their mistakes and blow off all of their customers.
Who the heck owns Lippert anyway?
If I were them, I would be ashamed of my company.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Good to hear, soccerloco.
Yes, if Lippert admitted to you that their frames are defective and poorly engineered, they would have to fix all of them.
Much cheaper to just ignore their mistakes and blow off all of their customers.
Who the heck owns Lippert anyway?
If I were them, I would be ashamed of my company.
It's a dang shame they're getting away with this nonsense.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #65

Truly forest river is their customer and they are the responsible part. I bought RV from them and paid for an extended warranty. I have a Dodge truck with a cummins motor when warranty work is done on motor I go to Dodge. Apparently this how Forest River does buiness. I can't imagine hanging one of your customers out to dry.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #66

picked up trailer and got bill $1075. Includes repairing cracks adding new cross memeber to stabilize tandem wheel area and it looks great. Leaving for a trip this morning,..,.will shoot some photos when I return and will update you all everything is working....Forest River and Lippert certainly for good customer service and particularly in light of the fact I had a warranty could have split this bill and I would have been complimenting and encouraging folks to be dealing with these people but no that left me hanging.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #67
RV Newbie

Quote:
picked up trailer and got bill $1075. Includes repairing cracks adding new cross memeber to stabilize tandem wheel area and it looks great. Leaving for a trip this morning,..,.will shoot some photos when I return and will update you all everything is working....Forest River and Lippert certainly for good customer service and particularly in light of the fact I had a warranty could have split this bill and I would have been complimenting and encouraging folks to be dealing with these people but no that left me hanging.
Send the bill to both of them and demand payment in full. If you can have your welder write a findings report to include.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #68
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

Send the bill to both of them and demand payment in full. If you can have your welder write a findings report to include.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #69
MI Camperz

Ditto. Now that you have her up and running, you have time to pursue a formal paperwork trail. By the time it gets to small claims, you can enjoy many camping trips.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #70
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Ditto. Now that you have her up and running, you have time to pursue a formal paperwork trail. By the time it gets to small claims, you can enjoy many camping trips.
Yep, now that you have quantified their liablity they might be more reasonable, especially if your welder's observations contradict their bs excuses.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #71

I would keep hammering at FR till they pay the bill ! Get the media involved. It is not the amount, it is the principle of the thing ! The burden of proof that you abused the trailer is on them ! Their say so is NOT the proof !
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #72
MI Camperz

Touche'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Potholes? LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #73

just returned from a trip to california. must say with new cross members in tandem wheel area that the trailer even pulls better than before. After straightening the angle supports for the water tanks that after arriving at destination and filling tanks they are bowed again. obviously these 1 1/2 angle with 3/13 wall thickness are way under designed. also when they bow it affects water gauge accuracy.

sent emails to both lippert and forest river more than a week ago and surprise surprise no response. this speaks volumnes this is absouluitely my last forest river product. will post photos of the new cross members you might want to think about adding as a precautionary measure before the ibeams crack.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
just returned from a trip to california. must say with new cross members in tandem wheel area that the trailer even pulls better than before. After straightening the angle supports for the water tanks that after arriving at destination and filling tanks they are bowed again. obviously these 1 1/2 angle with 3/13 wall thickness are way under designed. also when they bow it affects water gauge accuracy...
The thickness of the 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 angle doesn't do much for the stiffness, you need to increase the vertical leg height. Say to 1-1/2" x 3" or 4"
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #75
MI Camperz

Please do keep us posted on your progress and discussions.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #76

Will check that out. You know when traveling its nice to have bit of water in the tanks. I haven't used a public restroom in years while traveling in my rv. We must remember however that even though forest river says its ok to haul water providing you don't exceed max weight lippert says its a no no and will create more torsional stress
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #77

As far as carrying water in your tanks while traveling I have this to say. If you aren't supposed to do this, why do they apply stickers in several different locations stating what a full load of water weighs and that you need to deduct that weight from your GTW rating? Sorry I don't buy it. For the type of camping I do, carrying water is a must. I strictly boondock and there is no other option for water. If they say you can't carry water in the tank while traveling they need to clearly state that and to my knowledge they don't. Simple fact is they have used material that is infierior for the purpose. Every pound of steel they save is just another dollar in their pocket.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #78

This is one of the reasons lippert denied my claim stating the water tanks were not baffled and hauling water would create torsional stress on frame. Yet my forest river operational guide indicates you can. crazy
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #79

We all know lippert saying no water is just another way to get out of repairs. I a the same way I also strictly boondock camp and I always have my water full when I travel. And yes I will be doing something about my straps because mine too have a bow in them. I will figured something out but I will always probably travels with a full fresh water tank.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #80

Let me know what you use Was going to 1/4 wall thickness 1 1/2 angle but maybe it's not heavy enough. Can you believe 3/16 wall thickness that's crap

« Ss1812 | Rhino »