Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #81
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloco View Post
This is one of the reasons lippert denied my claim stating the water tanks were not baffled and hauling water would create torsional stress on frame. Yet my forest river operational guide indicates you can. crazy
Have you had any replies from other owners with similar problems? It will make a huge difference if more people would report similar issues.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #82
MI Camperz

Similar issues are all over the web.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #83
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Let me know what you use Was going to 1/4 wall thickness 1 1/2 angle but maybe it's not heavy enough. Can you believe 3/16 wall thickness that's crap
From a design standpoint, use the 3/16 wall, but increase the vertical leg height as much as possible. That's what gives the strength. If nothing else, get a pc of 1/8 or 3/16 x 3 or 4 flat strap and strip weld it to the side of the angle.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #84
MI Camperz

I hope you pursue this in court...small claims would yield your repair cost. I cant see how you could lose. You have a warranty that includes the frame. You have a manual that states you can carry water. You have data on your weights being within limits. You have stuff all over the internet about this problem. Time for fr to be accountable. Maybe then they will demand better from the frame gods lippert.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #85
Dallas Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I hope you pursue this in court...small claims would yield your repair cost. I cant see how you could lose. You have a warranty that includes the frame. You have a manual that states you can carry water. You have data on your weights being within limits. You have stuff all over the internet about this problem. Time for fr to be accountable. Maybe then they will demand better from the frame gods lippert.

x2.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #86

Great info yes I think a small claims action might work. Yes I have many posts on the Internet about lippert frames. No one has contacted me that has had a similar problem although, I am sure there out there. Don't know how many people turn to the Internet. Would like to solve my water tank support problem but also have an easy time removing tanks if necessary
soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #87

Quote:
Let me know what you use Was going to 1/4 wall thickness 1 1/2 angle but maybe it's not heavy enough. Can you believe 3/16 wall thickness that's crap
I looked tonight to see what I should do and discovered that my tanks are held up by more than just straps. On each side of the tanks, I have two separate fresh water tanks by the way. There is a lip that's is out on each side of the tanks that come down about six inches from the top and stick out about two inches on each side that sits inside c-channel on each side. So the straps just help hold the middle. So the way it looks to me they aren't going any where. Yours may be the same way not sure but I had looked before and now just noticed after looking really close. I did although move the straps out all the way to the ends as they were not and I was able to move them about two inches out further which will help support somewhat more. Here is a pic it was kinda hard to get a good pic but you can kinda see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1228228087.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	26494  
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #88

Quote:
That is heavy duty compared to the 1/8 inch tin they use to make the main frame so-called I-beams out of. Now that is pathetic!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #89

Quote:
This is one of the reasons lippert denied my claim stating the water tanks were not baffled and hauling water would create torsional stress on frame.
"torsional" stress............hmmmm..........
Seems that they like to use big words that they don't even understand the meaning of.
And if the main frame of a camper cannot withstand a few pounds of force from a bit of water sloshing around, just how cheap are they designing these things?
All they are doing is making fools of themselves.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #90
MI Camperz

Right. Same with their claim that he must have "hit a pothole". Really?
Driving a recreational vehicle? Their arguments are ridiculous and any judge, or jury, would see that they are trying to blame him, without merit, and not accept accountability.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #91
RV Newbie

Quote:
I do have a beam design spreadsheet i used to use for sizing beams. I'll see if can dig it out later today.

How big is the tank each way, gallons held, and how long is the span? I assume the tank imposes a uninform load over the full length of two symmetrically placed members. If the load is concentrated over a point or only a given segment, note that.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #92

Quote:
Great info yes I think a small claims action might work. Yes I have many posts on the Internet about lippert frames. No one has contacted me that has had a similar problem although, I am sure there out there. Don't know how many people turn to the Internet. Would like to solve my water tank support problem but also have an easy time removing tanks if necessary
Have you considered writing RV Action Line in Trailer Life magazine? They seem to get good results when they write the manufacturers, at least the ones the publish in the magazine anyway.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #93
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post

Have you considered writing RV Action Line in Trailer Life magazine? They seem to get good results when they write the manufacturers, at least the ones the publish in the magazine anyway.
X2

Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #94

I think small claims is certainly the best for me. I must say what is key here for me is the action or really the inaction of both forest river and lippert in standing behind the products they produce. Both of their responses for denying my claim was arbitrary and really dishonest. Yeah I can maybe get my money back but my confidence in forest river from whom I bought my trailer is gone. I have put a lot of energy into this bs and I have had enough stress and worry. In my future purchase of a new rv you can bet I will be doing a bunch research on the internet. This time not only will it include specifications of unit, floor plans weight but more importantly customer service, problems, warranties and who makes the frame. We travel quite a bit and most people who rv are more than sociable you can be assured that my story will be told
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #95

Span is just at 6 feet. Each tank holds 50 gallons and each tank dimension is roughly 6' by 4'.

Would appreciate your recommendation on sizing support.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #96

I will give trailer life a shot Great idea

Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #97

soccerloo, I feel sorry for your pain. No RV owner should ever have to go through this sort of thing. It makes me to never want to buy another Forest River product again. I've read about so many other FR owners having so many problems related to quality control. Have you thought about contacting Trailer Life mag.?

I do not understand how the RV industry (or is it FR?) can operate like they do. When you buy an RV from a dealer, you have a purchase contract with the dealer and not with any 3rd party suppliers. It should be like your Dodge analogy.

We had problems with our Coachmen TT from new. The brakes were pulsating & "grabby" when applied. Being new RV owners, we thought that this was normal and that a break-in period was needed. After nearly a year, the problem was getting worse. In the end, and after about 15 months, it was eventually found that the brake internal parts still had cosmoline (a protective grease) on them, there was broken spring and the drums were warped. Fortunately, we only dealt with our dealer but they did tell us that they had to get approval from Lippert. We couldn't believe that and we were bracing for a fight. But the dealer, and I guess Lippert, agreed to cover the work. The brakes ended up smooth as silk. Should have been like that from the beginning. We were even told it was our brake controller at one point so we shelled out about $300 for a Prodigy.

I read about other brands like KZ where dealer and factory support is phenomenal. If I were in the market for a new RV and read about all the problems like this, I sure wouldn't buy a FR product. I have not been impressed with the quality in our unit. If they had decent quality control measures in place at the factory, things would be a lot better.

I hope it all works out in your favor in the end.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #98
RV Newbie

Quote:
Span is just at 6 feet. Each tank holds 50 gallons and each tank dimension is roughly 6' by 4'.

Would appreciate your recommendation on sizing support.
Just a quick look so far, but it looks like deflection governs and in theory a 1 3/4" vertical 1/4" leg gives you under 1/4" deflection. Use L1 3/4 x1 3/4 x1/4.

Actually, the rigidity of the tank cross section would reduce the deflection a bit.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #99

Your recommendations for angle sizing is greatly appreciated!!! Maybe no definitely forest river desperately needs your help

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #100
RV Newbie

Quote:
Your recommendations for angle sizing is greatly appreciated!!! Maybe no definitely forest river desperately needs your help

Thanks
Bill
Sorry i cannot give you a more thoughtful evaluation, my father, a master model ship builder, passed away in his sleep the other day and I'm a little busy.

« Ss1812 | Rhino »