Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #1

Early 2010's Stealth FS2612 VIN Questions

Hi,

I recently purchased a Stealth FS2612. It is in great shape and we really like the Trailer.

There are some weird issues with the VIN and title though.
I was hoping someone here may have an idea as to what is going on.

The Trailer was titled in CA as follows:

Yr Model: 2007
Make: INTER
Body Type Model: CCH

The VIN also starts with 1Z9, instead of the standard Forest River WMI of 4X4.

The build sheet is no where to be found.

The VIN on the title DOES match the VIN on the tongue.

As far as I can tell, the first year of the Stealth FS2612 was 2010.
Everything inside the trailer has a manufacture date of early 2011; the cabinets, sinks, water pump, awning roller, both side and rear doors, fuel tank....etc.
This leads me to believe this trailer is actually a 2011.

I have called Forest River and they have no record of this VIN, same with Lippert Trailer.

I have also used RVChex to run the VIN, no make/model/year come up. It just shows as no accidents, liens, theft....etc.

Has anyone seen such an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The state I am going to register it in is willing to title it as a 2010 model.
JuanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:09 PM   #2

Is it possible that the rv was manufactured by someone else other than Forest River? I don't know who INTER is, but that looks like the manufacturer.

It's possible that it's a 2011 or it was rebuilt with 2011 parts.
If they're willing to list it as a 2010, you should probably let them because a 2010 is going to be worth more than a 2007.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-14-2022, 12:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

It is 100% a Forest River Trailer.

Do you think the chassis could be from another manufacuter other than Forest River/Lippert/Dexter, thus causing this confusion?

It is weird how FR has no record of this VIN.

The 1Z9 beginning of the VIN seems to be a pretty generic trailer WMI number.

The more research I do, the more I find confusion and difficulty in decoding RV VINs. I am starting to believe that the CA DMV simply plugged this VIN into their system and went with whatever decoded first.

Would you hesitate to buy this trailer?
Old 09-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #4

Since you've already purchased the trailer, whether I'd buy it is not relevant.

I have no idea how CA registers it's trailers. Usually, the trailer is started and registered with the year it was originally sold. I wouldn't worry too much that it doesn't say FR on the title. Your VIN on the title and on the tongue match.

So how are you getting it home? Can you get insurance on it? Sometimes insurance companies have better databases that can give you more information about your trailer.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:43 AM   #5

We have a 30 day moving permit from the DMV.
We have already taken the trailer on our 'maiden voyage' last weekend.

I have gotten a quote for insurance from Progressive. I think it was about $2xx a year, including roadside assistance. I intend to purchase this soon.

Do you have any insurance recommendations? I heard for certain types of coverage, they require the roof to be inspected yearly. Maybe this varies by insurer.

There isn't any indication of the year based upon the VIN or the missing build sheet/sticker. But, I have found at least 30 stickers on the trailer indicating the components were made in early 2011

All cabinets (12+)
Side door
Rear door
Folding Step
FW pump
FW suction strainer
Kitchen sink
Bathroom sink
Awning frame
External wash down hose housing
Fuel tank
Fridge

Based upon this evidence, the NV DMV has given me a proper 2011 yr VIN inspection slip. I have an appointment tomorrow to transfer the title and register. I don't anticipate any issues.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #6

Sounds like you have everything under control. Build sheets are easy to lose or some dealers don't include them. It's usually just a one sheet of paper that lists the components, the serial numbers of the components and sometimes contact info.
I have no recommendations on insurance although people on this forum have had good experiences with Progressive. Requirements probably vary with the company.

With your documentation, it sounds as though someone made a mistake and typed in the wrong information into the title. Safe journey getting it home.

Tags
question, questions