Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
RogerD

2016 Crusader A/C Duct Diagram?

Do any of you have any idea if there is a diagram available of how the A/C ducts run in the ceiling of a Crusader? I am considering adding some outlet vents to the existing system as only having 3 in the main living area seems totally inadequate. I will be installing a 2nd A/C unit in the bedroom and will block off the vents in the bathroom and bedroom so would like to have more air flow from the vents in the main living area. If there are no diagrams available, I guess I will rent or buy a small sewer cam and track the system that way. Thanks for any help you can provide.

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Whether you get the diagram or not, if you do any work on the Rv, the inspection camera would be a good investment. I bought one and it has helped in many ways. I wanted to see where things were located underneath the chloroplast (plastic sheets on the bottom of the camper), and could see without cutting out sections of it. The following connects to your cell phone, tablet, etc. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRNGYXY

If connect it to your cell phone or camera, be sure to use the OTG adapter, which usually comes with your phone. There are Bluetooth cameras, but they are about twice the cost.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

No such diagram exists. But you can contact PT and give it a try.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
RogerD

Thanks!

Thanks Ben31 regarding the inspection camera info. I was looking on eBay and will order one there if I don't get any info from PT.

Thanks for your reply bikendan. I will try to contact PT and see what happens.

Roger D
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

I am considering adding some outlet vents to the existing system as only having 3 in the main living area seems totally inadequate.

[/QUOTE]

You can add as many extra vents that you can fit in the living area, but it won't do a bit of good unless you upgrade the AC unit itself. It's not the lack of vents, it's the lack of BTUs that's your problem.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
RogerD

To what would you suggest I upgrade my a/c unit to? It is already a 15,000 btu unit. As mentioned in my original post, I am going to install another unit in the bedroom, so other than that, I am pretty much stuck with what I have. I wish I had the option of the "Quick Cool" feature of most a/c units, but in my Commander I have the "quiet cool" unit and don't have that option. I still believe that if I can get more air flow it will increase the efficiency of the unit. (But, I am not an air efficiency engineer and may be totally wrong!)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Do any of you have any idea if there is a diagram available of how the A/C ducts run in the ceiling of a Crusader? I am considering adding some outlet vents to the existing system as only having 3 in the main living area seems totally inadequate. I will be installing a 2nd A/C unit in the bedroom and will block off the vents in the bathroom and bedroom so would like to have more air flow from the vents in the main living area. If there are no diagrams available, I guess I will rent or buy a small sewer cam and track the system that way. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Adding a second A/C unit is the best option to assist with additional cooling provided your Crusader is 50 amp.

All the quiet cool system is, is a system of long rectangular boxes (probably 2) that run the length of the RV for output air and 1 running side to side between your return vents in the ceiling for the air return. The A/C unit sits on the roof directly above these ducts (boxes).
Good idea to use camera to check the duct system. One thing to check for is open ended ductwork. Sometimes in their haste an assembly tech. may forget to block off the end of the ductwork and the cool air ends up cooling the space between the ceiling and roof. You could build a baffle downstream from the A/C just beyond the last ceiling vent you intend to use to keep the air from going further than you want it to.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
RogerD

Thanks for your comments rracer5 and the description of the quiet cool system. I have definitely decided to get an inspection camera to check out the duct system - not only as to its design, but also for potential leaks. I am hesitant to put any kind of a "permanent" baffle in the duct just beyond the last outlet I will be utilizing after installing the bedroom a/c unit (and, yes my Crusader has 50 amp service and is prewired for the 2nd unit) as I still plan on utilizing the bedroom and bathroom ducts in the current system when only one a/c unit is needed to handle the cooling task.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for your comments rracer5 and the description of the quiet cool system. I have definitely decided to get an inspection camera to check out the duct system - not only as to its design, but also for potential leaks. I am hesitant to put any kind of a "permanent" baffle in the duct just beyond the last outlet I will be utilizing after installing the bedroom a/c unit (and, yes my Crusader has 50 amp service and is prewired for the 2nd unit) as I still plan on utilizing the bedroom and bathroom ducts in the current system when only one a/c unit is needed to handle the cooling task.

Unless the second bedroom A/C unit was factory installed, I'm not sure if you can "tie" it into the existing ductwork without tearing the ceiling out of the bedroom to gain access to tie it in. Also, the quiet cool A/C unit is a different design (there's no bottom vent or controls) & doesn't show through the ceiling. If you have the standard 14" square ceiling vent in the bedroom then you'll more than likely have to get the bottom dump A/C unit because there is probably no return box (side to side) built into the ceiling for the return air.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
RogerD

Nope, can't tie into the existing duct work with the new a/c unit. Getting a 13,500 with the ceiling control unit for the bedroom.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Nope, can't tie into the existing duct work with the new a/c unit. Getting a 13,500 with the ceiling control unit for the bedroom.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
RogerD

Prime Time came through for me. Here is a pdf roof diagram for Crusader 297RSK for anyone who is interested. You have to examine it for a while to really understand it, but once you do, it is easily interpreted.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:

That's how they are from the factory anyway. The second AC only cools the master bedroom. We do have a duct off the main unit but when we use both we close that one.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

Wow! Nice service from PT!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

Who did you email at Prime Time to get the drawings? Would like to get some for my Lacrosse.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #16

I reccomend an inspection camera. When I checked my Crusader I found a collapsed duct in the bathroom and an obstruction in the return duct work. Repairing those and adding another return duct opening lowered the large temp difference between return and supply but still not enough to get sufficient cooling. Also if you open any of the ceiling to add outlets look for missing insulation.
Harold Wilson
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
RogerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Who did you email at Prime Time to get the drawings? Would like to get some for my Lacrosse.

I first sent a message to PT customer service using the on-line messaging utility. Then, I received an Email from this person: Sara Hankins SHankins@forestriverinc.com

You might try contacting her to see if she can assist you.

RD
Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #18
RogerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold41 View Post
I reccomend an inspection camera. When I checked my Crusader I found a collapsed duct in the bathroom and an obstruction in the return duct work. Repairing those and adding another return duct opening lowered the large temp difference between return and supply but still not enough to get sufficient cooling. Also if you open any of the ceiling to add outlets look for missing insulation.
Harold Wilson

Thanks for your reply Harold. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my inspection camera to see what's going on inside the ducts. If I do add another duct vent/outlet, I am not planning on removing the ceiling. I will just drill a hole with a hole saw through the ceiling and into the duct (now I know where they are). Depending on how much space there is between the ceiling and duct will determine what kind of vent outlet I purchase to install as they come in several different configurations and shoulder lengths. I'm not going to assume that the new hole will have the same distance between the ceiling and duct as the existing ones!

RD
Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #19

Quote:
I first sent a message to PT customer service using the on-line messaging utility. Then, I received an Email from this person: Sara Hankins SHankins@forestriverinc.com

You might try contacting her to see if she can assist you.

RD
Thanks RD.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #20

I wouldn't block off a duct.

I am doing the same install on my Crusader 321RES. I am changing the bedroom and bathroom vents to diffusers that can be closed when I am running both a/c units. I would not totally block off the vent duct, you may need to open them if you only have 30 amp service and can't run two A/Cs at the same time.
kpkenn4242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, diagram