RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

2016 Primetime Crusader slide bracket cutting groove in tire.

I just ran into an identical issue as the NHTSA recall on the 2014 Crusader 315 on my 2016 Crusader 295rst.

My door side - rear tire was flat. Sitting at the storage lot. I pulled off the tire and found a small screw that looked to be the culprit. The tire is a Goodyear Endurance. Same size as the OEM. I replaced them early on due to the not so favorable posts on the OEM tires.

When I dropped off the tire a quick inspection showed the edge of the tire forming a groove. The groove was below the wear bars, so the tire could not be repaired. New tire, UGH. I may even need to purchase a replacement tire on the other side of the axle due to diameter differences.

When I re-installed the new tire, I poked around and sure enough The slide bracket edge was polished shiny and bright. The polish is exactly in line with the tire groove. 2" long about 1/3" deep. This sounds identical to the NHTSA recall on the Crusader 315 that was posted in the FROG threads.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

I am in contact with Primetime and asked them to review the NHTSA recall on the 2014 315 model. My 2016 Crusader 295rst has an identical issue.

Might Primetime address the safety issue and refund my costs? We will see.

I never thought a flat tire would turn out to be a good thing. Had the screw not deflated the tire I would probably have run this tire until the slide bracket cut the cords and cause a catastrophic blowout.
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #2

Good you caught that I don't understand the reason for having to maybe buy a 2 replacement tire?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Tire wear. One tire on the axle is new , the other is half worn. Different diameter on the same axle. Don't know if this is a problem or not.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

My 315 RST has exactly the same problem. I actually ground the bracket back and gave it a curve to match the tire. I haven't had a tire hit since. I didn't take enough off to weaken the slide bracket, but a half inch of clearance is all it took to prevent damage to the tire. I am partly at fault as I change my China bombs which were 235 80 16's to a set of Michelin XPSs that were 245 75 16's. They are marginally wider, but slightly lower profile. I already had these tires, and fortunately caught the clearance problem before I had damage. My plan is to investigate 225 75 16's when the next tire replacement comes. May have to go to Salun's or some other trailer tire as opposed to LT's because of the load carrying capacity.
Silly drawing I know, but gives you the idea.
You might check the other side also as when my spring would hit the frame, the not on the spring shackle would rub my propane main steel pipe. I shimmed the pipe over 1/2 inch and it clears. Got to check that stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slidebracket.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	238257  

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.

The 2014 model 315 has a NHTSA recall. Primetime provided a lift kit of some sort and i think paid to have it installed. You might check to see if your unit is eligible for the recall.

I too have ground away part of the bracket a thouch less than 1/2. Enough to remove the metal that was polished from the tire rubbing

My oem tires were replaced with the same size Goodyear Endurance.

I also noticed the top of tires are rubbing on the bottom of the slide. The black fabric is warn away. Its a moisture damage potential. I was told to install a thin metal plate with acrylic caulking and screwed down on the edge. One done, three to go.

I have requested Primetime to send me the lift kit. I offered to have it installed at my cost. Awaiting their decision.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

I had to replace the one tire as it had a groove cut in the edge of the tread. Discount tire said they would not fix the nail flat.

I purchased a new Goodyear endurance to replace.

I did put the oem spare tire in the spot. Spray painted the rubbed shiny parts. Made a 300 mile trip. Spare tire is still rubbing the end bracket, the slide out 2" bar, bolts and nuts. It is also rubbing the slide out floor.

I have since been told there should be 3" minimum , preferably 4" clearance for a proper design. Mine is 2" or less.

Lippert and the local trailer fabricator have recommended a lift is needed to address the poor design by Prime Time on my Crusader. Looking thru the NHTSA records they have recalls for identical failure issues in other units.
PrimeTime is hiding behind their expired 1 year warranty and has refused to address. I did file a complaint with the NHTSA.

I would suggest all Prime Time owners to look under their trailer for any shiny or damaged slide/tire rubbing issues. If present it will only be a matter if time before a tire fails, possibly catastrophic.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

I just upgraded to the MorRyde CRE 3000 equalizer, and wet bolt kit, and it increased the clearance between the tire and the bracket by almost an inch. They also make a 4000 which will create 4 inches of travel. Let us know if you have any success with Prime Time.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #8

Thought you might find this helpful from our 2017 295rst. Same issue. Please see thread below. This is what happened in our case. Please keep us posted on how things work out for you

ALERT to any Crusader 2017 295RST - SAFETY ISSUE!!
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=181674
toberek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Thankyou Comanchecreek and toberek!

This looks to be exactly the fix I need. I am on the Morride web page now, have a call into their rep.

You guys rock!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

From another post it was suggested the suspension should have a bump stop that would totally maximize the spring compression so the tire could never contact anything.

My Thoughts:
Makes total sense to put in some sort of stop.

I've received several comments from others with the identical issue in the same model as mine, even newer. Primetime Crusaders have a problem.

Several have suggested the Morryde kits that add some lift and provide a smoother ride. An additional lift kit from Lippert or the Correct Track kit will help too.

What totally amazes me is Primetime Crusader had the issue but only addressed it when the NHTSA made them do it. The recall NHTSA #14V-140 details a space lift block, a cross factor installation beam, cutting the slide bracket ( I already had this done and it was not sufficient to eliminate contact) and replacing the slide adjustment bolt with a shorter one.

Unfortunately they have the same problem in newer units (several communications from 2017 models -mine is 2016) didn't fix their design issue or offer the kit to those of us with the problem.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

I had the idea for a bump stop also, where I would weld a block where the top of the spring hit the frame, but my other stuff worked. It also took care of my clearance problem between the shackle bolt and the propane pipe on the right side of the trailer. Frustrating to have to deal with, but plan to keep the trailer for a long time, so ever onward.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #12

An update and a request for others to add information. I filled out several posts on additional forums and found others with the identical issue.

Primetime has stated my trailer is outside of the 12 month warranty and will not provide any assistance. But, Primetime was forced by the NHTSA to do a safety recall to remedy identical issues in 2014.

I filled out the NHTSA complaint on the Primetime trailers having issues with the slide brackets and steel square tube cutting and destroying tires. I also pointed out Primetime already has an accepted and closed NHTSA recall that covers only one unit and paid for a kit and installation.

Please go to the NHTSA web site to see the actual complaint.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11363266

If you have experienced this issue, or have looked underneath the slides of your Prime Time Trailer and see the rubbing marks, please start another complaint. Its easy and free. Go to the web site https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Please reference my complaint number 11363266 so that the issue gets noticed and linked as a repetitive issue. The earlier issue had 3 complaints and the recall was ordered.

If we can demonstrate a continued issue then the NHTSA may force a recall, possibly get your trailer fixed or possibly get you a reimbursement if you had already done repairs to remedy the flawed design.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #13

2016 Crusader 295rst slide out bracket cutting groove in tire.

Well, just as some have mentioned here and on other forums, Primetime has rejected any responsibility. Twice.

And the NHTSA said my unit is not part of the prior recall as it was manufactured after the recall. Yup, that is pretty obvious. It's also pretty obvious my Crusader is cutting tires.

To fix the issue I think there are two possible methods. Please let me know if you have a preference or another idea. My rig needs to be fixed with or without a recall.

1) have a steel 2" beam welded to the frame and put on new hangers to achieve more clearance. I could also have the hangers mounted an +/- inch back to get further away from the cutting bracket.

2) put on the Correct track kit for 2" lift and possibly move the position of the cam on both sides backwards 1/2" as well. Then combine this with the Morryde x factor brace to strengthen the hangers. One in the center, possible two more for the front and back hangers.

With either fix I will probably add new springs and possibly a Morryde cre 3000 equalizer.

I also did a very rough check on the axle position. Plumb bob from the front pin and then a plumb bob in the center of the tires. From this rough check it appears the axles are mounted about 3/4" skewed if I did this right, and you guessed it, the long side is on the right side where I am cutting tires. Is it possible Primetime did this on post recall units to get a bit more clearance? If so, that would be darn near criminal. And if the skewed axle measurements get confirmation, then I don't think the correct track will be enough.

It gets checked on Thursday by a professional. I don't trust my crude measurements, but it's a smoking gun.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #14

Today's update.

No new updates on the NHTSA complaint.
No update today frome Primetime when I asked if my tire clearance was ok why is it cutting tires? Crickets.

The spring hangers were checked for the length to the pin box. They are equal within a 1/16". So my concern with a skewed suspension was not correct. This is good.

The 2" lift is going in to remidy the tire cutting issues . I see no way around this. I also added the Morryde CRE 3000 equalizer and a new set of springs to replace the oem dexter. The Morryde equalizer should add a bit of a softer ride. I am having them install the Morryde wet bolt bolts and shackles kit. The shackles in this kit are twice as thick as the oem.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 PM   #15

After less than 10000 miles on my 315 I saw significant wear on my shackles, so you are not loosing anything by replacing them with the wet bolt kit. Grind the bracket like I show in the other post and you should be good.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #16

Yup. The bracket was ground down as step one. It did help. But it was not enough. I sprayed the polished and ground down parts with some black paint. Then checked for new wear after one trip. It rubbed on the bracket, the slide 2" bar/nuts/bolts and the thin sheet metal I glued and screwed to the floor right above the tire.

I did not see any new damage to the new tire, but the new rubbing marks were still worry some.

I would suggest every Crusader owner to inspect their trailers for this rubbing and if present get that end bracket ground down as you discribed.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy-2198 View Post
Yup. The bracket was ground down as step one. It did help. But it was not enough. I sprayed the polished and ground down parts with some black paint. Then checked for new wear after one trip. It rubbed on the bracket, the slide 2" bar/nuts/bolts and the thin sheet metal I glued and screwed to the floor right above the tire.

I did not see any new damage to the new tire, but the new rubbing marks were still worry some.

I would suggest every Crusader owner to inspect their trailers for this rubbing and if present get that end bracket ground down as you discribed.
Step 1 listed above. Step 2 ad Morryde 3000 CRE or even 4000 and wet bolt kit. Step 3 Check clearance on propane line. Step 4 go camping.

Former Montana owner
Old 11-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #18

NHTSA vehicle complaint 11376997

2016 Prime Time Crusader 295RST vehicle complaint filed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2DE521D3-DACF-48B9-BE18-8E31F6841C8A.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	243898   Click image for larger version

Name:	51515BB8-17D6-4075-9E82-45612AEB7B54.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	243899   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D8D7A65-0859-4142-B6F6-6A8919CDC1A6.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	243900  
PoppaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #19

Here is the picture from my post on the propane line on my 315 RST. You can see where the springs bottom out on the coroplast. This is on the same side as the slide clearance problem just on the inside of the hangers. The nuts for the shackles were worn from rubbing on the propane lines. The MorRyde setup cured this also. I originally shimmed the propane pipe over a half an inch so it would clear. Really poor quality control if you ask me, but what are you going to do. I just fix it. Not wasting my time on FR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	springpropane1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	243903  

Former Montana owner

Tags
crusader, roo, slide, tire