Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

2017 crusader 315 grey tank gauges not working

Well we have taken our new trailer out the past 2 weekends and everything has been working great on it. We have been at campgrounds with full hookups. The first weekend I left the grey tank valves open so the gauges always read empty. Last weekend I left them closed and we took 2 showers and used the sink and both tanks still read empty. I confirmed they were full by emptying the tanks after seeing this thinking maybe the valves were leaking. They weren't as the water rushed from the tanks. Today when I got home from work I hooked up the water to the trailer and ran the shower and kitchen sink again to test the gauges. Let the water run for a good 10 minutes and the gauges still read empty �� I'm gonna have to bring the trailer in for its first warranty issue. Anyone else have problems with their tanks always showing empty? The black tank gauges does work as it showed 1/3 both weekends. The trailer was bought new not used also.
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
They very seldom work correctly
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post

X2. But, unusual for them to show empty all the time. Once used "crud" will build up on the sensors and always show someting even when the tanks are empty. The black tank is the worse due to "stuff" and TP getting stuck on the sensors. The 2 grey tanks can be a little more erratic because it's usually soap scum building on the sensors that can come and go.

In your case, it sounds like they failed to completely hook them up or the common ground for the sensors is loose/disconnected.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #4

I am not near my trailer right now, but can tell you I had the same problem. On the left side of the gauges is a switch to go between 1 and 2. Switch it to the lower position (which I think is 2). That seemed to fix my problem. Like a lot of models, they reuse parts, so the switch isn't really used for our trailer, but it still can effect the ones we do use.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I am not near my trailer right now, but can tell you I had the same problem. On the left side of the gauges is a switch to go between 1 and 2. Switch it to the lower position (which I think is 2). That seemed to fix my problem. Like a lot of models, they reuse parts, so the switch isn't really used for our trailer, but it still can effect the ones we do use.
ill give that a shot tonight when i get home. i dont really wanna bring it back for this issue bc who knows how long it will take them to fix it and ive got some trips planned already

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
also you switching from 1 to 2 affected your grey tank lights? bc im having issues with the grey tank not the black tank. my black tank is reading as it should so far

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 03-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
OEM tank level gages are junk for the most part, as Bob states they rarely work correctly.

You want to refit with something quality in an external sensor gage like SeeLevel. Those work.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon37 View Post
also you switching from 1 to 2 affected your grey tank lights? bc im having issues with the grey tank not the black tank. my black tank is reading as it should so far
You'll have black tank issues at some point as well. be patient.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You'll have black tank issues at some point as well. be patient.
well my 2013 hideout never gave me a lick of trouble with level sensors on any of the tanks and i bought that one used so i would hope that my brand new higher end trailer the level gauges would at least work past my first 2 trips...

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

or even past leaving the dealership...

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

The black tank lights stayed the same. The grey tanks worked or didn't. So, yes the switch did effect the operation of the grey tank sensor lights.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
well my 2013 hideout never gave me a lick of trouble with level sensors on any of the tanks and i bought that one used so i would hope that my brand new higher end trailer the level gauges would at least work past my first 2 trips...
..and could have been retrofitted with external sensor strips. The internal sensors that OEM's use are prone to erroneous readings or no reading at all. All aftermarket sensors are external though Seelevel does make an immersion strip but it goes in a dry well in the holding tank(s).

Bottom line is, if you want accurate and repeatable level indication, at some point you'll go aftermarket.

Myself, I just look in the toilet to observe how full the black tank is and far as grey water, I keep a running tab on how much I put in. My level indicators were very erratic as well until I installed the Seelevel system but out of habiit, I still look. The Seelevel system can also monitor propane tank level and other things beside holding tank levels.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
The black tank lights stayed the same. The grey tanks worked or didn't. So, yes the switch did effect the operation of the grey tank sensor lights.
ok thanks! ill try this when i get home and ill post the results later

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #14

Most of the time when a new coach has this problem it is a bad ground at the tank. Should not be a big deal for the dealership to fix.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
You were 100% correct ben31! Flipped the switch to black tank 2, filled the tanks again, and all the tank sensors are registering! Thanks for the info you saved me an hour trip to the dealer this weekend!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #16

Tank Level Readings

I have a 2014 Solaire 192RB that had similar issues. I found out that the issue was caused by the Scotch-Loc ground connectors not working near the tanks. Have someone watch the tank gauges while you ground the lowest connection on the tanks and see if the gauge starts working. To be safe, use a test light to make the temporary ground connection. For each tank there is a connector with 4 wires out of it. That is the gauge network and it should be OK. It connects the top 3 tank connectors back to the gauge panel by a single wire.

Maybe the attached document will help.

Glenn
GlennW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #17

Quote:
You were 100% correct ben31! Flipped the switch to black tank 2, filled the tanks again, and all the tank sensors are registering! Thanks for the info you saved me an hour trip to the dealer this weekend!
I have the same exact issue with my 315. I had just given up on the greys. Always read empty. Had the galley fill up into the sink and still read empty. I'll try the switch. Was told by the tech's on delivery that it did not do anything. My understanding Brendon is that you switched it to Black Tank 2 and left it there and the sensors worked. Is that correct? Hope you're right, not worth a warranty trip.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I have the same exact issue with my 315. I had just given up on the greys. Always read empty. Had the galley fill up into the sink and still read empty. I'll try the switch. Was told by the tech's on delivery that it did not do anything. My understanding Brendon is that you switched it to Black Tank 2 and left it there and the sensors worked. Is that correct? Hope you're right, not worth a warranty trip.
Yes sir you are correct! Still working today! Just leave it switched on black tank 2 and all your gauges will read correctly!

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes sir you are correct! Still working today! Just leave it switched on black tank 2 and all your gauges will read correctly!
Went out and checked after reading your post and it was on Black Tank 1 so switched it to 2. Have it stored inside so haven't been able to test it yet but have my hopes up.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Went out and checked after reading your post and it was on Black Tank 1 so switched it to 2. Have it stored inside so haven't been able to test it yet but have my hopes up.
I too had my doubts but it worked just like it is supposed to after switching to black tank 2.

2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion

Tags
crusader, tank