Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

2017 Sanibel 3601 Furnace Part 2

So i found the reset switch on top of the Furnace. Access through the inside air exchange. Now the problem is that it runs for a bit then it kicks off at the furnace. I can reset it and it works fine for about 5 minutes then it kicks off again. Furnace issue? It hasn't blown a fuse yet. Does the heater always work off of the battery or does it work off of shore power once you are plugged in to electricity?
dapennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #2

I had a similar situation but mine was with the AC in the summertime and had to change out the thermostat
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

We purchased a new 3901 in November. We stayed overnight in it at our selling dealer. The furnace quit working during the night. It was also tripping the reset switch on the furnace.

The next morning the service department looked at it. They could not fix it during the time they had it there. The Tech thought it was over heating. We left it with them and they called last week and said they installed a new furnace and also straightened some duct work out.

Hopefully this fixed the problem. We are going to use it mid February in GA and I’m sure we will need the furnace to work.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapennington View Post
So i found the reset switch on top of the Furnace. Access through the inside air exchange. Now the problem is that it runs for a bit then it kicks off at the furnace. I can reset it and it works fine for about 5 minutes then it kicks off again. Furnace issue? It hasn't blown a fuse yet. Does the heater always work off of the battery or does it work off of shore power once you are plugged in to electricity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
We purchased a new 3901 in November. We stayed overnight in it at our selling dealer. The furnace quit working during the night. It was also tripping the reset switch on the furnace.

The next morning the service department looked at it. They could not fix it during the time they had it there. The Tech thought it was over heating. We left it with them and they called last week and said they installed a new furnace and also straightened some duct work out.

Hopefully this fixed the problem. We are going to use it mid February in GA and I’m sure we will need the furnace to work.

"Straightening out the duct work" was probably the issue to begin with. Arbitrarily replacing the furnace was possibly unnecessary. Insufficient/blocked/kinked duct work can affect the airflow through the furnace. If there is not enough air flow or blocked air flow, the furnace can overheat. The sail switch is the safety mechanism to prevent this. If not enough air movement to keep the sail switch closed, it will shut down the furnace.

Try gaining access to the duct work and make sure it's routed without too many sharp bends and that all the connections are air tight. This may fix the problem.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #5

Furnace problems stink. My furnace kicks on and off. When I say that I mean blower runs, but you can hear the burner kick on then kick off. Will do this probably 5 to 10 times then will usually run correctly. Haven't solved it yet so will be interested to hear the end result here. Thinking circuit board, or check valve in propane line, or regulator.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Furnace problems stink. My furnace kicks on and off. When I say that I mean blower runs, but you can hear the burner kick on then kick off. Will do this probably 5 to 10 times then will usually run correctly. Haven't solved it yet so will be interested to hear the end result here. Thinking circuit board, or check valve in propane line, or regulator.
Sounds like the flame holder might need to be cleaned. Short cycling usually points to that. This morning in Sunny Florida it was 23 degree's. Went out and reset my furnace again with the on/off button on top and this time left the return vent off. We shall see if it might not be getting enough air before i get into the wall of the basement and checkout the ducts to see if they are some how kinked and too much have a sharp bend. my floor vents don't seem to be putting out that much warm air so that might be my problem. Mine runs for about 8 minutes then shuts off and i have to reset the switch on top of the furnace. it will work then perfect for another 8 - 10 minutes and do the same thing. Might take off my exhaust and make sure nothings been built in there by the lovely mud dobbers. Units only a year old and this is the first time that i have had to use the heat.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #7

As stated. Check your duct work. My new then 2016 Lacrosse 327RES furnace burner would turn off and on every five minutes. The dealer looked at it multiple times. No fix. I decided to inspect the duct work. Turned out the duct in the bathroom was 6 feet too long. It was coiled and kinked under the shower. Cut it to length and removed the bend. Problem solved. Furnace runs as expected.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #8

I have a 2017 Sanibel 3601 my furnace runs just fine but there’s not a lot of airflow out of the floor registers. Really the first time we’ve used the furnace for any length of time is this normal or should I start inspecting for blockage. I know the units are very big but I expected more airflow it does heat the coach up.
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

my airflow for the furnace isn't all that great either. I live in Florida however, so the fireplace does a good job.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapennington View Post
What make/model is your furnace? My Suburban has no reset on top. Service Manual only refers to resetting of the t-stat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Furnace Service Manual.pdf (4.92 MB, 33 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, sanibel