Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

2nd year warranty

I noticed on another thread that Forest River offers a 2nd year warranty if purchased within 10 days of the original purchase. Does this include the Primetime line? It looks like the cost is minimal. If is does include the Crusader what all does the 2nd year cover?
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

I checked with Prime Time on this when I bought my tt last November and was told they do not. I wish they would because I would definitely buy it.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It might be one of the differences in how they define "divisions" at Forest River. I wonder if this is why FR has Primetime separated from the others on their website with just the link. This might apply to Coachman, Palomino, and Viking, too.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #4

Wish they would offer the 2nd year warranty. So far that's the only thing I've been disapointed about Prime Time. Even so, the pros far out weigh the cons IMHO.
The following is from Prime Time's web site. The last item, FINANCIAL STABILITY, explains their relationship with Forest River.

Why Prime Time?
Whether you are considering the purchase of your first RV or your next RV, we are confident you will enjoy the following advantages of Prime Time Manufacturing:

DESIGN
Prime Time Manufacturing understands the critical elements of designing a winning recreational vehicle – floorplan, eye appeal, storage, and convenience. There aren’t many secrets in the RV industry and most manufacturers offer similar versions of the same floorplan. However, the true genius is in the details. Is every inch of storage space fully utilized? Is there adequate pantry space for both tall and short items? Where do you put your trash can? Does each feature maximize user comfort and convenience? Are the decors residential yet durable? We have spent years listening to customers talk about what they want in the “perfect” RV. Drawing on that feedback, countless hours are incorporated into dissecting every detail to fully maximize the enjoyment each of our models will provide. We are fanatical about design because we want to ensure that our RVs will EXCEED your expectations.

QUALITY
Prime Time Manufacturing chose to headquarter its operations in Wakarusa, Indiana, the center of northern Indiana’s Amish community. This is an area where old world craftsmanship, traditional work ethics, and doing things the “right” way are still emphasized and valued. Our executive management team has over 100 years of manufacturing experience that allows Prime Time to engineer and build an RV that will withstand the test of time. Every unit we ship is put through a rigorous 65 point system inspection at our factory AND at your selling dealership to make sure your first camping adventure is memorable for all of the right reasons. Finally, we provide a comprehensive Emergency Roadside Assistance program for your additional safety, convenience, and peace of mind. For us, quality isn’t just a slogan, it’s our culture.

VALUE
Prime Time Manufacturing is a division of Forest River, Inc, one of North America’s largest producers of towable recreational products. Because of our tremendous corporate sales volume, we are able to leverage massive purchasing power to produce an RV with more features for the money than any other company in the industry. We also operate with extremely low overhead. You won’t find Prime Time advertising in national trade magazines or traditional media sources – we rely on good old fashioned word of mouth advertising. Our dealers aren’t rewarded with luxurious trips or outfitted with fancy wardrobes – they only get high quality, fast selling RVs that are priced lower than the competition. We rely on our Corporate offices to take care of payroll, payables, receivables, accounting, Human Resources, legal, and many other operational functions - these additional costs DON’T go into the price of a Prime Time RV. We understand that the purchase of your next RV is one of the most important decisions you will make and we are committed to giving you the best value for your hard earned dollar.

FINANCIAL STABILITY
Since the purchase of your next RV will represent a significant financial commitment, you’ll be glad to know that Prime Time Manufacturing will be here to provide parts and service for the duration of your ownership experience. Prime Time is a division of Forest River, Inc, a company owned by Berkshire Hathaway, one of the world’s largest holding companies with a market capitalization in excess of $150 billion. Forest River provides the corporate umbrella under which Prime Time operates. No other RV company in the world can offer the financial stability afforded to a customer of Prime Time Manufacturing.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #5

I also talked with Primetime and they told me that at this time they do not offer the 2nd year warranty but were looking into it.
This is our first NEW 5th wheel and have heard some stories about buying new! The 2nd year would have been nice but hopefully won't have any problems or at least any major problems. From what I understand they have great customer service so hopefully we won't need anything the 2nd year!
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

I'm all in for a 2nd year warranty. The extended warranty my dealer offered was absolutely ridiculous expensive. I couldn't believe they even offered it with a straight face. This is my 2nd new RV, had my Keystone for 3.5 years with no issues. I usually avoid buying a new model of anything, I took a gamble with the Crusader in my eyes but so far so good. (knock on wood). It puts a smile on my face everytime I walk in the door.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I checked with Prime Time on this when I bought my tt last November and was told they do not. I wish they would because I would definitely buy it.
I second that. I am very excited to to buy my own to.
kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

RVGuy - would you comment on why Prime Time doesn't offer a two year warranty?
MargeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Commercial Member

At my previous place of employment, let's call them company K, we didn't have this extended warranty available and it rarely came up with either customers or dealers. To be honest, I didn't think much of ever offering it at Prime Time based on that experience. However, this thread and other comments has caused some discussion here at PTM on whether we should offer it.

If you spend some time watching us, you'll see evidence that we are working really hard at giving our customers a great experience on the service side. This doesn't come without a significant cost. As part of our internal discussion here, share with me what you think a 2nd year warranty is worth?

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #10

This will be my first post here. I've been following the forum quite a bit over the last several weeks and its been very informative. We're just purchasing our first TT; a Palomino Gazelle 230. We're moving up from a pop-up and tenting and many threads here have been quite useful. We're taking delivery in April; weather permitting here in CT. I'm not sure how different the F.R. division really are, but I can confirm that the aftermarket extended warranty was outrageous; something in the neighborhood of $1400 for 3 additional years. The question i have is if anyone knows if the additional 1 year warranty from Forest River is available for the Palomino line as well; if the cost is in the $150 area, that would make it very attractive. My dealer mentioned the aftermarket 3-yr warranty but convienently neglected to tell me about the F.R 1-yr warranty. Thanks
shurack24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

shurack24 - Forest River does offer the second year warranty for the Gazelle, cost is $150.00.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #12

Anyone know who I'm supposed to contact and their number. I've been trying for the past two days. First it was "you need this person" then that person. I've left two messages with a person named Diane Cursner (not sure of the spelling of the last name) at 574-262-2212. No replies, I've got a Prime Time Crusader 290RLT last 8 of the vin BB110161. Any Help?
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Extended Warranty

Hi, 62:

I'm not sure who Diane is or where that number connects - sorry.

I'm guessing you're trying to reach Prime Time since you have a Crusader. Our contact information can be found at Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels under the CONTACT US tab. If you have a service issue, send us an email on the form provided there.

Unfortunately, Prime Time does not offer the optional 2nd year warranty.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #14

After reading this thread I am glad that I chose not to send in my money to Forest River . My dealer told me I could get the second year. Even filled out the app for me. After reading the parts list that is actually covered by the Forest River 2nd year warranty, I decided against it. If you look at the list, the things that are covered are either already covered by the manufacturer (i.e. frig, ac, ...etc.) or are items with very low probably of breaking. Things that may need fixed are not covered by the FR year 2 warranty. My advice to Prime Time is consdier doing it the right way. It was almost a deciding factor for me. I almost went with a Jayco, KZ or Crossroads because of the real 2 year warranty. I believe Prime Time is superior in many ways but this is where they are behind the competition. I know it was a deciding factor for others.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
I almost went with a Jayco, KZ or Crossroads because of the real 2 year warranty.
Do you have examples of how they (the manufacturer warranties) differ between companies?
Thanks

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
share with me what you think a 2nd year warranty is worth?

PTM
What value do you place on the piece of mind that a two year warranty provides, not to mention the additional sales generated when you match the warranty offered by other FR divisions and other RV manufactures.

Dealer feedback??? They want to sale their own extended warranty...a little conflict of interest.

Seems like a 'no brainer' to me.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
Site Team

when i got my 2nd year FR warranty, there was no "parts list". it was the same as the 1st year, tongue to bumper. no difference in what was covered.
unless something has changed since i bought mine.

i had warranty issues well into the second year and everything was fixed, just like stuff in the first year. in fact, i had new seals put in the front of the hybrid, during the second year of the warranty.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #18

2year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Do you have examples of how they (the manufacturer warranties) differ between companies?
Thanks
KZ, Jayco, and Crossroads all offer 2 year bumper to bumper. Keystone, Primetime, Dutchmen, Coleman etc... offer 1 year bumper to bumper. Other forest river products offer a 2nd year warranty for 150 dollars but is not bumper to bumper. When I bought my Roo on 05, it was bumper to bumper for 100. FR increased the price and decreased the coverage.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
when i got my 2nd year FR warranty, there was no "parts list". it was the same as the 1st year, tongue to bumper. no difference in what was covered.
unless something has changed since i bought mine.

i had warranty issues well into the second year and everything was fixed, just like stuff in the first year. in fact, i had new seals put in the front of the hybrid, during the second year of the warranty.
Me too...things have apparently changed.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks padave65. Your comments are important because this 2nd year warranty is widely considered to be a good value for owners. Maybe that's changed.

This was the parts list on the form that was posted here a few weeks ago.
In your post, you say that there are "Things that may need fixed are not covered by the FR year 2 warranty."

I guess what I am asking you is what specific items should have been included that were not?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf warranty_addon.pdf (843.7 KB, 271 views)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD