Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

325 RES near of below freezing point

Hi,
Is any of you owners of a 325RES stayed camping into area in their 5th wheels when the temperature drop to or below freezing point? When I bought mine I was told I can stay no problem to sub zero no problem.

I'd like read some comments, since next year specially with weird weather we get I might be camping into area where temp go below freezing point for few day's.

Jean & Lucille
2014 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2011 Silverado Duramax 6.6L W/Allison
electroblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

We have been winter camping for 10 years now, and have spent many nights in our 295RST in sub-zero temps. We use our water system all year round as well.

We have camped with our full water system down to as low as minus 20C without problems. Things will freeze from time to time, but that is no big deal, thawing them is easy enough.

We use 2 micro-furnaces inside the rig and augment with the LP furnace, we easily keep the inside temp at room temperature.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Does your unit have tank heaters? If so, you should have absolutely no problems. We fill our tank and use our on-board fresh water system. Just close your waste tanks (so water doesn't freeze in the drain hose on the way to the sewer connection). Let your furnace run once in awhile to keep the basement, docking station and sub-floor plumbing above freezing.

Also, when we fill our FW tank, I just disconnect the hose from the CG spigot, drain the water out and let it lay out on the ground (with a plug in the end to keep stuff out). That way it's ready to use to re-fill the tank if needed and.........did you ever try to roll up and store a cold hose? This way, you only have to do it once when you leave.

Anyway.....to each their own but, that's how I do it and its worked so far.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

Hello RRacer5,

According to the specs of the builder I have:

* Enclosed and Heated Underbelly
* Heated Holding Tanks
* Enclosed Dump Valves
* Heated Dump Valves
* 0° Extended Season Enjoyment

but sometime, they have tendency to stretch the truth. That is why I was looking at some feed back.

Thanks to all who replies, I surly will enjoy Arizona next year.

Jean & Lucille
Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #5

You should be good, you should confirm tank heaters though, look for the switch for them. I didn't think Crusaders were built with tank heaters. In my case I had them installed when my rig went back to Indiana for work last summer.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
You should be good, you should confirm tank heaters though, look for the switch for them. I didn't think Crusaders were built with tank heaters. In my case I had them installed when my rig went back to Indiana for work last summer.
I haven'n see any switch, but what do they mean by "* Heated Holding Tanks"?

Jean & Lucille
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

325 RES near of below freezing point

The new Crusader brochure lists heated holding tanks as part of the new extreme thermal package - not exactly sure this includes pads....

we do not have them on our early 2014 325RES

We have the heated underbelly setup only - no pads on tanks ...not sure if they do this now but it is on the Sanibel line by Prime Time

If you do have this there will be a switch in the control panel access inside with one labled tanks or similar
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
The new Crusader brochure lists heated holding tanks as part of the new extreme thermal package - not exactly sure this includes pads....

we do not have them on our early 2014 325RES

We have the heated underbelly setup only - no pads on tanks ...not sure if they do this now but it is on the Sanibel line by Prime Time

If you do have this there will be a switch in the control panel access inside with one labled tanks or similar

Yup. I would double check on the 'heated tanks". If you don't find the 2 switches labeled "tank" with a little red light on the switches in the control panel then I doubt you have them.

But, you do have heated underbelly where heating ducts from the furnace are routed to the area between the floor and that black covering that you see when you look under your unit.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #9

We bought our 325res around thanksgiving. Have been staying in central NM. Temps have dipped to 10* with no issues. I do have the water hose lined with heat tape and wrapped with insulation. We do not have the extreme package so no heated tanks or such. I just keep the gray tanks open, sewer hose on a nice straight down hill shot.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdh View Post
We bought our 325res around thanksgiving. Have been staying in central NM. Temps have dipped to 10* with no issues. I do have the water hose lined with heat tape and wrapped with insulation. We do not have the extreme package so no heated tanks or such. I just keep the gray tanks open, sewer hose on a nice straight down hill shot.

Short term temperature dips, such as just overnight are usually trouble free. As long as the temps the next day are above freezing or your hoses are on the sunny side of your rig, then you should be ok.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Near to freezing or slightly below freezing is a stretch to "Sub-Zero" temps... Additionally, to say "stay in below sub-zero no problem" Well then I do have a problem with it. Number one is burning thru propane. Knowledge level is equal to every degree below freezing. Lots to prepare for and understand to stay in a 5th wheel below zero degrees.
One of many available to help prepare...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote