Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

Aluminum scraps, sawdust?

2011 265BHS.

Is anyone else having issues with small shards, or pieces o aluminum shaking out from various places? I've had the same issue with saw dust.

I thought I had a stereo speaker going bad, rattling sound during play, but upon removing it from the ceiling, found it was full of sawdust. When I stuck my hand up into the hole, I found several handfuls of saw dust. It was easily fixed with a shop vac, but why am I having to do this? I'm curiois if anyone else is experiencing these issues, or if the sloppy shop practices only happened the day mine was built.

The aluminum is somewhat a hazard. I find some of that after it's imbeded into the floor covering and I'm in bare feet.

I bought the unit in September. It's been towed approximatley 10,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil
EL99jl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
camping

no sawdust in ours - but I did find a lot! of styrofoam behind the DVD player. several screws, small amounts of the aluminum scrap. unfortunately I think it is fairly common to find construction debris in the units.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
no sawdust in ours - but I did find a lot! of styrofoam behind the DVD player. several screws, small amounts of the aluminum scrap. unfortunately I think it is fairly common to find construction debris in the units.
Same here, including sawdust. Even now, after a year of ownership, the occasional chuck of styrofoam will fly out of the A/C vents
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just imagine, if you could put your personal home on wheels, shake for 1,000 miles of highway bumps, wind, rain, etc., do you know what you would get? Probably a lot worse. I'm not taking up for the factory, they could do a better job of cleaning up. I'm just saying be real, when it gets shaken like a camper going down the road, stuff will settle out.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I'm just saying be real, when it gets shaken like a camper going down the road, stuff will settle out.
Some stuff yes, yet not in the quantities I'm experiencing. I did not have this issue in my previous two trailers.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
stuff will settle out.
windrider, it is not so much as stuff settling out, but more like stuff being "left" behind. Imagine looking under the seats of your brand new car or truck and finding bits and pieces of electrical tape, wires, metal shavings from the metal manufacturing, and an assortment of other kinds of debris. Is this a big deal, absolutely not. Does it speak as to the workmanship and care given, I think yes.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Mine still have signs of factory dust but not as bad as I read here. When all the factory dust is gone my trailer will no longer be new. Ever since I removed the screen above the stove to inspect I find little shavings that falls out one piece at a time.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL99jl View Post
2011 265BHS.

Is anyone else having issues with small shards, or pieces o aluminum shaking out from various places? I've had the same issue with saw dust.

I thought I had a stereo speaker going bad, rattling sound during play, but upon removing it from the ceiling, found it was full of sawdust. When I stuck my hand up into the hole, I found several handfuls of saw dust. It was easily fixed with a shop vac, but why am I having to do this? I'm curiois if anyone else is experiencing these issues, or if the sloppy shop practices only happened the day mine was built.

The aluminum is somewhat a hazard. I find some of that after it's imbeded into the floor covering and I'm in bare feet.

I bought the unit in September. It's been towed approximatley 10,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil
Yep, sawdust and everything else coming out all over the place. I even found potato chips and a piece of sandwich in the heat duct in the floor! We have a 2011 Rockwood
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Yep, sawdust and everything else coming out all over the place. I even found potato chips and a piece of sandwich in the heat duct in the floor! We have a 2011 Rockwood
That is funny. Years ago, I worked for a Ford dealer and did PDI/s. A vehicle came in with a strange noise upon start and stop movements, other wise quiet ride. Turned out someone put a marble in the frame of the vehicle. Very funny, took a while to figure that one out and to find the darn thing. I collected a lot of extra nuts/bolts/screws/rivits/connectors - all left behind by the assemblers.

Jim in Martienz
buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Having worked in the building trades for years I have found that what you find left behind separates true craftsmen from ordinary construction laborers. It is not acceptable and when you pay the money they ask, it is a big deal. Knowing that it is going to be shaken and stirred by being pulled down the road for thousands of miles in its useful life is all the more reason for better quality control on FR's part.
Derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Good stuff folks.

I sorta got busted from my production folks after I sent all of them this link this morning - they pointed out several of the comments were not from Prime Time owners . I hadn't had my coffee before I blasted it off to them!

However, the thread was started by a PT owner and we will continue to improve in this area - thanks for the feedback.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #12

Scraps

Just went thru all the cubby holes on our new 2010 303RKS, found small amount of metal and saw dust and 4 extra screws. I saved the screws, I'll use them to fix or improve our trailer. This was a lot less mess than we had in our Wildwood, was still finding things and scrap after 6 years and 22,000 miles.

Good job Prime Time.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sawdust, aluminum