Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
New to Forest River

Another suggestion

RVGuy - I was going through my de-winterizing this morning for the first time (trailer was delivered 'winterized'). The panel to get to the water pump and bypass valves is held in place by 2 screws. This panel should be one that 'opens', since you have to repeatedly open and close it, over the years. With all of the hoses inside that panel, it seems it would have been an easy design item to put the hot water tank bypass valves over nearer the panel door, or at least face them toward that panel. Laying on your belly, working by feel, 2 feet inside the panel to a valve that faces AWAY from you is just not logical. Please advise your design people to improve that access.

thanks
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
RVGuy - I was going through my de-winterizing this morning for the first time (trailer was delivered 'winterized'). The panel to get to the water pump and bypass valves is held in place by 2 screws. This panel should be one that 'opens', since you have to repeatedly open and close it, over the years.
Prime Time isn't the only manufacturer falling short of what you would think is common sense, Palomino did the same thing on my TT.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Thanks for the feedback - makes sense.
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

My Flagstaff's panel was removed and discarded by the dealer's tech during my PDI for that very reason.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

Our recently purchased Challenger is designed similarly and two previously owned trailers (a FR Flagstaff & a Keystone Cougar) were frustratingly designed the same way. Never understood why easier HWH bypass access was not considered during engineering.

Maybe it just takes a post like this one to elevate the problem. Prime Time could make lots of points with a thoughtful redesign.
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Had similar panels on my GeorgeTown. One covered the water pump and associated hose/valves and the other covered the water filter compartment. Both only had hand holes for access. There was no way you could remove water filter, filter, through a hand hole. Removed panels the 1st day I brought it home.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #7

While we are asking the RVguy questions I would like to suggest that the RV industry could wire a 120 volt outlet to plug a space heater into. They could mark the outlet for heater use only and jump off the AC breaker. You do not use AC and a heater at the same time. This would allow a person to plug a heater into the 30 amp post and not be tripping the 15 amp breaker that controls the outlets in the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote