Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Tread separation and sidewall "blowout" are two completely different failures with completely different causes.

Checking the air in your tires every couple of hours is about as useful as removing the gauges from your instrument panel on the TV and checking the dip stick oil level every few hours. We have not had the technology available to monitor tire inflation until about 15 years ago. If you don't think TPMS is a good thing then I would challenge you to tell me how you would feel if we were to remove all your engine instruments.

Almost all sidewall "blowouts" are actually run low flex failures.
HERE is a detailed analysis with lots of pictures. I find it interesting that even after doing the analysis and telling the owner to get a TPMS he did not follow my suggestion. Guess what, he has had another similar failure.

Tread Separations can many times be detected before the tire comes apart if a thorough inspection is done.
Here is a video showing the out of round tire.
Fifthwheel Tire Wobble.mov - YouTube
Here is a post on the analysis of the tire seen in the video with links with more info and details than most want to know.

The facts and science are out there and available on many RV forums on how to avoid or at least minimize the costs and inconvenience of tire failures.
There are at least two tire engineers who are following a number of forums. Tire Engineering and tire failure analysis is a VERY specialized aspect of Engineering with only a handful of fully competent tire forensic engineers in the world. It takes decades and thousands of tire autopsies to become proficient in determining the real cause of a tire failure.

Simply changing brand or size or load range or country of manufacture is of no value if those features are not the real cause of the failure.

This would be like changing the brand gasoline used if the TV really was supposed to use diesel fuel.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
GY Marathon's ST 225/75R15 that came with my previous rig were Chinese junk. Tried Denman's made in Mexico. More junk. BFG Commercial T/A's-They were my solution. When I considered my PT I refused to use the tires that came on it and dealer put my BFG's from my old rig onto the new.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
on_the_bayou

BFGoodrich is voluntarily recalling two sizes of its BFGoodrich Commercial T/A A/S tires.
- The tires were produced between April 2010 and the end of July 2012.
- Sizes are: LT 235/85 R16 120 Q LRE and LT 245/75 R16 120 Q LRE.

Voluntary Safety Recall : Commercial T/A A/S LRE | BFGoodrich Tires
2012: 4564 mi 31 days - 2013: 6277 mi 38 days
2014: 5146 mi 38 days - 2015: 1200 mi 9 days
2016: 342 mi 2 days - 2017: 2734 mi 22 days
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #24

As Rebel said, "Glad you had no camper damage.". VERY happy, so far with my Kumho's ......

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
BFGoodrich is voluntarily recalling two sizes of its BFGoodrich Commercial T/A A/S tires.
- The tires were produced between April 2010 and the end of July 2012.
- Sizes are: LT 235/85 R16 120 Q LRE and LT 245/75 R16 120 Q LRE.

Voluntary Safety Recall : Commercial T/A A/S LRE | BFGoodrich Tires
This is good info. for those who are not aware of it. This recall is a year old recall and should be complete IF the selling dealer or consumer had their tires registered with them. I had 2 one my truck that were replaced.

BFG replaced many of those tires with Michelin XPS Ribs and other brands because of the tight inventory of replacement tires. I believe that most of those who were affected were pleased with the way it was handled.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #26

Tireman9,
Okay, I'm convinced. With all the tire failure stories on the forum I need a TPMS. There must be 30 or 40 of them listed on Amazon. Is there one brand that is better, more reliable, etc. than the others? What is your preference?
I apologize if this has already been discussed but there are too many threads to search to find it.

Bill
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #27

Most people on this forum seem to recommend the TST 507 System. (TST=Truck System Technologies)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Most people on this forum seem to recommend the TST 507 System. (TST=Truck System Technologies)
I have been really happy with our TST 507 system.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspickler View Post
Tireman9,
Okay, I'm convinced. With all the tire failure stories on the forum I need a TPMS. There must be 30 or 40 of them listed on Amazon. Is there one brand that is better, more reliable, etc. than the others? What is your preference?
I apologize if this has already been discussed but there are too many threads to search to find it.

Bill
I like the TireTracker brand and I use their system but let me state up-front that they are also the sponsor of my blog. I was not given the system but bought it at a show after reviewing the features.

Personally I prefer TPMS with replaceable batteries at a buck or so, rather than having to replace sensors at $30 to $70.
I like units with at least 3 year warranty. You know three times the warranty most of us got on our RV.
I like units that have more than one warning pressure that can warn if you get either a slow leak or fast leak.

Try to GOOGLE "TPMS warranty" to cut through the advertisements from those with big advertising budgets.

I have only evaluated 4 systems. Two internal and two external. While I have a personal preference, as an engineer I prefer to shop based on DATA and features rather than fancy advertising and comments made around the campfire that are not backed by any direct comparison evaluation.

BUT Any TPMS is better than No TPMS so all the suggestions are good.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #30

Tst 507

I've been happy with the TST 507 system. Have about 5,000 miles on the trailer while using them and have had no problems. They seem to be accurate within 1 or 2 lbs. After deciding that is the one I wanted, I found a really good price online and then called TST directly and they matched the price. Their customer service seems really good too.
Crusaderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
Happy owner SOB

I just bought the Tire Tracker and upgraded to 8 sensors so I can moniter my TV as well. 3 year warrenty sold me as they all appear about the same otherwise. FAST shipping.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaderguy View Post
I've been happy with the TST 507 system. Have about 5,000 miles on the trailer while using them and have had no problems. They seem to be accurate within 1 or 2 lbs. After deciding that is the one I wanted, I found a really good price online and then called TST directly and they matched the price. Their customer service seems really good too.
X2

Tags
tire