Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

AXLE'S

Well, we are here in Geneseo, IL, dead in the water once again with our beloved 2011 Crusadetr 270RET. With all that has happened to us and this coach, we are not at all surprised. Afyter pulling over at the IL visitor center here close top Geneseo, IL, we noticed there was a loud squaking noise coming from the coach and the brake controller was showing th OL code, open line. Got out to check the coach over, low and behold the left rear wheel was covered in a black powdered residue. Further inspection I found the center cap was missing and the EZ Lube cap waas missing along with the reaining nut just bout ready to fall off. Got the wheel and brake drum off in one piece as the bearings were completely gone along with the races. Now we are looking at having to replace the complete axle assembly as the axle is shot. These bearings were completely lubricated prior to us leaving on our trip to Canada/Ala\ska back in May. We have put well over 10K miles on the coach since then, do not understand why this has happened as the bearings were done exactly correct. We are held up here in a camp ground until Tuesday as Monday is a Holiday. Drove very slowly for some thirty miles to get to this this camp site. This along with the slide out problem, our tire problems and now this has all but ruined our Alaska Vacation....
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

It's an adventure. Anything can be fixed.
Dad drug the TT across a paved section of the highway with the TT wheels locked up because of a short. A welder spent about an hour re-attaching floor supports.
When we went we got a huge crack in the windshield, the rock that split the truck tire open broke up the TT skirt, a mechanic broke off one of the truck wheel
studs and we broke a TT spring so we had to replace 2.
We had FUN!!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Don't wanna sidetrack too much LKicklight, but do you still have that 2003 Sunnybrook that's in your signature. Would be interested on a side note to hear your comparison of that / then, and the now rig. I know my opinions as I owned 3 of them.

I hope for yall's sake your luck changes. Usually, for every bad thing that happens, there is something great just around the corner.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Well, we are here in Geneseo, IL, dead in the water once again with our beloved 2011 Crusadetr 270RET. With all that has happened to us and this coach, we are not at all surprised. Afyter pulling over at the IL visitor center here close top Geneseo, IL, we noticed there was a loud squaking noise coming from the coach and the brake controller was showing th OL code, open line. Got out to check the coach over, low and behold the left rear wheel was covered in a black powdered residue. Further inspection I found the center cap was missing and the EZ Lube cap waas missing along with the reaining nut just bout ready to fall off. Got the wheel and brake drum off in one piece as the bearings were completely gone along with the races. Now we are looking at having to replace the complete axle assembly as the axle is shot. These bearings were completely lubricated prior to us leaving on our trip to Canada/Ala\ska back in May. We have put well over 10K miles on the coach since then, do not understand why this has happened as the bearings were done exactly correct. We are held up here in a camp ground until Tuesday as Monday is a Holiday. Drove very slowly for some thirty miles to get to this this camp site. This along with the slide out problem, our tire problems and now this has all but ruined our Alaska Vacation....
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I guess you can call it the vacation from hell. I'm glad to hear you are safe. That's the important part.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Well, we are here in Geneseo, IL, dead in the water once again with our beloved 2011 Crusadetr 270RET. ...
I live about a half hour from Geneseo. I will gladly help out if you need anything. PM me if I can offer anything and I will pm you my phone number.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Lkicklight called me the other day and said he got the rv to a dealer, but he had to get a new axle shipped in. I haven't heard anything more so I hope everything is under control.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Lkicklight called me the other day and said he got the rv to a dealer, but he had to get a new axle shipped in. I haven't heard anything more so I hope everything is under control.
I hope so to what a nightmare, might make me start drinking.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

Comparison

the sunnybrook is now eleven years old, she has traveled at least 40K, to date she has only been back to the dealer one time those many years. Will not take a lot of time here, I'll just say this, we would swap four crusaders for one good Sunnybrook. Out SB still looks like new inside and out, original roof, original awning, one new set of tires in those 11 years.....just don;t make them like the use too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Don't wanna sidetrack too much LKicklight, but do you still have that 2003 Sunnybrook that's in your signature. Would be interested on a side note to hear your comparison of that / then, and the now rig. I know my opinions as I owned 3 of them.

I hope for yall's sake your luck changes. Usually, for every bad thing that happens, there is something great just around the corner.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 09-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
the sunnybrook is now eleven years old, she has traveled at least 40K, to date she has only been back to the dealer one time those many years. Will not take a lot of time here, I'll just say this, we would swap four crusaders for one good Sunnybrook. Out SB still looks like new inside and out, original roof, original awning, one new set of tires in those 11 years.....just don;t make them like the use too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto on old quality units 👍👍

Our Dutchmen was 16 years old when we sold it - all original EVERYTHING and all worked too!

Fast forward three years we are on our second one since Dutch and that old beast is STILL on the road all original yet !!! They definitely DO NOT make them like that anymore !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

Axle repair?

It may be a dumb question, but why can't a new axle stub be welded on instead of replacing the entire axle?
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott619 View Post
It may be a dumb question, but why can't a new axle stub be welded on instead of replacing the entire axle?
Between parts and labor of removing the old stub axle, pressing in a new stub, welding it up, re-assembly, and finally re-alignment. In that amount of time, you could replace BOTH axles. Bare complete axle tubes are cheap in comparison.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #12

Thank for the explanation. I thought that axles were more expensive than that. I knew that it was a dumb question but now I know.
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Axle Shaft

You are correct in your assumption, by the time you pull the axle complete out, have the shaft cut off and then have it jig welded back in place, cost is about the same and who knows how good the welder would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott619 View Post
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #14

Salvage Axle

J & J Campers of East Moline IN. can take credit for getting us back on the road. We took the coach over to there shop Wednesday morning at 8:30 am, there tech man got right on it, cleaned the old axle shaft up, installed new bearings and races, along with a new backing plate, brake shoes, magnet and brake axle hub. Also checked the other three wheels, replaced the shoes on the right front and right rear axles, repacked the bearings, adjusted all four wheels, and all by 4:00 pm that afternoon. Got to hand it to them, best damn serviced I have ever received. They have my vote for Dealer of the Year....Thanks Jason and Michael P, oh yes, GMC....We are leaving here Saturday morning for Elkhart, IN, need to address our Slide Out Issue on Monday..Thanks everybody for your help and encouragements..
kickster
1985 S-10 One Owner:

Tags
axle