Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Battery connectors

I am installing a battery disconnect on my new 2013 290RLT and discovered several crimp terminals that are improperly crimped and loose. There were also two wires in a single terminal which attached to the battery which was also loose. I will use two terminals to replace the single one which should have been done by the installer.
I would advise everyone to check all12vdc crimp connectors for proper installation.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Solder and heat shrink only way to go. Those connections in the battery box are exposed to highly corrosive gases. I make up a pigtail and make my secondary connections outside the battery box. Even a few 10ths of a volts greatly increases amp draw which equals heat.
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclay View Post
... Even a few 10ths of a volts greatly increases amp draw which equals heat.
Wayne,
I often make solder connections too, but as you probably know, a "properly crimped" connection is gas-tight, so the corrosive gases don't get in.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but your statement I quoted above is incorrect. Resistance in the connection will actually cause a slight decrease in the amperage (proportional to the voltage drop). The heat is caused by the normal high current flowing in those circuits passing thru the resistive connection. P = I*I*R
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

I replaced and soldered several terminals today.

You would think that as many connections as are made on these RV's they would use the correct crimp tools.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I am installing a battery disconnect on my new 2013 290RLT and discovered several crimp terminals that are improperly crimped and loose. There were also two wires in a single terminal which attached to the battery which was also loose. I will use two terminals to replace the single one which should have been done by the installer.
I would advise everyone to check all12vdc crimp connectors for proper installation.
Thanks for the heads-up, Ddubya! Going to check this out first thing in the AM!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I replaced and soldered several terminals today.

You would think that as many connections as are made on these RV's they would use the correct crimp tools.
BTW, I hope you passed this info on to the good folks at Prime Time!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #7

I took 3 years of electric shop in high school plus 2 more years of college when I thought I wanted to be an electronic engineer.

I was taught to make a good physical (load bearing) connection first (twisted wires, crimped connection, etc.) and make a good electrical connection second (solder).

So that is what I have been doing since 1972 and I have never been disappointed.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

While soldering the connectors is an excellent hedge against current loss it is not practical in the type of assembly used by RV manufacturers. The use of a proper crimp tool and good electrical practices would aid in decreasing installation time.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Trailer Trash

Good tight crimp on left, bad loose crimp in right

Cheap crimp tools on left, excellent ratcheting style crimper - the two on the right.

Then you have the skill level of the "professional" staff that wired up your camper.

Now you know why some wiring jobs last 30+ years and some fail 1st year. Even at the same company, it's a crapshoot with the quality of the wiring jobs. It really came down to who did the work. Some guys were good and some guys not so much. I used to be a traveling field service tech. One of my first questions back to the factory was........who wired it?
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery