Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Battery overcharge

Just noticed the sulfur smell from our 295rst te. Opened the cover, found two cells dry, added water, but still smell sulfur
Where is the battery charger? And is there a fuse, circuit I can shut off while I'm plugged in to 50amps?
Thanks

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

Not sure about your specific unit, but wanted to let you know that the portion of the plates that become uncovered, are now dead so your battery will not be able to function at design spec. I would suggest testing the output of the converter, when you locate it, to make sure it is operating within spec.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Sounds like converter is putting out above 14 volts should be closer to 13.8
Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

There is a 10amp fuse in the area of the battery, is that for the charger? Yes "still kick,n" I think the battery may need to be replaced but I'm thinking the charger is not backing off , and is boiling the bat dry. Since I'm in a campground, I just want to disconnect the charger for the time being.manual and docs are really lacking

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

Well, lets assume maybe a couple of cells were in need of distilled water, then you noticed they were dry when you smelled the acid gassing off. For the time being, disconnect the shore power, let the battery storage area vent properly(gas is combustable) and refill the batteries to the bottom of the plastic cylinder you see when you have the caps off looking in. Then reconnect and wait a couple hours and see if you see gassing (bubbling). If your converter is a recent build, its most likely a three stage, putting out different amperage at three different levels, depending on the batteries needs.

Do a little research on three stage converters, so your familiar with how they function in your situation, amperage outputs at stage, etc.

If its gassing after a couple hours under shore power, disconnect from shore power for the night just to be safe.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. Battery did bubble after adding water. Battery is hot! I had it off shore for 7 he's (trip to new campsite) afraid of fire so I disconnected the neg lead. Since the converter should still, and it does, the 12v systems. I hope I'm good till I can test both the battery and the charger. Will research the 3 phase. I will report back when I find the issue.

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Yes be safe battery explosion can take off the front of your TT. Never saw personally but pictures is close enough to get to battery explosion.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoArm View Post
Thanks for the reply. Battery did bubble after adding water. Battery is hot! I had it off shore for 7 he's (trip to new campsite) afraid of fire so I disconnected the neg lead. Since the converter should still, and it does, the 12v systems. I hope I'm good till I can test both the battery and the charger. Will research the 3 phase. I will report back when I find the issue.
Also, FYI some converters are designed to be used ONLY when a battery is connected. In essence it acts as a buffer for the amperage output from the converter to "smoothe" it down to the 12V output. You might risk converter damage if it is not equipped with circuitry to be used in absences of a battery connected. You can look up your converter operation manual, just look at the make and model off the cover, and it will tell you if you should be running it that way. It sounds like your converter isn't stepping down it's output, either because the battery is shot, or the converter itself malfuntioned. In any case be safe and Good luck.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #9

Turns out the battery has a bad cell. Battery only 18 months old but not covered after 1 year. Interstate 24 deep cell. They recommended to check the water in the battery once a month, as I leave it on shore power at home. How often does every one check their house battery?

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

That is why I like gel cell battery's cost more but never have to add water. Get about 10 years out of battery.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

1. Boiled off water and smell and hot case means toasted battery. Homicide!
2. When you attach the next one and plug the trailer in...check the voltage at the battery terminals...you should see around 14.5 V. After a few hours of charging...you should see around 13.2 - 13.5 volts. If it does not come down to this level in a few hours...you are toasting the new battery and there is a problem with the converter/charger. Disconnect the negative battery terminal on the battery once charged fully until you get a new charger. Don't leave it on "perk"!
3. I would check your DISTILLED water levels after 2 weeks and see if any is needed. If not...check after 4 weeks...then 6 weeks etc. until it looks like they are getting close to uncovered. It MAY be quite a while if your charger is behaving! You can stretch the interval beyond a month if you're not getting much boil off.
4. When you visit for your water check...bring your voltmeter with you and measure at the battery terminals while still plugged in. As long as you are between 13.2 and 13.5...all is well with the charger.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Your charger should be part of or right behind your power distribution center. that's where your breakers and fuses are... You may have to put the dist box to access it. Make sure you unplug from shore power.

Tags
battery