Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Bone Head - Broke My Ladder 2016 Lacrosse 327RES

Well, it's not new anymore. We went to Point LookOut State Park (Southern MD) this weekend. The sites on Tulip Court are very wooded. Beautiful in fact. After dog legging the trailer onto the site, I decided to try to straighten the trailer a little. My son was guiding me back. There was a tree right on the edge of the site (back corner). I could not see my son in the mirror due to a tree blocking my view. I was going super slow and I heard STOP. I got out and went to look at the tree hit my ladder (makes me feel better to say it that way). It hit right above the top rung on the left. It broke the aluminum frame. No damage on the roof. Just a bone head move. Below is a pic. Does anyone know where I can order a new ladder? Do I go through PrimeTime? I can install it myself. Pretty starlight forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431884452.662957.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	77197

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Call PT. They can ship to your dealer.

I feel your pain, I left my tailgate down on my Crusader and wrecked my front storage door. A hit to the ego and 500 bucks later I was whole again.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswalds View Post
Well, it's not new anymore. We went to Point LookOut State Park (Southern MD) this weekend. The sites on Tulip Court are very wooded. Beautiful in fact. After dog legging the trailer onto the site, I decided to try to straighten the trailer a little. My son was guiding me back. There was a tree right on the edge of the site (back corner). I could not see my son in the mirror due to a tree blocking my view. I was going super slow and I heard STOP. I got out and went to look at the tree hit my ladder (makes me feel better to say it that way). It hit right above the top rung on the left. It broke the aluminum frame. No damage on the roof. Just a bone head move. Below is a pic. Does anyone know where I can order a new ladder? Do I go through PrimeTime? I can install it myself. Pretty starlight forward.

Attachment 77197

Hay Bone Head do not be to hard on yourself or son. I did the same thing second timeout but my wife wasn't looking at the concrete table. I hit the table and broke the leg on the bottom. I took a piece of pipe and installed it in the tubing and ordered a new ladder through the dealer. They gave me two options either have it sent by common carrier Truck. "big Dollars" or wait til a new unit came in and FR put it in there free shipping. I paid for the ladder not much maybe 150 or so, with installation. When I went to Goshen the the first year they caught the installation and found that the dealer did not put self leveling caulk on the roof holes. They took care of it. THe first ladder was wrong and had to be reorder it took about 3 months but the inserted piece held it together until then. It happens to all of us BONE HEAD THINGS....just forget it and enjoy your family and camping.... In Fact we should start a thread about "BONE HEAD THINGS WE ALL HAVE DONE" Everyone has done something NOBODY IS PERFECT>

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Things happen (see the thread where dh put a screw through our 5er wall.) Minimal damage, easy repair. Get walkie talkies for backing in. We use them and it really helps. You don't have to watch for your son, no issues hearing and he can say things like tree 2 feet drivers side or whatever. Also we use drivers side and passenger side to help avoid confusion. It is DH's job to stay out of my way while talking me through the backing in.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

I know nothing about bone-headed maneuvers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431892075.223873.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	77228

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll call PT tomorrow. I should have used our walkies. Also, glad to know I am not the only bone head. Lol.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

I did and same thing on our maiden voyage with our MH. backed into a space and didn't see the tree limb hanging down. As they say S*%t happens.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Man, that's a shame...sorry to hear that.

Since my very French wife is barely 5-foot tall, we call each other on our phones and I put mine on speaker while she spots me for backing up.

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It happens to all of us BONE HEAD THINGS....just forget it and enjoy your family and camping.... In Fact we should start a thread about "BONE HEAD THINGS WE ALL HAVE DONE" Everyone has done something NOBODY IS PERFECT>
When you start that thread we'll give extra points for pictures. Wanna see the big dent in the back of my cab?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

Ehh, we all do stupid S**t some time or another.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #11

Sure Glad I'm not a bone head -- well maybe.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

I drove under a overhang at the dealership where I had work done on my motorhome. Since they work on motorhomes there, there should have been a sign (there is now) because it was only about 6 inches to short, however it was enough to take the front A/C unit off!
We've all been there, some lessons more expensive then others.
msmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #13

The roof of my house ran into my ladder and I was able to order parts from RV Surplus and repair myself fairly easy. factoryrvsurplus.com
clydngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

My ladder got broken in a bonehead move. Insurance paid for a new one but I just had the old one removed and bought a generic Little Giant ladder that is wonderful to replace the old one. It is an A frame ladder that can open up and extend to 17 feet tall. It can have many shapes useful around the camper. It is 4 feet tall when folded up and fits into the basement of my 5er easily. Best of all, it won't be damaged is I have another bonehead move. One other thing, we got walkie talkies to use when backing into spaces the speaker makes it hands free for me because I just have to listen to instructions.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #15

I called PT. They are sending a new ladder to my dealer. I have to take the trailer back for the lower slide seal to be replaced and will have them install the new ladder. I want to keep the old one since the steps/rungs are in perfect shape. Thanks for all the help. And, I do like all the other "Bone Head" stories. Lol.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #16

PT proves yet again why they are selling so many units. They are fantastic to deal with.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #17

Yep....count me in as well I took off with out retracting my power tongue jack and destroyed it.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswalds View Post

Attachment 77197

I did the same thing. Went to lumber yard and got wooden dawl that would fit inside. Good as new. My DW said "if we are going to use it, we are going to bruise it"
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #19

We are newbies and have bought a 2012 Forester 3011DS. We took it to get the oil changed. DH was off that day. I told him if he went to pick it up, NOT to back it in the driveway by himself. Just drive it straight in and we would back in when I got home from work. He didn't listen and ran off the driveway into an overhanging branch. Broke the ladder off at the top rung and roof fastening is loose. Any suggestions would be welcome as to how to repair it. Thanks!
blue daze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse