Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Thumbs up Buckhorn RV Park - Sulphur, OK

We had a family reunion in Sulphur, OK this past weekend. That's about 200 miles one way with about half of it on 2 lane roads. So I told my wife we might as well take the trailer and camp. We headed out Friday morning about 10:30, took our time, made a few stops and arrived at about 3pm.
We found a small privately owned campground (Buckhorn RV Park) about 7 miles south of Sulphur. This campground is a work in progress without any amenities at this time except for the full hookups. It was very peaceful and quiet. Our two oldest granddaughters joined us Saturday night and they had a lot of fun that evening and for a few hours this morning before we left just running around using their imaginations.
So with the busy day we had Saturday visiting with relatives, music and all the food, this campground was perfect.

Here's a few pics.

Our next trip out will be in a couple of weeks, October 7-9. We’ll camp at the local SP and do some fishing. I’m down to one bag a crappie in the freezer!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #2

Here's a few more pics.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Looks like a great set up Gary
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing Gary... Looks just perfect! I saw some water and some long sleeves! Haven't seen water here in awhile and no need for long sleeves either. :-(
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoPatrick View Post
Thanks for sharing Gary... Looks just perfect! I saw some water and some long sleeves! Haven't seen water here in awhile and no need for long sleeves either. :-(
I know what you mean. The weather was great. Highs in the low 80's and lows in the high 50's. The girls didn't have any jackets so they borrowed a flannel shirt and a hoody from my wife. We still have a burn ban so we weren't able to build a campfire.

The small creek was spring fed and it was low but still had plenty of water running through it. All the ponds in the area were about dried up.

The creek had some nice fish in it. I didn't think of grabbing my poles. If I was going to be there much longer I would have ran to wally world and got a couple.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
flc

I already had Buckhorn on the radar for our next trip to Arbuckle Lake. A group from our church go down there about once a year to fish and eat. I knew it had a little creek running through it but that looks better than I expected. Might be just right for a lightweight fly rod. Since it's fairly close my wife gets to tow the boat down while I pull the RV.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

There is a Buckhorn Campground Chickasaw NRA that is located on Arbuckle Lake, but you turn east, instead of west, to get to this campground. Then about a quarter of a mile and it's on the south side of the road. So don't get the two confussed.
My brother checked out the Buckhorn Chickasaw NRA a couple of weeks ago. I think it's W/E only. He said it's alright, but a little hilly and the sites were a little close together. But then his idea of a perfect campground is dry camping on some mountain side in Colorado.
The owner told me he stocks the creek and a couple of ponds with fish he catches in the lake. Since I didn't fish, I can't tell you if the fishing is any good or not.
Like I stated earlier, this park is bare bones. There is nothing other than the hook ups. The spot we had, site #15, was the only one with shade from the evening sun. There were about 4 or 5 long term campers there. We enjoyed the park because it was just what we needed for what we were doing that weekend, but if your very active and looking for lots to do, you probably wouldn't care too much for this park.
There was also camping just on the southeast side of town. I didn't drive into the camping area, so I can't tell you what it's like. From what I saw passing, it looked pretty nice.

Here's a couple of more pics.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
flc

I think this would work fine for the group. I am familiar with the campgrounds on the lake and the spots there are just too small for some of our RVs. Plus, the way the ladies use water in these outings requires sewer. Actually, I'm sorta like your brother and have done that many times in Colorado and New Mexico. We lived in Colorado for a few years before I retired. This group cooks and shares big meals, then the women head out for antique shops while the guys drag the boats to the lake. We have stayed at the one at the SE of town and it's fine but just a little far from the water.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

That's great.
You'll have to post some pics of your trip.
You may want to call ahead to reserve some sites. Here's a link to their campground info found on RV Park Reviews;
RV Park Reviews :: Sulphur, Oklahoma ( OK ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #10

Wife and I are making our way up there mid to late October. By any chance do you know when Fall Foliage starts to appear there in Oklahoma?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Wife and I are making our way up there mid to late October. By any chance do you know when Fall Foliage starts to appear there in Oklahoma?
It should be starting about that time, at least in the northern part of the state. It varies a little each year, so hard to say for sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
flc

Ruben, I grew up in SE Oklahoma. Left there a long time ago, even before Broken Bow lake was finished. As I recall, the foliage varied considerably year to year. In years with high moisture the foliage was very good. With this drought it may not be so good. I would recommend up around the Eureka Springs/Branson area. They usually have nice foliage. I'm going to Beaver's Bend in late October but I'm going for the fly fishing. My trip to Arbuckle will not take place till Spring, at least.