Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengacat View Post
Hi Tonyz, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I’ve gone through that process a few times and I still have a slow leak coming through. I’m heading about 3 gallons accumulated in the FW tank overnight when I was connected to city water. Of course the gauge still says empty at that point but I drained the tank to see how much was in it , after draining it completely the day before. I was hoping the troubleshooting tip you mentioned worked for me but no luck. :-(
One more suggestion if you've not found the pump... are you using a pressure regulator?

Higher city water pressures can overcome a pump's check valve.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

It will be fairly close to the fresh water tank. It is easier to push water than it is to pull (suck).
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
It will be fairly close to the fresh water tank. It is easier to push water than it is to pull (suck).
Not always... my current 5th wheel a Flagstaff 8529IKBS has the fresh tank in the very rear of the unit and the water pump in the pass through compartment some 30' away. No issues 'pulling' water either.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not always... my current 5th wheel a Flagstaff 8529IKBS has the fresh tank in the very rear of the unit and the water pump in the pass through compartment some 30' away. No issues 'pulling' water either.
Right... my Wildcat's pump IS near my fresh water tank; Uncle Gene's unit has its pump a significant distance from the water tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #25

Also don’t have same unit but mine is behind access panel under front of shower. One other thing to remember is always use a pressure regulator on city water connection.
bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just for clarification, travel trailers, 5th wheels, popups, truck campers, along with motorhomes, are all considered RVs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	192191
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #27

Have you tried walking around the outside?? in my 5th wheel it is in the basement storage area. Very much visable and not behind any panel.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
In my previous 2013 TT (SOB) I tried doing the listening thing to find the water pump...to no avail!

And then I finally looked at the one spot I hadn't looked...under the sofa!

Under a hidden panel there...was the water pump!

On the opposite side of the TT from the kitchen and on the other end of the TT from the bathroom, and nowhere near the water inlet!
John, funny you should mention this. I have become convinced that my water pump is under the sofa! It makes sense—the sound is centered there and it’s close to the FW tank which is directly underneath. I have no idea how I’ll move the sofa out of the way to check. I currently have a 7 ft tall cat tree wedged in between the sofa and the kitchen cabinet lol!! Looks like I’ll be playing the “sliding puzzle” game today! I would love to be able to install the check valve you mentioned....IF I can find the pump. I had city water disconnected last night and used water pump/FW tank. I turned the pump off overnight and when I turned it back on this morning, I heard water being pumped to the opposite end of the trailer which is where the water heater is. So I’m assuming the pump is allowing water to leak back into the FW tank, the same as city water was filling up the tank. I bought the new water pump but hopefully it’s something as simple as cleaning strainer etc. Anyway thanks for your response!
Jengacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #29

Quote:
One more suggestion if you've not found the pump... are you using a pressure regulator?

Higher city water pressures can overcome a pump's check valve.
Hi, yes I am using a pressure regulator at the end where my city water faucet is, installed with the arrow in the direction of the water flow. Should I be using it at the end where the water goes into the trailer? And do they ever go bad? This one was with the trailer when I bought it used. Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Hi, yes I am using a pressure regulator at the end where my city water faucet is, installed with the arrow in the direction of the water flow. Should I be using it at the end where the water goes into the trailer? And do they ever go bad? This one was with the trailer when I bought it used. Thanks
Using it at the water hydrant is the preferred method as it will then protect your hose and anything else in the mix.

Do they go bad... I've read of a few (not common at all) but unless you have a gauge showing what the pressure is, there is no way to tell unless it goes bad and stops the flow.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
John, funny you should mention this. I have become convinced that my water pump is under the sofa! It makes sense—the sound is centered there and it’s close to the FW tank which is directly underneath. I have no idea how I’ll move the sofa out of the way to check
Does the sofa fold out or flip out into a bed?

That is how you should be able to get under there.

Most of the sofas have storage under them, and if there is a section with a panel over it, that is probably where the water pump is.

Should be a few screws holding the panel in place.

This is the sofa I had (left in first photo)...it was under the right side of it (behind laptop screen in second photo, but is cut out):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	192218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campout2012-PC260022.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	192219  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Does the sofa fold out or flip out into a bed?
It flips out into a bed. I will be investigating further later today and I’ll report back! Thanks :-)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Most likely it will be located on the kitchen side floor under the sink, range, refer, pantry or wardrobe.
Hi, yes I agree and am in the process of looking in all these areas, thanks!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
Also don’t have same unit but mine is behind access panel under front of shower. One other thing to remember is always use a pressure regulator on city water connection.
There is a little access door on the faucet end of the bathtub. I’m looking there later, both for the water pump and to see how these stupid mice are getting in! I’m getting ZERO sleep because my cat is up all night upset because he hears mice but can’t get at them!!!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Have you tried walking around the outside?? in my 5th wheel it is in the basement storage area. Very much visable and not behind any panel.
Hi cavie, I may be wrong but IMO my TT is a very simple design as a 26ft pull behind. Everything “outside” is sealed underneath and I have no “bays” except one area where the water heater is. The storage compartments are just open areas. And I don’t believe there’s any “basement “ to speak of. But if all else fails, I will investigate outside! As an aside, I also called the manufacturer, who consulted the engineer! Apparently things are put different places in different trailers but...they were not of much help! I’ve gotten much more help in this forum! Thanks!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Using it at the water hydrant is the preferred method as it will then protect your hose and anything else in the mix.

Do they go bad... I've read of a few (not common at all) but unless you have a gauge showing what the pressure is, there is no way to tell unless it goes bad and stops the flow.
Thanks! At least I’m doing something right!!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #37
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I have no mice in my 5'ver...due to these guys (only have three of them now):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FourCats.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	192227  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #38

Quote:
I have no mice in my 5'ver...due to these guys (only have three of them now):
Nice! I have 3 as well! The male is the hunter—I guess I should leave the cabinet doors open so he can make his kill. But he has a tendency to bring live mice into the bed!!! Not cool lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	DB140929-0374-4914-8DC5-8BACF3CA9EA1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	192230
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12FF54C9-C1FA-4585-A091-CED4C21D43ED.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	192228  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #39

I had a 2016 Springdale 260le which is a very similar layout , and the pump was under the stove/sink area , I had to remove my fuse panel to get to it. Think you might have already tried but just adding
eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Hi cavie, I may be wrong but IMO my TT is a very simple design as a 26ft pull behind. Everything “outside” is sealed underneath and I have no “bays” except one area where the water heater is. The storage compartments are just open areas. And I don’t believe there’s any “basement “ to speak of. But if all else fails, I will investigate outside! As an aside, I also called the manufacturer, who consulted the engineer! Apparently things are put different places in different trailers but...they were not of much help! I’ve gotten much more help in this forum! Thanks!
Basement is the term in 5er's because of the split level layout. It is the storage area under the bed accessed from the outside of the camper. Every trailer has some fersion of this. I open the side door and there it is. As stated these pumps are put EVERYWHERE. But finding it can't be that hard. They make plenty of noise. Some are behind panels, some are not.

Tags
pump, water, water pump