Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Cold front moving in before winterizing

Hey guys, I have a quick question, it's my first winter with my Prime Time Avenger 191XL trailer and I need your advice.

I have not winterized my TT yet because I have a bbq competition next weekend, the problem is there is an arctic front moving in early this next week and I don't want anything to get wrecked.

What do I need to do?

Do I empty everything and open the low point drains?

or

Do I just turn on the water heater for a few days and let the furnace run to keep everything warm?

I don't want to jack anything up and this is my first winter with a travel trailer. Any advice is appreciated. Feel free to dumb it down for me. Thanks everyone
NorthernVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
WFD

How cold will it get? You could just blow out all your lines depending on how cold it will get, or just be safe and winterize! Doesn't take that long....you will be a whole more aggravated if it gets cold and stays cold for a couple days and damages anything.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Winterizing isn't really that hard or time consuming given the alternative of broken pipes. I've gotten really good at it and did it with a little over a gallon of pink stuff. I blow the lines out first though. My buddy never uses antifreeze and just relies on blowing out the lines and has not had a problem yet. We did cook the Jack once a couple of years ago and I winterized the camper when I left it in KC after the Royal. I hate fixing plumbing! Good luck at your comp, may your name be called last!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

I would blow it out, drain water heater and low point drains. That should be sufficient
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #5

Yeah getting into the teens first part of the week highs in the 30's, so I may just blow out the system, drain the hot water tank and open the low points. I need to fill it back up Friday and head to the comp with it, where I will keep it warm the whole time, of course.

Congrats on cooking the Jack. That's an accomplishment in bbq. Thanks for the feedback guys, will do the full meal deal after the comp and let her sit for the winter.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #6

So is there anything I need to do for the interior faucets or pump? All I did was drain the water heater tank, opened the low point drains and main tank, hooked up the blowout valve and pushed compressed air through the lines.

I have never done this before so I don't want my pump or anything to get jacked up. Hopefully this is all I need to do before I use it again next weekend. After that I will pump in antifreeze and figure out the whole meal deal for winterizing but this cold snap coming in is going to be a cold one lows about 10 highs at 23 for a week.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You, still, have water in the P-traps under your sinks and shower so just dump about a cup of the red RV antifreeze into all of those. Also put a couple of inches of the pink stuff in the toilet to protect the rubber seals.

When you ran the compressed air, you ran every faucet and shower head (inside and out) until only air was coming out, right?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

No Rick, that is why I asked. Should I hook it back up and open the faucets to blast it out again?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
No Rick, that is why I asked. Should I hook it back up and open the faucets to blast it out again?
Yes, you need to blow out all the lines and faucets.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
Yep and make sure you have the low-point drains closed else you won't get any air pressure in the lines. (I learned that lesson this year....my "DUH" moment!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #11

Vandal, it only takes a few minutes to get it done and pour the antifreeze in the P traps and grey & black tanks. You are going to get it worse than us down here in the Boise area. Good luck.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize