Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Another thanks autorot8 for the info. + pics. I think I am going to look at doing this too.

On a related note regarding the Coleman grills, does anyone have a problem with pressure when coming directly off the tanks (with adapter)? I noticed on this past weekend, with our Roadtrip grill, when I turn on the 2nd burner and turn it right up, the flame on the 1st burner goes down quite a bit. Not really sure why this would happen? Just had the tanks filled so it's not because the tanks are low.

Had that same problem the first time I tried an extension hose directly from the tank to the Coleman regulator. I found that the hose was defective. I bought a new hose and the grill has worked fine ever since.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #22

autorot8,

Thank you ver much for the info and pictures!!! I had a hose with a "T" made up so I could connect the Road Trip and the existing trailer grill at the same time. The quick connectors from the local LP store did not work with my trailer so I had to get the right ones from my RV dealer. Now I just have to get a second regulator assembly so I can dismantle one and convert it to work on my hose. You, my friend, are a saint!!!
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #23

Just thought I would add a little food for thought...

We just had a gasfitter at our house and I thought I would ask him about the above mods to an RV. Turns out he is a long time RVer. He said as far as he was able to determine that the Coleman (and other) grilles use a slightly different pressure than the low pressure level inside an RV. He couldn't recall for certain (it'd been a while since he looked into it) if it was slightly more or slighty less but he thought it was slightly more.

So - it *might* be that the making an adapter to eliminate the one that Coleman provides on the grille may actually produce somewhat less heat at the burners. Anyone here have access to a gauge to read propane pressures??

Our Coleman regulator could be faulty or it may be the hose. I am going to screw on a small propane bottle directly to the regulator to see if that helps. If it does, it means that the hose is faulty. Need to find time to fiddle around with this thing.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #24

That regulator looks the same as the one I had, It has a valve in it to stop LP flow when unhooked. I did bypass my grill regulator in order to use the camper LP system, Pain in the butt to haul another LP bottle. Here is what I put in another post.
After some research I decided on the CampChef MVP sport grill. Haven't tried it yet but thought i would tell you about my mod. I ordered several model 250 propane quick connects that fit my Crusader, had the local propane place make me a 20ft hose with the quick connects on it. I then went to the hardware store and bought a 3/8 female flare to 3/8 female pipe thread adapter. this adapter threaded right onto the propane inlet on the grill! Worked great and only cost about $1.50 not including the longer hose, works fine with the short hose, too. The OEM connector had a needle that depressed a recessed Schrader valve on the regulator end allowing propane flow only when fully engaged. the flare adapter threaded right over the needle so no cutting or anything just a wrench and some thread tape.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #25

I fired off an email to Coleman explaining to them what I wanted to do. Here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Coleman.

Due to the volume of e-mail we have received, we have fallen behind in responding. We apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Coleman appliances are not designed to be hooked to the low-pressure propane systems found on RVs. Coleman appliances require higher pressure than is put out by the RV systems.

Some RVs provide a high-pressure connection to allow the use of outside appliances. To use a Coleman appliance with a high-pressure RV connection, you will need:

First: At LEAST 15 PSI at the connection

Second: The proper hose to attach the appliance. The regulator that comes with the Coleman appliance MUST be used in line between the RV connection and the appliance

If the connection is the same as the top of a 16.4 oz cylinder, you can use the 2000005042 8’ High-pressure Extension Hose. If the connection is one like the standard POL valve on a 20# cylinder, you can use the 2000005062 5’ High-pressure Propane Hose and Adapter.

If you need further information, please visit us online at http://www.coleman.com.

Thank you,
Coleman Consumer Service"
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #26

Coleman Roadtrip connected to RV

Yes, all that Coleman says is true, that is why you have to REMOVE the Coleman regulator to successfully connect the Roadtrip to an RV connector.

Then, of course you need to completely kill the regulator by removing the "Coleman connector" and adapt it to the end of your new hose.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
DDC

LP Gas Control Valve with Quick-Connect - Camco RV 57274 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World

You can get the hose and quick disconnect too. Just unscrew the reg. and replace it with the control valve, I did it with my coleman and it it works great.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #28

Let use all see what your talking about
rockwood ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #29

Coleman Roadtrip Barbaque

Let's be clear about the type of barbaque and connections. DDC do you have a Coleman RoadTrip barbecue that has a regulator with a special brass check valve connector?
The original question was connecting a Coleman ROADTRIP Barbecue directly to a low pressure RV connector, not all Coleman barbecues.

The Coleman ROADTRIP has a regulator that has to be removed in order for the low pressure gas to function in the Roadtrip model. Then, the connection to the ROADTRIP is a special Coleman fitting with a built in check valve, this is not available at Camping World. If you have a Roadtrip model you must take the fitting off the Coleman regulator and adapt it to the quick disconnect hose that is available from Camping World. Then your Coleman Roadtrip barbecue is ready to go !!!
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #30

I wish you had Pics showing the set up .
Thanks Rockwood ron
2013 Forest river 1910
2003 GMC Envoy V8
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #31

Coleman Roadtrip Grill to RV Low Pressure Line

The attached picture should make the connections clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Hose 2.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	19149  
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #32

Very nice, simple and clean. Thanks for the picture. I'll be showing this to my LP man and saying "See! I told you!!!"...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #33

Thanks looks good i'll do it.

Thanks Rockwood Ron
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walke View Post
Let's be clear about the type of barbaque and connections. DDC do you have a Coleman RoadTrip barbecue that has a regulator with a special brass check valve connector?
The original question was connecting a Coleman ROADTRIP Barbecue directly to a low pressure RV connector, not all Coleman barbecues.

The Coleman ROADTRIP has a regulator that has to be removed in order for the low pressure gas to function in the Roadtrip model. Then, the connection to the ROADTRIP is a special Coleman fitting with a built in check valve, this is not available at Camping World. If you have a Roadtrip model you must take the fitting off the Coleman regulator and adapt it to the quick disconnect hose that is available from Camping World. Then your Coleman Roadtrip barbecue is ready to go !!!
You wouldn't happen have the part numbers handy would you?

Thanks,
Kevin.....
23csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Bob...We also bought a Coleman grill and the first time I tried to use it I got fittings to connect to the gas line out of the regulator. THAY WAY DOES NOT WORK. The line is double regulated and does not put out enough gas. Went back to the friendly propane supplier and got a new set of fittings and got the grill hooked up between 1 of the gas bottles and the reglator and it works GREAT. I got the fitting aimed so that the gas bottle cover still works. Very well pleased how it all turned out.
Here are a couple pictures of how we were able to make our Coleman grill work.....With the grill connection between the bottle and the rv regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	19642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	19643  
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #36

Trying to make it CLEAR

HI 23CSP,

Thanks,
Kevin.....

Hi Kevin,

I am assuming you asking me this question about "part numbers"????

The above picture I posted of the hose that connects a Coleman Roadtrip barbeque with its regulator REMOVED is a home project, not a part number off the shelf.
The step process of this project would be:
(a) What kind of connector is on my RV? Often a quick dis-connect fitting. Go to Camping World and buy the propane hose that will fit this connector, the other end has to be removed and re-built.
(b) The other end of the hose is a complete build. What ever connection it has will have to be removed and fittings purchased at a propane service centre to adapt to the Coleman final "check valve connector". The published photo in the above post shows an elbow, then a nipple and then the Coleman "check valve connector" that was removed from the Coleman regulator.

If you are not comfortable breaking the regulator connection, purchasing proper adaptor fittings and properly making these connections, then it is best that you use the Coleman Roadtrip with a propane tank as designed.

Bob has away to do this above as well, but you will have to buy and build, these hoses will not be a part number off the shelf. Coleman wants you to return and buy their little 6 pack of propane bottles at Walmart.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #37

Quote:
HI 23CSP,

Thanks,
Kevin.....

Hi Kevin,

I am assuming you asking me this question about "part numbers"????

The above picture I posted of the hose that connects a Coleman Roadtrip barbeque with its regulator REMOVED is a home project, not a part number off the shelf.
The step process of this project would be:
(a) What kind of connector is on my RV? Often a quick dis-connect fitting. Go to Camping World and buy the propane hose that will fit this connector, the other end has to be removed and re-built.
(b) The other end of the hose is a complete build. What ever connection it has will have to be removed and fittings purchased at a propane service centre to adapt to the Coleman final "check valve connector". The published photo in the above post shows an elbow, then a nipple and then the Coleman "check valve connector" that was removed from the Coleman regulator.

If you are not comfortable breaking the regulator connection, purchasing proper adaptor fittings and properly making these connections, then it is best that you use the Coleman Roadtrip with a propane tank as designed.

Bob has away to do this above as well, but you will have to buy and build, these hoses will not be a part number off the shelf. Coleman wants you to return and buy their little 6 pack of propane bottles at Walmart.
Ken,

I've got no issue tearing things apart and rebuilding them.. My Gulfstream Visa has a 250 low pressure quick disconnect female fitting mounted from the factory.

I was curious if you had the hose, 90 fitting and adaptor part numbers you used.

I was going to buy those parts and buy the male 250 fitting to connect to my trailer. I was then going to pull off the coleman regulator and connect the adapter to it, the 90 fitting to the adapter, the hose to the other end of the adapter and then connect the 250 male fitting to the other end of the hose and I was going to be done...

Thanks,
Kevin.....
23csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #38

Hi Kevin,
Yeh, I picked up the parts from a bin and said "yes, that's what I need". Sorry, part numbers would not even be known by the owner of the shop where I purchased my hose and fittings. I suggested Camping World because I know they carry these hoses, but the fittings are a good hardware store or gas service centre.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #39

Here's a hose that I put together for my Coleman Roadtrip Grill:

I have a "T" one end so I can connect multiple items at the same time. The male and female quick connects I got from the RV dealer as the ones at the LP shop were just a hair different and did not work. The other end is the brass coupler that I unthreaded from the Coleman Regulator Assembly.

Here you can see how it connects to the back of the grill:

I am getting a second hose made up for a friend and I will get any part numbers that I can in regards to the elbow and the connectors.

Dave.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #40

Quote:
The attached picture should make the connections clear.
I realize this thread is quite old. Last summer I upgraded to a TT with LP quick disconnects. I've been wanting to make this conversion as well. However my local Home depot couldn't help me find the appropriate nipple to convert the Coleman grill side fitting to something NPT standard. Can you tell me what the threads on your nipple are so I can build my own adaptor?

Thx
-John

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote