Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Considering 290rlt and 295rst

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. It's got great information here. I am interested in the prime time crusader 5th wheel. There is a couple models I'm looking at. If anyone that has either the 290RLT or the 295RST models please give me any feedback you can. I have a few questions about them.

1) how well are they insulated? I've looked all over for this information and have got nothing. I don't often camp in cold weather, just for our Canadian thanksgiving is usually the last trip. It can get down to freezing. So how well insulated are the tanks?

2) how well build are they compared to other model's.

3) how pleased are you with your crusader? What do you like, dislike about it. Any real problems with it?

4) how is the warranty handled? Any problems dealing with warranty?
Thanks in advance for all the information.
Richard.
richwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Site Team

While you wait for feedback to your questions I wanted to welcome you to the forums!

In my opinion the key to dealing with warranty issues can depend on the dealership you select to do business with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Hi Richard, and welcome to the forums!
As you can see below, we have now logged over 10,000 miles in our 2012 290RLT TE, and we love it! We have camped in temps ranging from near 100F down to some wet and chilly nights in the Canadian Rockies that were close to freezing... and that was early June!...
question 1. if you plan to wrap up your rig in early October with the Canadian Thanksgiving, you should be fine... The 290 comes with an electric faux-fireplace that will keep things warm and cosy. (we took ours out and converted the space into storage space, and use a small 110volt light weight Vornado heater to take the chill off when necessary without needing to use the furnace. (The furnace is excellent and will get you from frosty to tropical in a very short time-frame. The ducts will also heat up the underbelly if you are in sub-freezing weather.) The truth of the matter is that the insulation on these lighter weight 5th wheels is marginal; you can only get so much insulation into those skinny walls! Even the best insulated rigs will run into problems when exposed to strong freezing winds. Actually, at sub-freezing temps, the wind is a greater enemy than just the temperature, and a 30 kmh wind at -10C (in Canadian speak) will pretty much overcome even the best insulated RV!
On our way down to AZ last March, we spent one cold night in New Mexico at 26-27F (-3C) and were fine, but I had the rig toasty with the furnace before we turned in for the night. Also, there was no appreciable wind.
2. We looked at many brands before settling on Prime Time's 290 RLT and the decision was based not only on the excellent floor plan, but also 'fit and finish', which we found superior to other makes in the same weight/price range.
3. We are extremely pleased with our Crusader, and have experienced no problems after a few initial flaws were corrected by Prime Time prior to final acceptance. These were cosmetic flaws that were corrected by our dealer (Liberty RV; Liberty, MO) The only thing my wife dislikes about it is the valence over the bed, which has bumped into her head on several occasions. We have no problems with slides, and no problems with the functioning of the appliances. I did replace the Sunon cooling coil fan on the back of the fridge, because it was way too noisy for my liking... I posted the simple mod here in the forum. The factory Road Rider tires have logged over 10,000 miles without an issue.
4. Prime Time has an excellent 1 year warranty that pretty much covers everything, and no customer should hesitate a second to call Prime Time direct if their dealer is slow to respond to warranty issues. They are also extremely helpful with answers to any questions not covered in the manuals.

So, my $0.02 would be to shop and compare carefully, and no matter what yu decide to buy, insist on a thorough walk through and test of every system at the dealer before you drive it off the lot. Liberty RV spent over 3 hours with me giving excellent instruction and tips for every function of the trailer, and a thorough inspection of every last inch, inside and out. This is not just a purchase; it is also a major investment for most of us, and best you leave the dealer with EVERYTHING tested and fully understood by you, the customer.

Good luck and happy trails to you and yours!
Jim

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

Forgot to add that I also installed an in-line water filter. (If you taste some of the water down in KS OK NM or AZ etc etc, you'll probably want to do likewise; unless you're from Saskatchewan, which also has water hard enough to sandblast with... (in some parts, that is, so maybe you're used to it?)

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #5

J_Khawthorne, thanks very much for your information. It's very much appreciated. We live in Alberta, but to travel in, Saskatchewan some. Where we are in Alberta, we don't as hard of water as some.
Glad you really like your crusader. It's between that, and a Dutchman Denali right now. Thanks Again.
richwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #6

Nice review Jim.It's good to hear your not having issues with the Road Rider tires that others seem to be having.I was actually debating taking them off but will continue to press my luck so to speak!We will be getting close to 8k on ours for the year after our next trip to Fl.Only real issue has been the refrig. cooling ability in really hot weather.I think it was you and I that discussed that?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
It's good to hear your not having issues with the Road Rider tires that others seem to be having.I was actually debating taking them off but will continue to press my luck so to speak!We will be getting close to 8k on ours for the year after our next trip to Fl.Only real issue has been the refrig. cooling ability in really hot weather.I think it was you and I that discussed that?
Thanks, RV!
Yes, we did talk about the fridge cooling awhile back. Ours is the 8 cf Dometic... is that the same as yours?

I may be a tad biased, but it seemed to me that ours did cool better after I replaced that @#$%&&#$ noisy Sunon fan, but I don't have a shred of real hard evidence to support that claim!

The original RR tires are still holding together. I checked them more carefully than usual before we headed down to Bennett Spring for some trout fishing last week, and outside of some 'normal' and very even tread wear, they show no sign of deterioration or cracking. I want to get a tire monitoring system installed over the winter. Do you have any ideas about those?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Yeah I did not change out the fans after all.As far as the tire monitoring system don't have a clue? I know of course CW sells them. I'm trying real hard not to invest ANOTHER arm and leg into this venture,so I'm hoping covering my tires when not in use and checking the pressures religiously will keep me safe. No pun intended!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Crusader 290RLT

We purchased the 2013 290RLT in July. We traded a cougar Xlite 24RLS TT which we purchased in November 2011. There are advantages in each.
We have camped in the 290 14 nights now. So far no major problems. However we are very disappointed in the fact that we have to wrestle the two chairs around in order to close the slides. The left chair has to be picked up and moved all the way forward to the kitchen or placed upside down on the couch. If you slide it you will more than likely tear the floor covering in the kitchen.
The right chair has to be picked up, turned around and placed back by the rear window sideways. Other wise the slides can't close. I'm not a young man and it is all I can do to get this done. This was not pointed out until we had signed the check. Oh yeah, if the chair is turned the wrong way it can turn a little while underway causing the slide facing to catch on the chair arm tearing the facing off as you run the slide out. Don't ask how I know. This is a real pita.
I think the 290 will be fine. Have to deal with the issues all units seem to have.
Hope this helps.
2011 F250 6.7L Diesel 4X4 CC SB
Nikon Camera
Old Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

Yep,DW found out on that one.We bought different recliner/rockers and keep the right one were it is and switch the right dining room chairs to the left rocker position and it fits right nice back by the table.A little work but once you get a routine worked out,nothing to it!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #11

Smile 290 chairs

Quote:
Yep,DW found out on that one.We bought different recliner/rockers and keep the right one were it is and switch the right dining room chairs to the left rocker position and it fits right nice back by the table.A little work but once you get a routine worked out,nothing to it!
We are interested in which chairs you bought. When you say leave the right one where it is, this as you stand looking forward, correct? Would really like to know detains of what you do. You might just save my back!
Nikon Camera
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

First off you have the 290 which is somewhat shorter than our 320.So not sure how much space we're talking about.That being said we did some measuring and found some at least I would say smallish recliners from a furniture store,Haverty's. They are a chain store and may be down your way.They were a perfect fit and the backs detach from the bottom so they were easy to get through the door.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

That's our problem

Quote:
First off you have the 290 which is somewhat shorter than our 320.So not sure how much space we're talking about.That being said we did some measuring and found some at least I would say smallish recliners from a furniture store,Haverty's. They are a chain store and may be down your way.They were a perfect fit and the backs detach from the bottom so they were easy to get through the door.
The 290 has very limited space on the left rear as you face the rear. That chair has to be turned sideways where ir sits in front of the rear window. I'm not sure we can find one that narrow to fit there. We do have Haverty's. your idea of moving the right chair, as you face the rear, to where the dinging chairs are just may work. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Nikon Camera
Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

Wife says they are called Sydney swivel rockers.Not sure if they still make them.Hope that helps!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geek View Post
We are interested in which chairs you bought. When you say leave the right one where it is, this as you stand looking forward, correct? Would really like to know detains of what you do. You might just save my back!
Hi!
I sure appreciate the hassles of the original rockers on the 290! At first, I strapped the right rocker down on the bed-sofa for travel, the squeezed it in behind the dinette, and strapped the two lighter chairs on the sofa.

Kathy and I saw a pair very well-made teak & leather Ekornes (Norwegian) recliners at Nebraska Furniture Mart and bought them to replace the original swivel rockers.
Nebraska Furniture Mart or
Nebraska Furniture Mart

They are very pricy but very comfortable and they are used all the time at home, too... and my old one was shot. One stows sideways on the left and the other squeezes into the space behind the dinette. No worries, as these are half the weight of the originals! These are easy to stow.

We have also taken to leaving two of the dinette chairs behind, as we found we were never using them. With the 2 recliners, the sofa and the 2 dinette chairs there is still lots of seating.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwebb View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. It's got great information here. I am interested in the prime time crusader 5th wheel. There is a couple models I'm looking at. If anyone that has either the 290RLT or the 295RST models please give me any feedback you can. I have a few questions about them.

1) how well are they insulated? I've looked all over for this information and have got nothing. I don't often camp in cold weather, just for our Canadian thanksgiving is usually the last trip. It can get down to freezing. So how well insulated are the tanks?

2) how well build are they compared to other model's.

3) how pleased are you with your crusader? What do you like, dislike about it. Any real problems with it?

4) how is the warranty handled? Any problems dealing with warranty?
Thanks in advance for all the information.
Richard.
Hi
I was wondering if you made your decision? We are looking at trading our Tracer 230FBS TT for the Crusader 295 RST.
Also: If anyone else has a suggestion we would have to get a truck and I was wondering about a F150? I see the tow ratings on Ford's website but I was wondering if the 6.2L is the way to go or if the 5.0L would be enough.
Mike
Jeep 5.7L Cherokee
Tracer 230 FBS
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #17

We have a 290RLT and it seems to be insulated well, we have been out in 20f and the unit was tight and stayed heated well over night and all worked good. All in all a nice 5ver. and we tow it with a 2011 F150 With a 5.0 3.73 gear ratio, it tows real good plenty of power stops great and i get 11 mpg. I am at the max though for GCWR @14900 lbs. But it does not feel like that towing very stable. If i had known we getting a fith wheel I would have gotten the max tow f150 W 17100 GCWR little more weight cushion.
Jx650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
290rlt, 295