Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Considering a Crusader

After going through many fivers at the area rv show, I am very impressed with the Crusader 260RLD. It has everything we want with all the options, right length, and the price is right. However, after talking with other rv owners and asking what they liked/disliked about their rigs, one detail may be the deal breaker. There are no windows beside the swivel chairs. So, I can't sit by the window and read or can't see outside, esp. on the door side. Other brands about the same size have side windows that even open. So, this may be a suggestion for the next year and I may wait or keep looking. My 10 year old fiver is good for a few more miles. Any suggestions --or are there other FR products with similar qualities and windows?
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #2

We bought a 260RLD last march.We have made a few trips in it and really love it! This is our first camper and we looked at a lot of em and got it down to this one and a copper canyon. The thing I like/dislike is the large back window. Yes there are no windows on the sides by the chairs. We camped at one place that had a creek running behind the camper,so I turned the chairs around and sat for quite a while looking out the window at the creek. The best thing about it is we have had NO ISSUES with it what so ever......None..... I'm not real crazy about the little stand between the chairs but it does have outlets there so I can charge my reader while I sit looking out the window.We took it to a State Park here in Ar and It was Hot Hot Hot,we plugged it in a 50 amp circuit and it was cool in there in less than an hour. I was impressed with the single A/C unit. We put a little 20 inch TV in the bedroom and love to watch TV in the bedroom.Moving the driver side chair around to tow and set up kinda stinks but we live with it. We put the table down and put the bicycles there and put 2 8 ft. kyaks in the bedroom. The dogs love the Crusader(we have 2 scotties) When they see the truck back under the Trailer they know they are going on an adventure......Ok I'll stop now........Guess you can tell that we love our Crusader.......Good Luck.....
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

CRusader 270 RET

Recently purchased a brand new 270 RET Coach and the one and only trip we have made with it was acceptable. Being the first time out, we had some issues that were fixable, like no handle on the galley gray water dump valve, dealer missed that on his inspection...Also check your lug nuts if you have the aluminum wheels, ours has a problem in that the lug bolts do not come all the way through the lug nuts...Forest River and the dealership have been made aware of the problem. We have already had one lug bolt break off. Think the problem may be in that the hubs were made for steel wheels and we have aluminum wheels..check yours also:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

"We have already had one lug bolt break off."
-------------------------------------------------
Yikes, that is definitely not good. You didn't mention the broken stud in your other posts on the issue. There is something wrong, big time. If one stud broke, they could all go. Losing a wheel could be disasterous.

But I also like the Crusaders, except for the fact the ones I looked at had such a small basement. Have they changed that on the new models?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Studs/Nuts

I was told that the hub manufacturer makes two kinds of wheel hubs..one is for steel wheels(short studs) and the other is for aluminum wheels long studs)...no doubt we have the wrond hubs on our Crusader, because it does in fact have aluminum wheels which of course requires the longer studs...anyway, we have sent photo's to Forest River, Three Way Camper and of course here...no doubt it will be fixed at some time, but when. Right now we are scared to take it on the road again!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Repairs

Lug Bolt and Lug Nut problem has been resolved and solved..all is well!!
Thanks FR....and 3Way