Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Considering a Crusader 296bhs

Any Crusader 296 bhs owners out there. Considering it as the kids get bigger and the current bunks in our Wildcat are very narrow. I'd love to here about likes/dislikes problems, etc. Any comments on the leveling system? Primetime looks to be a quality manufacturer, thanks for any thoughts and advice.
2013 - 29, 2012 - 29, 2011 - 23, 2010 - 33, 2009 -35, 2008 - 29, 2007 - 31
bka4tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #2

I don't have your model but a diff crusader. We love it. You won't be disappointed!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #3

We have a Crusader too (not bunkhouse) and love it so far....no issues yet 👍. Just got it Sept 2013 and first trip out was great !! It has the auto-level - what a great option... No more hand crank jacks on the back of rig!!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We have a Crusader too (not bunkhouse) and love it so far....no issues yet 👍. Just got it Sept 2013 and first trip out was great !! It has the auto-level - what a great option... No more hand crank jacks on the back of rig!!!

I agree with the auto level. What a nice feature that you can hit the auto level button and go on to doing other things. Takes a min or two to complete but I was hooking up the water and cable while it was doing its thing. The less I have to fuss with when I setup the better.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #5

Crusader is certainly a quality rig. We really like ours and spent plenty of time shopping and comparing before buying last year.
You won't be disappointed with the 296 bhs and the Touring Edition package is a must have.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

That 296 just came out. Infact they just started coming off the lines and are slowly hitting the dealers. I ordered one back in January and picked it up last weekend. Have not used it yet, but I have started doing all my tweaks. I am happy thus far. Only used the Leveling system once when I got home. Seems nose high right now but I do need to put a level on it. I do beleive there is a procedure for calibrating it. Ill have to check into that. But man was it nice to just hit a button and let it do its thing. It also sits perfect on my F250 CC SRW Short Bed.
A few changes that I making:

Larger Batteries and Inverter. Maybe Solar.
Satellitte Roof mounted dish
Toilet Paper Holder (Doesnt Come with One)
Rack on the back to hold my Tote
Rear Hitch
Bedroom TV's
Tore out those $5 bathroom faucets and put some nice stainless ones in
Roof Vent Covers and Fantastic Fan

Id like to get a mail holder/ Key rack that matches the decor. I havent found one yet, but I'd like to mount this on the front wall where the mirror is and wire in an extra outlet. This way we can put our phones in there when on charge.

Love the fireplace even though I didnt think I needed it. (Glad its there)
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bka4tcu View Post
Any Crusader 296 bhs owners out there. Considering it as the kids get bigger and the current bunks in our Wildcat are very narrow. I'd love to here about likes/dislikes problems, etc. Any comments on the leveling system? Primetime looks to be a quality manufacturer, thanks for any thoughts and advice.
I have a 296bhs on order. I spent about a year looking into trailers with bunks. There is a real dilemma between mfg build quality, floor plan, and length (many BH are 37' - 40 '). The 298BHS had bunks that were too narrow for my tastes. I liked some floor plans of other mfgs but when I looked at actual units I wasn't happy to see doors not closing, trim falling off, etc -- and these were units sitting on a dealers lot as new.

Last fall I decided to wait until Spring to order something and was happy to see the new 296bhs. It is 35' and has a mfg that I think is trying to build a quality unit and if you read the forums they have a good reputation for warranty coverage. It only has 2 slides, so it is lighter. It has roomy bunks. The entertainment area flows better than the 298. Anyway, I think it is a nice balance of all the conflicting goals I had.

I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, I don't have an ETA yet.
kohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

We have a 2012 bunkhouse model. Not sure the similarity and differences. We have an outdoor kitchen and the bunk above it is plenty wide our 3 year old has too much room. We purchased some side guards for the top bunk. We temporarily pulled out the bottom bunk and a playpen fit there perfectly for the under one year old.

We had to buy a black vent cover so the kids would sleep past 7 in the morning.
robbuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Many thanks for the feedback. I am learning that as this is a new model, there are only a few around, so we will have to wait a few weeks for the dealer to get one to look at, hopefully if everybody likes it, we can get our own soon. Happy Camping!
2013 - 29, 2012 - 29, 2011 - 23, 2010 - 33, 2009 -35, 2008 - 29, 2007 - 31
bka4tcu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader