Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Crusader 260RLD Question

Well finished my second outing with the new Crusader 260RLD and ended up with a major question. Subsequent to making out purchase decision and even at the dealer walk thru when we bought it I asked several times how many tanks does it have. The dealer, rv techs, and walk thru guys stated 2 tanks, 2 pulls concealed in the slam hatch. Well DW mentioned several times that the galley guage was reading full. I told her that we only had 2 tanks so they probably either did not connect it or shorted it so it read full. Well this weekend we are camping, and I was just settled in for my afternoon nap when the noise began. DW was doing up dishes and the sink began to overflow. Water up to the top of both sinks, not draining and she was not happy. And if she is not happy well you know the rest. I get up and start looking under the camper for anything to do with the sink. I grabbed my blue tank and started to drain the grey tank, figuring that would solve the problem. But no.. Finally I end up under the camper under the control panel and look up on the frame under the fender skirt next to the fresh water valve and see a pull handle on the frame. I re-connected the blue tank pulled the valve and the water drained. Now I'm hot under the collar because there must be a 3rd tank. I cannot believe that the sales person, rv techs, or the walk thru guys did not know this. Even after I asked 5-7 times at least.

Hopefully RV guy can answer the question, are there 3 tanks? And what is the size of the galley tank. All the people at the dealership stated I had 1 70 gallon grey tank.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this trivia question!
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of your plight. Our dealer folks had no clue that I had a separate galley tank pull until I told them I found it after doing a recon beneath the trailer. In our case, I found the galley pull handle located above/adjacent to the main sewer hose hookup (aft of the black/gray pulls).
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Sorry to hear of your plight. Our dealer folks had no clue that I had a separate galley tank pull until I told them I found it after doing a recon beneath the trailer. In our case, I found the galley pull handle located above/adjacent to the main sewer hose hookup (aft of the black/gray pulls).
Yup.. exactly where I located mine.. What I cannot understand..Is how the dealer did not know this. Did Forest River change specs in mid year? Or are the dealer and his employees just out of the loop. I went thru all the paper work given to me by the dealer top to bottom and could not find any mention of the 3rd tank. Am hoping RVguy chimes in. I want to "hand it" to the dealer but am waiting to see just where the snafu is/was...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

I don't think the dealer techs are up to speed on the particular specs for each brand they sell. In our case, during the PDI, I knew more about many issues than the tech did. He seemed removed from the moment with his mind elsewhere during the whole process. I subsequently found a good tech who knows his stuff, and we ask for him by name when we take ours in for service/repairs...
'14 nights camped:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

I am sorry you went through this, it definitely stinks and the fault lies squarely with your dealer. They SHOULD know better. Often the techs that do the PDI are the bottom rung and have very little training on the unit in question. There is absolutely no question this sort of fundamental thing should be covered in the PDI. However, no matter how much Prime Time leans on their dealer it is ultimately up to the dealer to choose the tech for the PDI. What's worse they often try and rush through it as many PDI happen in the spring and they are often overbooked.

Sratch gives a great piece of advice, once you find a tech at your dealer you can trust and that seems to know their stuff, ask for them.
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

That's not always great advice. I did that. Tech for my popup was great. I asked for him when I bought my 5er. It wasn't his thing and he did a very poor job on that.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #7

Probably depends on the dealership and the tech's abilities. This fellow really knows his stuff, and on one trip in showed me everthing he had done. He's older than most of the guys in the service department. When he finished, he smiled and asked if I was pleased with his work. That has never happened before. I could tell by his attitude that he was proud of his abilities. We know the dealership CEO pretty well and he always asks for our feedback; good or bad. When we got home, I sent him an email asking him to give Jesse and the shop supervisor a pat on the back.

Monday afternoon, we returned to the dealership for some small details. The foreman and our tech met us at the door and thanked us for the email, then promised to have our unit ready by Friday. In my opinion, it all boils down to how well the dealership is run. In our case, the owner is a hands on guy with high standards. He hires good people, pays them well and takes care of them. If they don't meet his standards, they are not there long.

Lastly, I think the generation gap has a lot to do with the work ethic that comes with younger generations. I'll choose the older fellow without the ear ring almost every time...
'14 nights camped:
Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

All Crusaders have 3 tanks - black, kitchen grey, bath grey. All have a pull handle. They are NOT plumbed together. They are all separate. Sorry for your issue.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
All Crusaders have 3 tanks - black, kitchen grey, bath grey. All have a pull handle. They are NOT plumbed together. They are all separate. Sorry for your issue.

PTM

Thanks RV guy!!! Not a major problem as long as I know Would you know how big the tanks are? Black is 40 gallon.. but it lists the grey as 70 gallon.. I just need to know the breakdown... Crusader is still a great camper in my book... just learning the in and outs
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Commercial Member

All 3 tanks are 35 gallons.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
All 3 tanks are 35 gallons.
THANKS RVguy!!!! Am not sure why the dealer woulod not know this... But am happy and impressed by you being a member of this forum and answering my questions...

Thank you again!

Golf
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
Well finished my second outing with the new Crusader 260RLD and ended up with a major question. Subsequent to making out purchase decision and even at the dealer walk thru when we bought it I asked several times how many tanks does it have. The dealer, rv techs, and walk thru guys stated 2 tanks, 2 pulls concealed in the slam hatch. Well DW mentioned several times that the galley guage was reading full. I told her that we only had 2 tanks so they probably either did not connect it or shorted it so it read full. Well this weekend we are camping, and I was just settled in for my afternoon nap when the noise began. DW was doing up dishes and the sink began to overflow. Water up to the top of both sinks, not draining and she was not happy. And if she is not happy well you know the rest. I get up and start looking under the camper for anything to do with the sink. I grabbed my blue tank and started to drain the grey tank, figuring that would solve the problem. But no.. Finally I end up under the camper under the control panel and look up on the frame under the fender skirt next to the fresh water valve and see a pull handle on the frame. I re-connected the blue tank pulled the valve and the water drained. Now I'm hot under the collar because there must be a 3rd tank. I cannot believe that the sales person, rv techs, or the walk thru guys did not know this. Even after I asked 5-7 times at least.

Hopefully RV guy can answer the question, are there 3 tanks? And what is the size of the galley tank. All the people at the dealership stated I had 1 70 gallon grey tank.

Thanks guys... just ready to head out for our first outing in our new 295RST. Read you post and WOW... I thought I was going crazy. Ours too read 3/4 full in the galley but I had pulled both handles and drained the water out of the tanks. But still showed 3/4 on the galley. I too thought the gauge was bad.. Now I won't have to listen to wifie when the sinks over flow! Again thanks for the info.
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

galley tank

I too was under the impression that my 325RES only had 2 tanks since when i did my PDI I only saw 2 handles one black and one gray. I asked the tech doing the PDI with me I thought this model had a galley tank, he looked under the side where I told him I saw a cut out but no handle. He said nope this one only has 2. My faught for not knowing the unit better. After reading this thread I went down to the shop and looked into the little hole where I thought there was suppose to be a handle, well they put everything except the handle. I'm not driving 15 miles for a handle, but I will be calling. Glad I saw this thread.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:

PTM
RVGuy,

So, for clarification, is it safe to say that ALL PT 5er's have 3 tanks AND 3 pull handles and ALL PT TT's have 3 tanks and only 2 pull handles (with the grey & galley being plumbed together)??

If my question is true, it sure would clear up this issue for ALL PT Crew members.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Somewhat right of center

Quote:

I have the same one. The galley pull is right behind the forward tire driver side. It pulls just enough to the tire then stops. I know, it's tight under there. 70 gal fresh, 35 for the other 3 that are plumbed together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	32004
Crabbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #16

Handle

Same exact thing happened to us, during the winter now less in a state park..the only difference, the gauge was reading empty the whold time we were there, I went outside and removed the cap over the black water connection...we were not hooked up to a site for this a dump free site except for a dump station.... Anyway, removing the cap is when I was greeted with about thirty gallons of gray water, guess where the park ranger was at that time..the handle was missing off the galley dump valve..of course we did not find that out until we returned to our dealership a day later...we had to cut our Christmas Holiday trip short because of this problenm...did I mention it was winter time..when we arrived back in atlanta, we had ice hanging from under the coach..
Replaced the handle at the dealership the next day..almost got me attacked at the dealership...another story..good luck with your 260, we have a 270RET, Limited Production, no made any longer?? wonder why?

Quote:

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #17

Tanks

You do in fact have three tanks, blackwater and two gray waters..One galley and one head gray water and none or interconnected....three handles should be present..on our 270 the handle had been broken off..this was our first outing with our new 270RET...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Same exact thing happened to us, during the winter now less in a state park..the only difference, the gauge was reading empty the whold time we were there, I went outside and removed the cap over the black water connection...we were not hooked up to a site for this a dump free site except for a dump station.... Anyway, removing the cap is when I was greeted with about thirty gallons of gray water, guess where the park ranger was at that time..the handle was missing off the galley dump valve..of course we did not find that out until we returned to our dealership a day later...we had to cut our Christmas Holiday trip short because of this problenm...did I mention it was winter time..when we arrived back in atlanta, we had ice hanging from under the coach..
Replaced the handle at the dealership the next day..almost got me attacked at the dealership...another story..good luck with your 260, we have a 270RET, Limited Production, no made any longer?? wonder why?
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Commercial Member

racer - there are no absolutes with regard to pull handles. Each floorplan is different and can vary.

GENERALLY - our trailers have 2 pull handles and our fifth wheels have 3 pull handles.

PTM
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv guy View Post
racer - there are no absolutes with regard to pull handles. each floorplan is different and can vary.

generally - our trailers have 2 pull handles and our fifth wheels have 3 pull handles.

Ptm
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

Thanks for the Info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post

1985 S-10 One Owner: