Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Agreement was between Forest River and the cap manufacturers. It was for the front cap ONLY and you would have had to start the documentation (with pictures) & paper trail with your dealer or directly with Prime Time within 30 months from the DATE OF MANUFACTURE (which is printed on the sticker on the curb side of your unit.

This was not just an issue with Forest River, it encompassed several other RV companies as well.
Anyone know when the front cap became an issue? Or were their environmental conditions that aggravated the conditions such as desert southwest hot sun, freezing conditions up north, etc? On the 2012 Crusader we have, there is some minor fading to the dark brown front cap but I haven't seen any cracking. Maybe need to look better. Cap is somewhat dulled, one of the purplish decal colors faded but otherwise it appears OK. I haven't done any outside cosmetic work yet since I have concentrated on mechanical stuff, wiring, suspension etc. A good wash and buff is due.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Anyone know when the front cap became an issue? Or were their environmental conditions that aggravated the conditions such as desert southwest hot sun, freezing conditions up north, etc? On the 2012 Crusader we have, there is some minor fading to the dark brown front cap but I haven't seen any cracking. Maybe need to look better. Cap is somewhat dulled, one of the purplish decal colors faded but otherwise it appears OK. I haven't done any outside cosmetic work yet since I have concentrated on mechanical stuff, wiring, suspension etc. A good wash and buff is due.

No specific environmental conditions contributed. It appears that the cap manufacturers tried a process of colored fiberglass/gelcoat as a one step approach to color rather than painting afterward and it couldn't withstand the UV rays. Didn't matter what part of the country the unit was in. If they were stored under cover the fading process took longer. Sounds like yours is "on its' way". I've seen newer units than yours with much worse looking caps that you're describing on yours. The only way to stop it is to get the cap painted. You can get new decals from PT.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #23

I wonder what the general cost would be just to have it painted and clearcoated has anyone had any experience with this ? Mine is starting to fade a bit right now unit was manufactured in 2015 sold as a 2016 and now it’s 2018 so I’m sure we can all do the math I may have to weigh the pros and cons of having it painted in the future .
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #24
Site Team

Wonder if it's possible to Plasti Dip the cap?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #25

I’ve use plasty dip man that will be a lot of dip.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
I’ve use plasty dip man that will be a lot of dip.
Only the faded part, about a foot or 2 down from the top.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 AM   #27

Quote:
No specific environmental conditions contributed. It appears that the cap manufacturers tried a process of colored fiberglass/gelcoat as a one step approach to color rather than painting afterward and it couldn't withstand the UV rays. Didn't matter what part of the country the unit was in. If they were stored under cover the fading process took longer. Sounds like yours is "on its' way". I've seen newer units than yours with much worse looking caps that you're describing on yours. The only way to stop it is to get the cap painted. You can get new decals from PT.
Rick, seems there are 2 issues reported, fading and cracking. Is there a time that can be determined that the cap manufacturers started trying the colored gelcoat and are they still using it? I suppose one way would be if it's not white, it's colored gelcoat unless the trailer has the full body paint. Maybe an over simplification since I suppose they could paint just the caps. I don't really know the history of this 5th wheel since it was a bank repo. According to a sticker on the side, it originally was sold in OK and somehow ended up in AL with the second owner who went bankrupt. Have no idea if it was covered or not but I do know we won't while it's at the FL site.

Cracking; generally speaking where is the cracking occurring? If along the top colored fading surfaces, I would almost suspect that the colored gelcoat absorbed more heat which led to weakening the cap. Pure speculation on my part.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #28

Quote:
. The only way to stop it is to get the cap painted. You can get new decals from PT.
If I go to the expense of painting it's unlikely I will advertise for PT by putting their decals on. If they sent for free maybe. Otherwise use a local place to make up something to break up the large surface area color.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Rick, seems there are 2 issues reported, fading and cracking. Is there a time that can be determined that the cap manufacturers started trying the colored gelcoat and are they still using it? I suppose one way would be if it's not white, it's colored gelcoat unless the trailer has the full body paint. Maybe an over simplification since I suppose they could paint just the caps. I don't really know the history of this 5th wheel since it was a bank repo. According to a sticker on the side, it originally was sold in OK and somehow ended up in AL with the second owner who went bankrupt. Have no idea if it was covered or not but I do know we won't while it's at the FL site.

Cracking; generally speaking where is the cracking occurring? If along the top colored fading surfaces, I would almost suspect that the colored gelcoat absorbed more heat which led to weakening the cap. Pure speculation on my part.

Don't know too much about the cracking. Most issues reported were fade related. Cracks seem to be isolated incidents and seem to be surface cracks in the gelcoat.
The issue really came to light around 2011/12 when the trend was turning more toward the tan/brown colored campers.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Don't know too much about the cracking. Most issues reported were fade related. Cracks seem to be isolated incidents and seem to be surface cracks in the gelcoat.
The issue really came to light around 2011/12 when the trend was turning more toward the tan/brown colored campers.
Reckon I'm doomed then. For the time being, maybe a lot of "time beings" it's fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #31

Have you asked your dealer for help? We also have a 2016 built in 2015. We discovered a bit of fading last summer l and reported it to PT within the warranty period. Took our camper to the dealer for repainting in December; work began in January. Dealer noticed stress cracks around the lights and contracted the manufacturer. Manufacturer agreed to also cover the cost of repairing rhe cracks. Our cost to repair the cracks would have been around $900. Maybe we got lucky, but its always worth asking.
DwarfDogWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #32

Yes , we are working with General RV, the dealer we purchased it from. Got a call from them and they are working on getting us a new cap. cross our fingers it works our.
Riversliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #33

Makes me wonder.

When we were shopping in summer, no dealer had a new Crusader in stock. I asked to be contacted if they had one. Expected any day was the story. Never happened in two months.

We found the Cedar Creek line met our needs the best.

One of the four dealers had one of the other lines. Some toy hauler.

Just weird.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarfDogWalker View Post
Have you asked your dealer for help? We also have a 2016 built in 2015. We discovered a bit of fading last summer l and reported it to PT within the warranty period. Took our camper to the dealer for repainting in December; work began in January. Dealer noticed stress cracks around the lights and contracted the manufacturer. Manufacturer agreed to also cover the cost of repairing rhe cracks. Our cost to repair the cracks would have been around $900. Maybe we got lucky, but its always worth asking.
We just came back from a trip and our front cap is getting worse it's my understanding that front caps have a three-year warranty? Where is this info available? Our unit was built in 08/01/15 so we are under three years. Guess I will call PT on Monday then see what they say.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #35

Its 30 months from manufacture date - this info was from PT awhile ago
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Its 30 months from manufacture date - this info was from PT awhile ago

X2. And only for the original owner. Looks like you missed it by 2 months.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #37

Quote:
X2. And only for the original owner. Looks like you missed it by 2 months.
Yep looks that way kind of crappy buy a 2016 and they go off the manufacture date one more for the RV books of good luck buddy mentality, is what it is I'm afraid. I really like our unit may need to suck it up & have it painted wonder how much that will cost.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Yep looks that way kind of crappy buy a 2016 and they go off the manufacture date one more for the RV books of good luck buddy mentality, is what it is I'm afraid. I really like our unit may need to suck it up & have it painted wonder how much that will cost.

I've heard quotes & guesses here on the forum of $1500 - $2500.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #39

Quote:
I've heard quotes & guesses here on the forum of $1500 - $2500.
Well, I asked this the faded cap question on PT's social media page, actually got a response with call today (they took down my question with image though) Luckily my front cap is under warranty unital 04/09/18 talk about good timing.

However, spent a few hours on the phone today with the dealer list provided by PT, keep getting the same response we cannot or will not work on PT or we aren't doing warranty work at this time.

How is this possible? Dealers just don't want a job this big guess they don't get paid well enough? This is like a wild goose chase trying to find a dealer to do the work. One dealer recommended I pay out of pocket & have PT reimburse me. I asked this question in an email to PT no response as of yet.

Keep in mind this is a hit or miss with any fiberglass cap regardless of manufacture. I am overall still very happy with our Crusader think its a good quality rig for the $$ we paid.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #40
Life-Long Camper/Boater

I too love my Crusader even with a faded front cap. As a matter of fact I just want to advertise for Crusader because I am so pleased with it. Just wish I didn't have to make up an excuse for the first impression which is the front cap. But once they step inside - they forget about the krapy decal on the front.
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, quality