Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Crusader couch Defect?

I have a 2016 Crusader 315 RST. I have had to have the couch cushions repaired already because it seems the brackets on the couch cut into the cushions, it is a week old. This seems to be a manufacturing defect. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what was the fix. Seems to me I should get a new couch by a different maker like the old one by LANE
colo native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

We have a 2016 Crusader 295RST and experienced the same thing. We noticed when we got home the material on the bottom of the cushions were tore a little. The material is thin as paper and would easily get caught on the springs and tear. My DW put shelving material she used to line shelves with to keep stuff from sliding between the cushions and the springs. Works good doing this. We picked up our RV this past June 4th and have been busy camping and no time to deal with the dealership. We have been making a list, which is small, for them to look at and resolve.

Overall I think the couch is fine. We may just take the cushions to someone to replace the thin material on the bottom. The blind in the bedroom on the left won't go up. Not a big deal we have it on our list. Our air conditioner was not keeping up to cool the inside. We thought maybe the air intake vents had plastic over the filters (2). We took down the vents and there was no plastic over the filters but there was sawdust from when the factory cut holes for the vent. We cleaned out the sawdust and the air conditioner seems to be working okay. Kept the inside as cool as 13 degrees from the outside temp.

This is our very first RV and we are enjoying every minute using it.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #3

It is not the cushion it is the brackets for the sofa sleeper that are defective according to the dealer that sold me mine. I haven't had ac problems but I will check mine
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

My DW said the brackets also was the problem. The first time we noticed the tear the material on the ends of the couch, kind of like a flap, we flipped up. That resolved the tearing on the ends. Then the cushions in the back of the couch was tearing due getting caught and that is when my DW put material across the back of the hide-a-bed. That resolved that problem. Maybe we should bring it to our dealer's attention.

Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #5

The brackets are the problem and if I were you I would have the dealer fix it , that is what I am doing they put rags over the brakets as temp fix or have them replace the couch, because I don't think they had this issue when they put Lane furniture in
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

I agree with you. It seems like the furniture is cheaply made. Thanks for the info and we are going to take your advice.

Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
Old 08-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #7

Having the same issue. Going to contact dealer regarding the defect. Also am taking the cushions to a shop here in town for repair with heavier material as well as replacing the foam cushions with firmer foam so you don't sink to the floor. Will also place something over the hinges. The Lane furniture was much better quality.

2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel CC SB, Demco 18K Hijacker Auto Slide, Pace Edwards Electric Tonneau, TST TPMS 507 Standard Sensors, Titan 50 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank

2016 Prime Time Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel, Dometic Slide Toppers
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

Poor design or materials?

Yeah it's an issue. When I bought mine the sales person hinted to lay a beach towel or something under the cushion to avoid this issue. Seems to work so far.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
Yeah it's an issue. When I bought mine the sales person hinted to lay a beach towel or something under the cushion to avoid this issue. Seems to work so far.
That is what my dealer did and I will not put up with that so I keep pushing because that is NOT a fix
Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Too busy camping to go to the dealer but will maybe next month. If dealer tells me the same thing I will ask if they have a hide-a-bed couch and if that is what they do. I bet the answer is no and they wouldn't put something under the cushion. We shouldn't have to either.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
Old 12-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #11

UPDATE

I took mine in for the couch and the dealer said there is a fabric flap that is suppose to be folded over the brackets so before you put the bed back you have to make sure of that, I say BS they are junk couches.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

We are also having problems with the theater seat. For over 9 months we have been trying go get a pull handle replaced so the recliner will work. They have sent 5 and still not the right one, we have never had use of the recliner in 9 months. Anyone have any luck getting furniture replaced?
Kshryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #13

Our hide a bed sofa cushions are tearing in the corners. According to the dealer rep who is doing the warranty repair the fix will be new cushions from Prime Time and .75 of an hour time to grind down parts of the frame that are contacting the underside of the cushions. Seems to be pretty unique method. Obviously trying to avoid replacing sofa. Many fixes have been done on our 294 RLT. Some done twice as the selling dealers crew did not do such a good job of repairing , what I assume was shipping or lot handling damages. I purchased in Utah, but a local Idaho dealer is doing warranty work. Some to fix the Utah fix.
xcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

We are watching ours closely. It has not had much use yet because of season but once we are out it is on the list of things to check. So far only 2 repairs on our list. 1 small and 1 a little larger. Small one which I might just fix is a piece of ceiling molding is loose in one spot. The other larger fix is our slam latch door works fine but if you get down to eye level you can see right inside the basement. Does not seem very waterproof. I need to see when the dealer can get us in. Good luck with your fixes!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #15

Received our brand new 2016 prime time crusader 296bhs and one of the cushions is tearing in the corner from hitting the metal tab. Keep in mind this is a brand new unit. My go to the fabric store and purchase a piece of foam putting it under the cushions. Side note the mattress is super thin can’t even imagine sleeping on it.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #16

They are junk the dealer fixed my cushion but the bracket is the problem there is a flap of fabric that is suppose to cover it but don't really work. The mattress is junk which just fits the cheap furniture
Old 05-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo native View Post
They are junk the dealer fixed my cushion but the bracket is the problem there is a flap of fabric that is suppose to cover it but don't really work. The mattress is junk which just fits the cheap furniture
Yea the mattress is a joke not usable at all may just toss it and look for one that will fit. The couch looks nice but the foam cushions really have allot of give I may try to fix it by adding new foam and a new mattress if not I need to start measuring and find something that will work. May head to iKEA and see what they have.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #18

The bed frame is defective and rips the cushions. Supposedly our dealer contacted the manufacturer to see what they would do about the couch. That was last October and no update.

We place a non slip shelving material along the back of the frame to prevent anymore tearing. Planning on replacing the foam in the cushions to make a little firmer.

We replaced the POS mattress with a 4.5 inch foam mattress. 2.5 inch firm and 2 inch memory foam. By adding the foam mattress you don't feel like your are going to sink all the way to the floor.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 381HP 4.10 gears 6 speed automatic

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
The bed frame is defective and rips the cushions. Supposedly our dealer contacted the manufacturer to see what they would do about the couch. That was last October and no update.

We place a non slip shelving material along the back of the frame to prevent anymore tearing. Planning on replacing the foam in the cushions to make a little firmer.

We replaced the POS mattress with a 4.5 inch foam mattress. 2.5 inch firm and 2 inch memory foam. By adding the foam mattress you don't feel like your are going to sink all the way to the floor.

Duane

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
Do you recall the size or were you got the mattress replacement?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #20

Yea we got it from Wayfarer(?) that was supposedly for an RV couch. We did have to trim it some to fit the bed frame. My DW thought it would be too thick and separated firm and memory foam. We ended having to trim both layers instead of the entire mattress. The 4.5 inch mattress folds in hide-a-bed with no problem.

Duane

2016 Crusader 295RST FW

Tags
crusader