RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Reply from Maxxis super fast by the way!

The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

I think 65MPH is just fine 70MPH is as fast as I will go with a 5th wheel I have no desire to go over 70MPH to be honest my kids & wife are in the truck no need to go nuts with the speed.
Yup. Its also important to know that the engineering formula for tire loads on ST type tires is based on 65 mph max speed.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Since you switched from ST type tires to LT type tires please get the RV weighed to be sure you are not overloading the tires. You should always run the inflation molded on the tires when in trailer application to lower the Interply Shear forces.
Camper only weighs 10.8k
Old 01-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #63

Just wanted to report back new tires were installed today couldn’t be happier. Towmax VS Maxxie’s side by side theirs big difference in the side wall construction. Towmax are like wavy gravy just push right it not the case with the Maxxie’s much more robust & frim it's quite noticeable.

Installed the Maxxie’s seem to make the 5er bounce less it’s a smooth tow. Also, the squat on the tires is also notability less as well.

Tire shop did not want to install them this morning but we figured it out (I helped out) younger tire installers get freaked out (it's an RV!) if things are not in their comfort zone and are all too quick to say “No” is what it is.

New plastic center caps purchased are not as tight spin by hand a bit may need to put the stock metal ones back on not sure yet. You can see the caps in the photo one with the black center cap is the newer one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5668.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	128537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5670.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	128538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5678.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	128539  
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Just wanted to report back new tires were installed today couldn’t be happier. Towmax VS Maxxie’s side by side theirs big difference in the side wall construction. Towmax are like wavy gravy just push right it not the case with the Maxxie’s much more robust & frim it's quite noticeable.

Installed the Maxxie’s seem to make the 5er bounce less it’s a smooth tow. Also, the squat on the tires is also notability less as well.

Tire shop did not want to install them this morning but we figured it out (I helped out) younger tire installers get freaked out (it's an RV!) if things are not in their comfort zone and are all too quick to say “No” is what it is.

New plastic center caps purchased are not as tight spin by hand a bit may need to put the stock metal ones back on not sure yet. You can see the caps in the photo one with the black center cap is the newer one.
Were they saying "NO" because the Towmax are rated at 3520# and the Maxxis are rated 100# less at 3420#?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Were they saying "NO" because the Towmax are rated at 3520# and the Maxxis are rated 100# less at 3420#?
No the young tire installer never worked on an RV he just freaked out because of how large the 5er was. Guess being an RV'er I don't consider my rig at 34.5FT that large.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #66

Quote:
I understand that seems to be the policy of many, if not all, tire dealers to not install tires with less weight rating than the tires coming off. But lets say the previous owner decided he wanted G rated tires as an upgrade when he bought new tires over the E rated tires that came OEM. I would be stuck with buying G rated tires even though E rated tires would suffice.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiotom View Post
I understand that seems to be the policy of many, if not all, tire dealers to not install tires with less weight rating than the tires coming off. But lets say the previous owner decided he wanted G rated tires as an upgrade when he bought new tires over the E rated tires that came OEM. I would be stuck with buying G rated tires even though E rated tires would suffice.
The tire size on the certification label is always the correct size. Because someone upgraded or downgraded does not change that fact.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #68
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
The tire size on the certification label is always the correct size. Because someone upgraded or downgraded does not change that fact.
Well,,sorta. I don't think it's required to have the placarded size but you cannot go to a tire less than the placard spec. BUT, putting a larger size tire with more capacity will not allow you to use a higher trailer max gross weight than what's specified on the placard.

It's very possible that the max axle weight rating is placarded for the max combined weight of the two tires on that axle even though the axle has a higher weight rating. So, if you put on a higher weighted tire you are still restricted to the max axle weight placarded (even though in reality your max axle weight is the lower of the placarded axle limit or the combined load limit of the tires).

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #69
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Well,,sorta. I don't think it's required to have the placarded size but you cannot go to a tire less than the placard spec. BUT, putting a larger size tire with more capacity will not allow you to use a higher trailer max gross weight than what's specified on the placard.

It's very possible that the max axle weight rating is placarded for the max combined weight of the two tires on that axle even though the axle has a higher weight rating. So, if you put on a higher weighted tire you are still restricted to the max axle weight placarded (even though in reality your max axle weight is the lower of the placarded axle limit or the combined load limit of the tires).

Correct

You are ALWAYS limited to

1. Actual load should never exceed capacity of tires ( better for tire life if you have a 15% cushion
2. No axle should ever exceed it's individual GAWR
3. The RV should never exceed GVWR NOTE GVWR is not always the sum of the GAWR of the axles as there is hitch weight to consider.
4. Knowing the actual load on the tires. One end is almost always heavier than the other. Unless you get actual weight I suggest assuming one end is 52 or 53% of total on that axle
Know that even with 2 axles the total of 2 axles is almost always never split 50/50 You need to figure some inbalance between axles until you learn the actual load on each axle.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #70

New Crusader 294RLT - Need Tire Advice

We'll be bringing this new RV home this Monday.. 1st thing on the list is to get 5 better tires.
Everyone is mentioning Carlise, Maxxiss, Bridgestone, Goodyear Marathons or G614 tires on different websites including this forum.
Most of the time they do not mention their tire numbers and that is what I am looking for.. I would like to get a tire rating higher than E.
Anyone has a Brand name tire size higher than E, if so, inform me so I can look at the specs for those tires?
I see that Goodyear G614 has a "G" rating but the tire numbers was slightly different (aspect ratio). The G614 were 235/85R -16 G versus the originals that are on now 235/80R - 16 E. Would this slightly larger tire fit these Crusaders?
Any advice or statements from owners who have changed tires would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Byron
byoslandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoslandry View Post
We'll be bringing this new RV home this Monday.. 1st thing on the list is to get 5 better tires.
Everyone is mentioning Carlise, Maxxiss, Bridgestone, Goodyear Marathons or G614 tires on different websites including this forum.
Most of the time they do not mention their tire numbers and that is what I am looking for.. I would like to get a tire rating higher than E.
Anyone has a Brand name tire size higher than E, if so, inform me so I can look at the specs for those tires?
I see that Goodyear G614 has a "G" rating but the tire numbers was slightly different (aspect ratio). The G614 were 235/85R -16 G versus the originals that are on now 235/80R - 16 E. Would this slightly larger tire fit these Crusaders?
Any advice or statements from owners who have changed tires would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Byron
If going to G make sure your wheels will hold 110#over 80#. I put Carlisle 235/80/R16 LRE on my last 2 5ers and will on the next one too. Carlisle makes a LRF but requires 95#.They are a little less than 1" taller which would require 2" ++ between current tires. I contacted my wheel builder and would only email not to consider 110# unless replacing wheels as well. I bought 5 Carlisle for just under $100 each (mounted, balanced, installed) and he bought the OEM Trailer Kings which lowered the cost even more.
My dealer said Carlisle or Maxxis. Carlisle is much easier to find nationwide. He also said Carlisle does not need to advertise much. Some additional info provided:
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #72

Quote:
Sincerely
Byron

I went with the G614's on our Sanibel. I believe the axle spacing on Crusaders is the same so, you should not have an issue switching to the G rated G614's.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Sincerely
Byron
Changing tire design/size on a new trailer may cause the trailer's manufacturer to void sections or all of the trailer warranty coverage. You should check with them before doing the change and get their answer on an email or other written document.

IMO, changing the tires from the polyester cased ST235/80R16E tires to polyester cased ST235/80R16G would not constitute a size change. The steel cased ST235/80R16G may even be approved by the trailer's manufacturer.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #74

Depends on your wallet
1- Goodyear G614
2- Sailun S637
3- Any other brand
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #75

I initially wanted the Sailun S637 (best tire for the money hands down), however, I cannot run them up to 110PSI as needed, my rims are only rated for 80PSI per Prime Time. Not looking to spend $$ on new wheels & tires need to keep things balanced we don't full time.

I selected two tire brands for our needs Carlisle or Maxxis, going with the Maxxis due to their overall better rating, friends, and fellow campers experience. I thought the Goodyear marathon would have been a superior tire but they have dismal ratings, one I purchased from Camping world is now installed as a spare.

Best part all the Tow Max tires are off my rig and that makes me a happy camper!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Changing tire design/size on a new trailer may cause the trailer's manufacturer to void sections or all of the trailer warranty coverage. You should check with them before doing the change and get their answer on an email or other written document.

IMO, changing the tires from the polyester cased ST235/80R16E tires to polyester cased ST235/80R16G would not constitute a size change. The steel cased ST235/80R16G may even be approved by the trailer's manufacturer.
For the manufacture to void any of the warranty coverage because of a change to or addition of aftermarket accessories to the warranted product, they have to prove any failure was a direct result of the change or addition, as per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #77

I had a second Towmax blow-out on the trip home Tuesday. Made no noise, didn't know it till a trucker pulled alongside and blew his horn. Not much left of the tire. Minimal damage to the RV. Treadit says they will give me $104.00 after I send them copy of invoice for purchase of replacement. I'm not buying another Towmax. Tire dealer has Goodyear G614's on the way for install next week.
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Sincerely
Byron
Did they change to 16" tires? Other listings show 15" tires.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #79

I've been reading a lot about tire failures since we purchased our Crusader 297RST last year. I'm not really sure how comfortable I am going to an LT style tire. I've been looking on and off for a while and think I have atleast for now narrowed my focus to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire in a 235/80R16.
If I'm reading the manufacture information correctly these tires are rated for 75mph
which is something else I am looking for. I found the manufacture data here
Carlisle Brand | Radial Trail HD Tire Information
These tire also appear to Load Rage E as are my OEM Power King Towmax Tires.
I'm hoping to get the forum's thoughts on these tires.
Thanks
Michael
mrdegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdegold View Post
I've been reading a lot about tire failures since we purchased our Crusader 297RST last year. I'm not really sure how comfortable I am going to an LT style tire. I've been looking on and off for a while and think I have atleast for now narrowed my focus to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire in a 235/80R16.
If I'm reading the manufacture information correctly these tires are rated for 75mph
which is something else I am looking for. I found the manufacture data here
Carlisle Brand | Radial Trail HD Tire Information
These tire also appear to Load Rage E as are my OEM Power King Towmax Tires.
I'm hoping to get the forum's thoughts on these tires.
Thanks
Michael
I think they are fine. Had the Carlisle RH for many miles with no problems. The HD are said to be improved. Carlisle on the last 5er, this one, and the next I feel certain. A 'tire engineer' (never knew there was such a specialty) in Akron Oh suggested Carlisle. Also ~~~~
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, crusader