Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #121

I had the same issue this past weekend on my Crusader. Caused some pretty good damage. Tire seperated with belts showing. 2015 with under 5k on them. Always checked pressure. They are history.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #122
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I don't mind you retiring Sir...I certainly would if I could, but you HAVE to keep us "in" on the tire world.

Tire-jockey. Ha ha
Thanks. That's why I started the RV tire blog.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks. That's why I started the RV tire blog.

That'l work Sir.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #124

Hi, I didn't read all 13 pages of this post, but I was wondering. The ones that had tire problems, how fast do they normally travel? These tires are not rated for high speeds. Most of these tires are only rated for 65mph.
daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #125

I travel beteeen 60 to 65 MPH always. I was in a construction zone doing 60 when mine blew out. But more importantly all tires had thin steel strands that were starting to come out. I will have to pay more attention to tires other than just making sure they are aired up properly. My TV has 259k miles on it so I always drive slow with it.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #126

That is what I run also. Never had an issue yet.
daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #127
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Speed

Most of the posters as you read back, as well as myself, always 60, rarely up to 65 downhill. That said, there are tires out there on the road that belong in a masoleum before they put someone in the morgue!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
Hi, I didn't read all 13 pages of this post, but I was wondering. The ones that had tire problems, how fast do they normally travel? These tires are not rated for high speeds. Most of these tires are only rated for 65mph.
If you read the forums for awhile you'll see a trend of which tires fail more frequently than others. The China Bombs have a very bad reputation.

Given that Prime Time Crusaders are not designed to protect the RV in the case of a tire failure, the damage can cost thousands to get repaired. It actually ends up cheaper to replace the China Bombs BEFORE they blow than to wait and repair the trailer after a blow out (at which time you decide to replace the tires anyway with a more reliable brand so you end up with the same tire cost plus a repair cost).
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #129

I'll be honest don't think speed has anything to do with Tow Max are just 100% garbage tires. Knowing what I know now I would have never left the dealer lot without negotiating replacements.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #130

Speed was under 65 the first time, under 60 after the first blow out

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #131
Who Dares, Wins

My tow max tires had over 16k miles on them with out issue. Replaced due to the age. I do believe that the tires can be suspect but I am not convinced the user is not also a contributer to the failures. Not all any more, but many had been rated to 65 maximum. Imo not rated for that speed all the time while possibly overloaded or the load not equally distributed over the tires.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My tow max tires had over 16k miles on them with out issue. Replaced due to the age. I do believe that the tires can be suspect but I am not convinced the user is not also a contributer to the failures. Not all any more, but many had been rated to 65 maximum. Imo not rated for that speed all the time while possibly overloaded or the load not equally distributed over the tires.
I ran a set of Trailer King about 5K miles on my last 5er until I returned home to my tire dealer. I put Carlisle on them then and had 42 miles on the ones sold to the tire dealer when I put Carlisle on the current 5er.
I agree often the user is a contributor. I also believe the factory just puts them on and sends them with the transporter under inflated at high speeds to begin their life at a disadvantage. My load range E arrived at the dealer with 66 - 70 psi instead of 80. Over 1000 miles under inflated and at high speed caused me to have no confidence in them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
If you were able to get 16,000 miles out of the tires without incident I would consider you to be a very lucky individual. There are obviously more than just our complaints regarding these tires apparently, there is even litigation pending regarding these tires. Tires with less than 5000 miles of usage shouldn’t shred apart like confetti fundamentally there is something wrong with these tires. I for one am relieved all tires have been replaced with higher-quality replacements. Currently, I’m looking at tire pressure monitoring systems haven’t been able to narrow it down yet I think this is also a good addition while taking long trips, along with good tire maintenance and not exceeding the maximum speed rating.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #134
Who Dares, Wins

Maybe so, had china bombs on my pup and previous TT. Never any issues. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #135
Commercial Member

There are many conditions that can affect tire durability. tire age, inflation actual load, travel speed for delivery RV company to dealer and your travel speed, ambient temperature where you drive and where you camp.
Unless two RVs have identical use in each category you will probably get different results.

Structural damage is cumulative and once damage (microscopic cracks start they do not fix themselves. They just get worse so doing proper inflation after you ran when low on air does not repair the damage you did.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 AM   #136

Angry In the club

Add me to the Towmax blow out club. Left rear center tread went its happy way exposing the poor seam where the manufacture joined the halves together. 8000 miles and on a trip to FL from IL. Was able to put the spare on and get to the site, but now I am researching tire brands instead of relaxing.
I (so far) seem lucky that it didn't take out the fender and other stuff, but considering the tire showed no sign of issue when I inspected before the trip, I am not happy.

So Carlisle P235/80R16 seem to be what most everyone is using? Or splurge for the Goodyear G's?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #137

If your wheels can handle 110 psi Sailun LR G has a better rep than GY. If not, Carlisle. I've run Carlisle as my wheels are rated to 80 psi.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #138
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
Add me to the Towmax blow out club. Left rear center tread went its happy way exposing the poor seam where the manufacture joined the halves together. 8000 miles and on a trip to FL from IL. Was able to put the spare on and get to the site, but now I am researching tire brands instead of relaxing.
I (so far) seem lucky that it didn't take out the fender and other stuff, but considering the tire showed no sign of issue when I inspected before the trip, I am not happy.

So Carlisle P235/80R16 seem to be what most everyone is using? Or splurge for the Goodyear G's?
Sounds like you had Belt/tread separation and not a run low flex sidewall blowout. Two completely different conditions with two different causes.

Run Low flex is caused by a loss of air pressure (usually more than 50% loss). The driver can get a warning on this with a TPMS

Belt separations develop from long term high heat due to load, speed and inflation factors. This condition can usually be discovered with close visual examination and "Free Spin Inspection" as covered in RV tire blogs.

Belt separations should always be reported to NHTSA using their complaint form found at Safecar.gov

Unless your ST type tires have a Service Description the MAX speed they should ever be driven is 65 mph.
Multi-axle trailer tires also have an issue called "Interply Shear" that tryes to tear the belt off the body.

RE your observation " poor seam where the manufacture joined the halves together"
Sorry tires are not manufactured in that manner so there are not two halves that are joined together. Again there is information on tire production on RV tire blogs
Old 06-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #139

Well after lots of internet research, I applied some practical thought and went with 4 Cooper Tires. I chose the Discoverer HT3 series in LT235/85/16 (Load range E).
Have about 1200 miles on them now, and best choice I ever made.
No more worrying about 65MPH max speed as these are rated to 106MPH.
No more worrying about tires blowing out at any time. After all, these are HD truck tires...
No more sway when a semi passes opposite direction from you on a 2 way road. They stay planted.
Excellent tracking and feel in rain storms. (Drove through a few good ones), and these are all season M&S rated.
Bumps and potholes are hardly felt now. Again, these track really well and smooth.

And who exactly said these would have softer sidewalls and sway more??? Did they actually road test this, or is this theory??
These tires use to come on HD pickup trucks, and the owners would do burnouts, donuts, overload them while they are at low pressure, drive across fields, snow, slush ice, hot pavement, tow very heavy things like RV's, and they do just fine. But yet if I put them under my fifth wheel they would perform less than a "ST" tire? Really. Well since my ST tires made 8800 miles before exploding, I will never again use them for anything.

Do yourselves a favor, swap out for LT tires ASAP, save your family, save potential damage to your RV, save your vacation.
And yes, I stand by that Power King joined two halves together, based on the pic's I have. There is a visible center seam with what looks like stitches under where the center thread use to be. Would love to post pic's, but can't seem to figure out here.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #140

Crusader tire blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
Well after lots of internet research, I applied some practical thought and went with 4 Cooper Tires. I chose the Discoverer HT3 series in LT235/85/16 (Load range E).
Have about 1200 miles on them now, and best choice I ever made.
No more worrying about 65MPH max speed as these are rated to 106MPH.
No more worrying about tires blowing out at any time. After all, these are HD truck tires...
No more sway when a semi passes opposite direction from you on a 2 way road. They stay planted.
Excellent tracking and feel in rain storms. (Drove through a few good ones), and these are all season M&S rated.
Bumps and potholes are hardly felt now. Again, these track really well and smooth.

And who exactly said these would have softer sidewalls and sway more??? Did they actually road test this, or is this theory??
These tires use to come on HD pickup trucks, and the owners would do burnouts, donuts, overload them while they are at low pressure, drive across fields, snow, slush ice, hot pavement, tow very heavy things like RV's, and they do just fine. But yet if I put them under my fifth wheel they would perform less than a "ST" tire? Really. Well since my ST tires made 8800 miles before exploding, I will never again use them for anything.

Do yourselves a favor, swap out for LT tires ASAP, save your family, save potential damage to your RV, save your vacation.
And yes, I stand by that Power King joined two halves together, based on the pic's I have. There is a visible center seam with what looks like stitches under where the center thread use to be. Would love to post pic's, but can't seem to figure out here.

Your experiencing what every person that has converted to LTs experiences. Those that stand by STs are just buying into their hype.

Anyone that has decent LTs on their trailer notices an improvement right away.

No more blowout worries...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, crusader