Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #181

I find it interesting that people can make dealing with quality issues sound like a fun way to spend their time and completely normal way to buy things as a consumer. It may be normal in the RV industry but the RV industry is dysfunctional.

I highly recommend the 8 part series about the RV industry on RV Daily Report.

RV Industry Death Spiral
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #182

Nothing fun about getting problems fixed. The hard truth is you have 1 year of warranty on many units to get them fixed and finished to the point of being reliable after that. If you don't make the effort to inspect and get these repairs done you are looking at huge out of pocket costs. There is always push back from dealers who don't want to do the work because of very low warranty rates from manufacturers. They will go as far as telling you an issue is not covered when it is. You take on rving as a hobby and the first 1-2 years you can consider getting the trailer up to snuff as part of that hobby. There is also work to do as far as caulking, washing, waxing, tire checks etc to protect the investment from being worth zero in a couple years.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
that is a common problem if you leave your RV out in the sun all of the time. Mine is inside except when camping

These gelcoat failures happen to indoor stored units as well. The correct fix is paint and clear coat. Problem solved.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 09-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #184

Nose cap discoloration is a warranty issue

My 2014 Spartan 1032 did the very same thing. I will have a brand new nose cap when I pick up my coach from the dealer today. Forest River/Prime Time is aware of the problem. It is a paint pigment failure which cannot be polished out. My nose cap is being replaced with a brand new one...with a improved paint formulation...free and under warranty.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #185

Discoloration Nosecap

Hello

what I found out about the age of my fifth wheel by its history is that my trailer was built on special order and the customer did not pick it up from the factory so this unit was built the latter part of 2011 and before 03/05/2012. On 3/5/2012 according to the certificate of origin for a vehicle it was transported to the lot of Hamilton RV outlet Inc. in Clio, Michigan where it sat for fifteen months before it was traded for another trailer at the dealership where we purchased the trailer. This trailer was over one year old by the time we purchased it. I asked Forest River to confirm the year of my trailer and Jeff Hood on two separate emails confirmed my trailer was a 2012, but on the document of Certificate of origin for a vehicle it was voted by the VIN number and the year that it was a 2013. I was also told by a dealership in Georgia I had a 2012 trailer. I found an article from an attorneys website that advised manufacturers and it said that in 1970 there was a practice that was suppose to have stopped which was called Deceptive Practice where manufacturers changed the model year on vehicles unsold at the end of the year. Model years were being reassigned this is a deceptive and a violation of the Federal Regulations. If this is still being done then there will be a hefty fine by the Federal Trade Commission. By a manufacturer changing the year it means that they can ask more for the trailer. This pays more to them and the customer looses because in reality due to the depreciation we already lost a lot of money due to an older model. I know that the chassis can be two years old, but I do not know if a completed trailer can have a latter year. If anyone has an answer I would love to hear it . I have no Idea why Jeff Hood at Forest River would tell me a different model year than what is noted on my Certificate of Origin of vehicle.

Marilyn
mdborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #186

discoloration on nose cap

Hello

I just posted another thread about the age of my fifth wheel. On the email from Jeff Hood at Forest River he stated that ( Our model years works like cars model year. Our model year and the actual calendar year are different Your unit is a 2012.) He would not give we the exact date my trailer was manufactured.

Marilyn
mdborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
My 2014 Spartan 1032 did the very same thing. I will have a brand new nose cap when I pick up my coach from the dealer today. Forest River/Prime Time is aware of the problem. It is a paint pigment failure which cannot be polished out. My nose cap is being replaced with a brand new one...with a improved paint formulation...free and under warranty.
There is no paint on your cap. It uses a colored fiberglass gel coat much like what is used on boats. This is and has been a common problem for all manufacturers since the gray and tan/brown caps became popular. Supposedly there is a "new" formula gel coat being used that isn't supposed to fade. The jury is still out on this. I had the same problem on both caps on my 2011 SOB that I just traded. The only real cure I found was to have them painted with automotive base/clear coat finish. My was holding up very well after doing this.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdborne View Post
Hello

what I found out about the age of my fifth wheel by its history is that my trailer was built on special order and the customer did not pick it up from the factory so this unit was built the latter part of 2011 and before 03/05/2012. On 3/5/2012 according to the certificate of origin for a vehicle it was transported to the lot of Hamilton RV outlet Inc. in Clio, Michigan where it sat for fifteen months before it was traded for another trailer at the dealership where we purchased the trailer. This trailer was over one year old by the time we purchased it. I asked Forest River to confirm the year of my trailer and Jeff Hood on two separate emails confirmed my trailer was a 2012, but on the document of Certificate of origin for a vehicle it was voted by the VIN number and the year that it was a 2013. I was also told by a dealership in Georgia I had a 2012 trailer. I found an article from an attorneys website that advised manufacturers and it said that in 1970 there was a practice that was suppose to have stopped which was called Deceptive Practice where manufacturers changed the model year on vehicles unsold at the end of the year. Model years were being reassigned this is a deceptive and a violation of the Federal Regulations. If this is still being done then there will be a hefty fine by the Federal Trade Commission. By a manufacturer changing the year it means that they can ask more for the trailer. This pays more to them and the customer looses because in reality due to the depreciation we already lost a lot of money due to an older model. I know that the chassis can be two years old, but I do not know if a completed trailer can have a latter year. If anyone has an answer I would love to hear it . I have no Idea why Jeff Hood at Forest River would tell me a different model year than what is noted on my Certificate of Origin of vehicle.

Marilyn
Quote:
Hello

I just posted another thread about the age of my fifth wheel. On the email from Jeff Hood at Forest River he stated that ( Our model years works like cars model year. Our model year and the actual calendar year are different Your unit is a 2012.) He would not give we the exact date my trailer was manufactured.

Marilyn

Google search "trailer VIN decoder". You will find several links to decode the meaning of each digit in the manufacturers VIN.....including the year, usually the 10th digit (ie; 2010 "A", 2011 "B", 2012 "C"). However, one site I saw, stated that manufacturers can use that designation for the actual year of manufacture, the actual "model" year or any other "yearly" purpose (unlike auto manufacturers where the 10th digit definitely identifies the "model year" only).

One almost sure way you can tell is; on the inside of your storage bay doors is a tag with a date that the door was made. My Sanibels' doors have tags dated Oct. 2013. We ordered the unit in late September so, this would hold true that it is a 2014 model year as we were told (and titled) it would be.

If the door tags are dated say.....between September 2011 and March 2012, I'd say it's a 2012.

Are you confused enough now?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #189

Don't know what any of this has to do with a fading cap. Your warranty starts when the first registered owner purchases the RV. It runs for one year from that date. Doesn't matter when it was built...Am I missing something here??
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
X2
X's 3 you need to contact the division that built your trailer if you want anything done. as far as the other question about maunfactors date's On your sticker it would have the date it rolled off the line. On my sticker it says 12/28/11 I bought the trailer in feb. 2012 and it was titled to me as a 2012 model. But it was built in 2011... Ps: I don't remember where I got this from with my mind I'm lucky to remember yesterday, but they change model years in about the middle of a calendar year.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #191

mdborne.......

I can understand your frustration and disappointment concerning the discoloration on your trailer's nose cap.....but......you own a Blue Ridge and you're posting in the Prime Time section.

From what I am reading, Prime Time seems to be taking care of their customers concerning this issue. So you're probably not going to find much interest in any legal action on this thread. You would probably have better luck posting in the Blue Ridge section.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #192
Site Team

Moderators Note:

Discussions of current or impending legal action are not allowed on the forum. As a result the site team has done a clean up of this thread. Please continue to post helpful suggestions but refrain from discussions on legal action. Note that some posts were deleted as they no longer made sense once the quoted post was deleted.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #193

Quote:
Hello

Marilyn
Check the stickers on your camper usually located towards the front on the driver's side. I believe the date on the sticker is the official manufactured date.
Note the date on mine....6/17/2016. I purchased the trailer on 8/12/2016 and it is titled as a 2017 model.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Moderators Note:

Discussions of current or impending legal action are not allowed on the forum. As a result the site team has done a clean up of this thread. Please continue to post helpful suggestions but refrain from discussions on legal action. Note that some posts were deleted as they no longer made sense once the quoted post was deleted.
I respect FR's right to regulate their own forums. It may be more fruitful to have all faded cap discussions on another website.

Faded cap thread on another website
Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #195
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
I respect FR's right to regulate their own forums. It may be more fruitful to have all faded cap discussions on another website.
Forest River has no affiliation with this forum. This is just a "fan forum" of owners.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #196
Site Team

Forest River Forums is not owned nor controlled by Forest River Inc. There is a BIG disclaimer concerning this at the bottom of EVERY page here when using the full web version of the site.

Please read this thread link below, as well as our site guidelines and refrain from hijacking this thread any more with legal talk.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post665355

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote