Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 AM   #1

factory propane tank installation

EVERYONE,
If you own an Avenger travel trailer,
please take your propane tanks completely off, and inspect the plate underneath
I have owned my Avenger ATI 27RKS for 5 months, and was checking my tanks to see how full they were.
After removing the tanks, I noticed two broken off screw heads from under the drivers side tank, and one missing screw head from the passenger side .
Avengers way of holding down 2 full propane tanks is with FOUR 5/16 x 3/4" self tapping screws
I am attaching a picture of what I found.
called my dealer, and found out this is the factory way of attaching the propane plate.
warranty work per manufacturer is to just install new self tapping screws.

If the propane tanks would have fallen off going down the road and caused an accident or killed someone, per my local law enforcement, I would be the one liable for what ever would have happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00290-a.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	483.9 KB
ID:	155774  
tohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Why not mfg your own attachment that uses the center rod under the plate and catches both frame rails under the rail
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #3

went to tractor supply and got 2 square 3/16 x 3" x 7" ubolts, drill holes for the ubolts in the plate, installed ubolts on each side of the tongue, from the bottom up (nuts are under the tanks). I cleaned up the plate and sprayed it with truck bed spray, installed u-shaped rubber gasket, on the bottom of the propane tanks, so not to have metal to metal rubbing against the tank and the plate.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohara View Post
went to tractor supply and got 2 square 3/16 x 3" x 7" ubolts, drill holes for the ubolts in the plate, installed ubolts on each side of the tongue, from the bottom up (nuts are under the tanks). I cleaned up the plate and sprayed it with truck bed spray, installed u-shaped rubber gasket, on the bottom of the propane tanks, so not to have metal to metal rubbing against the tank and the plate.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #5

propane tank plate re-enforcement project

here's the finished product, on my propane tank plate re-enforcement project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171105_14_44_01_Pro.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	155956  
Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:

Nice job!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Doulble Post!

Quote:
Since you posted the Same Post in 2 different locations,Please return to the first one with your "Final Solution" to tell all who gave suggestions to That Post! Youroo!!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
EVERYONE,
I have owned my Avenger ATI 27RKS for 5 months, and was checking my tanks to see how full they were.
After removing the tanks, I noticed two broken off screw heads from under the drivers side tank, and one missing screw head from the passenger side .
Avengers way of holding down 2 full propane tanks is with FOUR 5/16 x 3/4" self tapping screws
called my dealer, and found out this is the factory way of attaching the propane plate.

If the propane tanks would have fallen off going down the road and caused an accident or killed someone, per my local law enforcement, I would be the one liable for what ever would have happened.
I had discovered a similar issue, with my 2015 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD. I wasn't near as crafty as you. I just added more of the self tapper screws and that was over 3 years ago. Although the bolts are still holding well, I'll be using your method in the Spring! Thanks for the good info. Happy Camping!
HemiCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Tohara, Thanks for posting this. It's something everyone with a TT or TH should look at.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
EVERYONE,

I had discovered a similar issue, with my 2015 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD. I wasn't near as crafty as you. I just added more of the self tapper screws and that was over 3 years ago. Although the bolts are still holding well, I'll be using your method in the Spring! Thanks for the good info. Happy Camping!
HemiCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #11

I had the same situation on my Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS. I did about the same thing as mentioned above. Took it all apart and sanded some rust from it. Then got bolts and nuts to attach late. Sprayed with thick undercoat and it is now sturdy as can be with no rust. That really is an accident waiting to happen from the factory.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

tohara, thanks for the heads up and the photos. Ours were good when we bought it used in the spring of 2016. However, I plan to swap the position of the battery and propane tanks in the spring so I'll have another look then.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

For what it is worth I would not put too much trust in those u bolts. The spare is held to the bumper with U-bolts on my Crusader 290. So is the grill holder.

Both U bolts holding the spare broke on my unit. The only good thing is they broke at different times. Twice after trips I found my spare held by 1 U bolt.

I had to steal the u bolts that hold the Grill to the back bumper to keep the spare on. Interestingly enough, those two U bolts have yet to break.

I still worry about them though. Bad batch used for the spare, perhaps. Can you imagine your spare bouncing down the road traveling at 60 mph. I know thousands of spares are mounted the same way on campers and fifth wheels and it seems to work fine. I am just putting it out there that it didn't for me.
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

I would not be concerned about the U-bolts myself. Even if they are as under-rated at rsconrad's failed bolts, they're not subject to the same bouncing or moment that a spare tire is.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
I would not be concerned about the U-bolts myself. Even if they are as under-rated at rsconrad's failed bolts, they're not subject to the same bouncing or moment that a spare tire is.

X2 The front of the TT (tongue) doesn't bounce anyway near as bad as the rear. You could forget & leave the TT keys on the rear bumper of the truck & they would still be there when you get to your destination.......ask me how I know! Oh, I left a screwdriver there once too.....same thing, it was still there when I got to my destination.

Tags
factory, propane, tank