Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Finally happened

Well I had my first blow out yesterday only about 10 minutes into leaving home. Tires a little over 1 year old.
daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Sorry to here that. Was it a road hazard issue or a defective tire or do you know?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Sorry to hear that.

If you are talking ST type trailer tires, have been following the 3 golden rules?
- never tow overloaded (of the tire's rating)
- never tow over the tire's speed rating
- never tow underinflated

Failure to follow these rules causes internal heat buildup that damages tires that can result in a failure. Damage is cumulative over time.

Another factor is low reserve load capacity. Weigh the trailer and compare to the tire's load rating. You want min. 10-15% and more is better. We upgraded to one load range higher and have about 30% reserve capacity and after about 25K miles in our 5th season on them, have never had an issue of any kind. You should always be running the max sidewall psi. I almost always check tire pressure (cold) before each leg of a trip or before leaving home. We carry a 12 volt compressor and have used in when travelling between high/low elevations and temp. difference.

Sadly, NOBODY tells a purchaser of a new TT or FW how to properly treat ST type tires - neither the RV manufacturer or the dealer.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Sorry to hear that.

If you are talking ST type trailer tires, have been following the 3 golden rules?
& etc...
X2!
Excellent advice! That said, I had a cold tread separation a couple of years ago, even though I always followed the "3 golden rules". (I posted about this yesterday)
As the entire set of Gladiators were now suspect, I inspected and scrapped all remaining in the set.
Worked with the distributor and was reimbursed original cost of all 4 tires.

Suggest you take lots of pics, keep the carcass, and go after the distributor/manufacturer for replacement or whatever.
I ended up running Maxxis one load range higher than the "D" tires that came with the rig. No issues.
Also a great idea to install TPMS.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Are you basing you tire age on the purchase of your rig or the actual date on the tire. Hey it happens I hope it was only the tire and not additional damage. let the forum know
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry to here that. Was it a road hazard issue or a defective tire or do you know?
I am not positive, but I am thinking defective tire. Was able to hear tire blow in a very quiet cab with radio playing and wife and I talking. There was no doubt of a tire blowing. Just didn't know at first if it was us or a passing vehicle.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.

Failure to follow these rules causes internal heat buildup that damages tires that can result in a failure. Damage is cumulative over time.

Another factor is low reserve load capacity. Weigh the trailer and compare to the tire's load rating. You want min. 10-15% and more is better. We upgraded to one load range higher and have about 30% reserve capacity and after about 25K miles in our 5th season on them, have never had an issue of any kind. You should always be running the max sidewall psi. I almost always check tire pressure (cold) before each leg of a trip or before leaving home. We carry a 12 volt compressor and have used in when travelling between high/low elevations and temp. difference.

Sadly, NOBODY tells a purchaser of a new TT or FW how to properly treat ST type tires - neither the RV manufacturer or the dealer.
Hi myredracer,

I know what you are talking about.

I am definitely not overloaded. Was always cautious of this. (Even with first TT)Was 5 years old and no tire issues

Never towed over speed of tires.

Always, always checked tire pressure.

I thought is defective tire.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Are you basing you tire age on the purchase of your rig or the actual date on the tire. Hey it happens I hope it was only the tire and not additional damage. let the forum know
No additional damage. When I hear the blow out. I immediately slowed and went to nearest exit. Date wise I am going by time I owned. Don't know date on tires.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

What brand tires? If they are Goodyear Marathons, they are garbage. Save yourself a lot of potential headaches and buy new tires. Regardless of what brand they are, if they are over 5 years old, buy all new tires. It's worth the piece of mind. I speak from experience.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by usraptor View Post
What brand tires? If they are Goodyear Marathons, they are garbage. Save yourself a lot of potential headaches and buy new tires. Regardless of what brand they are, if they are over 5 years old, buy all new tires. It's worth the piece of mind. I speak from experience.
Huh. We have almost 5 seasons and around 25K miles on our Marathons... Very happy with them. There are lots and lots of happy Marathon owners out there. We do have much higher reserve load capacity than most ST owners tho. End of this season will be replacing them with the new Endurance and can get even more reserve capacity if I inflate them to the full 80 psi.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 AM   #11

Pressure checked and inflated to 80 PSI before each and every trip. Still have had 3 blowouts on two different sets, two on the last trip, all at 65 MPH and yes I've weighed the trailer and it's not even close to being maxed out for Trailer or axles. Also, trailer is stored indoors when not in use. Just replaced them with the Endurances and so far, knock on wood, no issues.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Huh. We have almost 5 seasons and around 25K miles on our Marathons... Very happy with them. There are lots and lots of happy Marathon owners out there. We do have much higher reserve load capacity than most ST owners tho. End of this season will be replacing them with the new Endurance and can get even more reserve capacity if I inflate them to the full 80 psi.
Yes there are plenty of happy Marathon owners however with that said there are plenty of unhappy owners seems to be a 50/50 mix, plenty of reviews on these tires they score quite low in satisfaction. It appears that the new Good Year Endurance (USA made) tires are much much better than the Marathons.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #13

They are power king towmax tires. Definitely was not a tread separation. It was either inside or outside tire wall failure. I always took care of my tires just to avoid being on the side of a highway. Seems that didn't work. As for the Goodyear tire, I know nothing about them. I do know, I have had Goodyear on some of my vehicles and did not like them. They never last what they were rated for.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
They are power king towmax tires. Definitely was not a tread separation. It was either inside or outside tire wall failure. I always took care of my tires just to avoid being on the side of a highway. Seems that didn't work. As for the Goodyear tire, I know nothing about them. I do know, I have had Goodyear on some of my vehicles and did not like them. They never last what they were rated for.
Towmax tires are also known as Blowmax. That says it all.

And, yes I have owned Blowmax tires that didn’t blow out. Probably because we felt the vibration of a treat separating in time to pull over and replace.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #15

Just had my first blowout also. Goodyear marathons four years old with 80 psi ( recommended) and probably 2,000 miles on them. Not overloaded according to Cat scales. Only run 65 or under. Just junk tires. Am researching new tires now. Any reviews would be extremely helpful.
Moochie6903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie6903 View Post
Just had my first blowout also. Goodyear marathons four years old with 80 psi ( recommended) and probably 2,000 miles on them. Not overloaded according to Cat scales. Only run 65 or under. Just junk tires. Am researching new tires now. Any reviews would be extremely helpful.

Were you using a TPMS?
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
Definitely was not a tread separation. It was either inside or outside tire wall failure.
I'll bet you found some sharp object on the road. Had something similar happen to me. Driving thru a parking lot. Had a short drive over to work. As I pulled into the lot at work, knew I had a problem - sidewall had a big hole in it. Probably fairly small initially, but by the time I parked, it was a lot bigger.

Seems what most folks call blowouts are tread separations.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote