Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

First time out in the new TT

Went out this weekend for the first time tin the new 2014 Avenger 27BBS and had two things go "wrong" but was able to resolve both.

1) Woke up Saturday morning and got a knock on the door telling me I had a leak. The leak was the hot water tank and it was far more than a leak, more like a stream. The plug in the tank had not been put in correctly (by the dealer) and was stripped out and only in 1/4 of the way. Because it is plastic the threads were shot and I was lucky there was an RV store nearby that I was able to go get a new plug for $0.99. Issue resolve, but not before the rear of the campsite got flooded.

2) I have an 8 month old and on Saturday night we decided to turn on the heat because it got a little cold. The heat kept setting off the smoke alarm (not the CO2 detector). I finally took the battery out and allowed the TT to get warm and them put the battery back in. My conclusion (and I could be wrong) was that the quick change in temperature caused the alarm to trigger. I do know most detectors detect heat as well as smoke as fire indicators. It does not help that my floor vent for the heat is right under the smoke alarm and the rising heat rises right up to it.

I figured I would share my experiences for any others who may benefit.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

As far an #2 goes, did you or the dealer fire up the furnace and let it burn for a while before your maiden voyage? Sometimes it takes a while for the furnace to burn off the newness (for lack of a better word) of the unit. Hopefully you won't have that problem again. Second thought is you could move your smoke detector to a less triggering spot.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There is a caution in the heater manual about running the heater for a few hours to burn off the oil used to preserve the heater in storage.

You were getting oil smoke off your new never used unit.

Once it burns off you should not ever have to worry about it again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

I agree with the oil burn off, we had this happen on Labor day last year.
We did run the furnace during our PDI but only long enough for it to start and I knew how to start it as it was near 100 that day.

At the CG it was early AM and the alarm was very loud, ended up turning the heat off and pulling the battery till later when I could vent the trailer and run the heat to burn off the oil without bothering the rest of the camp.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #5

Thanks for clearing that up for me Wisc, Herk, and Idaho. So not a surprise my initial thought was not correct. I am surprised I did not notice any smoke, but it was dark and my son was asleep so we did not turn on the lights. I guess I should have read the manual more thoroughly. I did not see that in there when I looked through everything (I admit I did not ready it all, it was more of a skim). Seems like something important that should have been covered in the PDI to me.

Everyone is great in here. This is why I like to share, everyone sets me straight when I am wrong! LOL
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me Wisc, Herk, and Idaho. So not a surprise my initial thought was not correct. I am surprised I did not notice any smoke, but it was dark and my son was asleep so we did not turn on the lights. I guess I should have read the manual more thoroughly. I did not see that in there when I looked through everything (I admit I did not ready it all, it was more of a skim). Seems like something important that should have been covered in the PDI to me.

Everyone is great in here. This is why I like to share, everyone sets me straight when I am wrong! LOL
The manual for what ever you have be it for your stove or television the hitch on you truck or TV, no matter sit down with a cool drink and a bowl of pop corn and read.

Yes I know it may seem tedious to the point of tears but it can save you a headache or three.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
Seems like something important that should have been covered in the PDI to me.

As CRAPPY as my PDI was; it was mentioned. I asked at the time (since they had my camper "getting it ready" for a WEEK; why they did not do it?

Their answer should have prepped me for the unbelievably bad service I got later. Turns out the camper "sat" for the better part of the week.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time