Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

First trip in my crusader and really disappointed

We are currently on it first trip with our crusader 320rlt and I have to say I am really disappointed. The air mattress is slowly leaking, it's bearable since it is slow but you sink in the middle by morning. The counter tops scratch EXTREMELY easy.I was stirring eggs in a plastic bowl and there are several circular scratches, plus the edge between the tv top and kitchen counter top looks like someone took a knife and cut the edge off. The dvd does not work at all or stops working a couple minutes into into the movie. And the carpeting on the largest slide keeps fraying because it was just cut off and not sewn so it would not fray.I do love the layout and was so excited to get it and take our first trip but now I am afraid I made a mistake. I hate to say it but I think I want my mountaineer back.
BellaGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Sorry to hear your disappointed. I agree the counter tops do scratch easily. We've learned to put a towel under stuff. Haven't had any of the other problems. Good news is PT customer service is second to none. Contact them through their website and I'm certain they'll make it right.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

When I realized they scratch easily I started doing that but I shouldn't have to, they should be more durable than that. It's also a good thing we had spare fuses in our supplies from or other camper or we would not have gotten the camper off our truck, fuse blew for the front jacks....and this is our first trip.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #4

I did have that problem, dealer replaced the fuse with an automotive style automatic resetting circuit breaker. Haven't had an issue since.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your problems.
The air mattress is known to leak, but a new one sometimes needs to be "broke in". After a few uses it usually will hold air. If not, check the cap at the foot end of the bed. Sometimes these aren't on tight and air will leak there. One trick that works well is to put some cling wrap under the cap.
Sounds like the carpet and trim work got through their Q&A.
We haven't experienced any scratches in our counter tops. I don't know, maybe we are just lucky.
Our Jensen DVD player has been perfect. I haven't read or heard of anyone else having any problem with theirs.

One thing you do have going for you, PT's customer service is second to none. They will take care of your issues. Here's the link to their contact page; Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

Thanks for all your support and suggestions. I emailed their support and they really were great and quick to respond. They are sending a new air mattress no questions asked and I am to work with my dealer on the other issues. They promised to get them resolved. My question is, is it possible to get my counter tops without the shiney finish? If you look at the inside of the sink covers it is a nice flat finish. Its the shiny finish that surface scratches so easy.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaGrace View Post
Thanks for all your support and suggestions. I emailed their support and they really were great and quick to respond. They are sending a new air mattress no questions asked and I am to work with my dealer on the other issues. They promised to get them resolved. My question is, is it possible to get my counter tops without the shiney finish? If you look at the inside of the sink covers it is a nice flat finish. Its the shiny finish that surface scratches so easy.

Thanks again.
Wish I could help on the countertops, but I think it would be best to contact PT again and see what they have to say.
Just want to make the point, all new trailers need to get the bugs worked out. Of course the countertops, carpet and sloppy trim will probably require your dealer's service department, but there are alot of people that have major problems with their new trailers. Leaks (internal & external), component failures, axle and tire issues, etc....
At least it sounds like most of your issues are cosmetic. I know that probably doesn't help you feel any better. Just tryin' to say that they should be able to fix you up easily and quickly and none of those issues should keep you from camping and having a good time.

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #8

Excellent point. I need to be thankful all necessities are working and just enjoy the rest of or trip. I really do love the camper all issues aside. Thank fire reminding me what's important...happy camping
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

If it makes you feel better, the problem with the fuse on the landing gear isn't just Prime Time. That's a common problem and the circuit breaker is a common fix on many different makes of 5'ers. I feel you with the countertops. They are the nicest looking counters I've seen but sometimes not practical. Look up E-Stone on the web if you get a chance. You might be surprised to see how they're made... I know I was.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Talking

Well we just packed up and are heading home. Our awning will not completely close on one side and our bedroom slide quit working a couple seconds after it started closing. We have got go be the unluckiest campers. Didn't have these issues with our last fifth wheel. Gonna call our dealer tomorrow. If PT has the customer service that everyone says they do then all should be good.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Regardless of how good there Customer service is....These are the things that shouldn't be going wrong with a new camper. I for one like there campers and are looking to trade for a Sanibel 5th Wheel. But it seems allot of people that are Prime Time camper owners make excuses for the same manufacturing defects that every other manufacturer has because there customer service is good. Well think about this thought....everyone wouldn't have to know your customer service is excellent if your products had better QC built in already. Hopefully they'll make it right but as mentioned you shouldn't have to consider yourself unlucky in the first place. At least it looks like they're taking out the products they make and start to see the malfunctions that you had happen and fix it so other won't have the same problems !! Just my thoughts....and observations. - Dave K.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #12

BigRed, I place new RV issues into two catagories, 3rd party components and trailer quality.

As far as 3rd party components, take BellaGrace's issue with her slide as an example. Same slide you'll find on many manufacturer's RV's. It worked for BellaGrace before, so it probably worked for PT before it left the factory and also at the dealer when they checked it out after arrival and during PDI. So what can any manufacturer do in that situation? The only thing they can do is fix the problem correctly and as quckly as possible. As you noted, PT is excellent at that.

When it comes to trailer quality, then the manufacturer is solely responsible. Look through the post in PT's section of this forum and I think you'll find very few issues with trailer quality.
BellaGrace did mention a couple of issues, some trim work and carpet, that shouldn't have left the factory in the condition they received it.
I and another 303RKS owner mentioned a small leak around our bedroom slides, but this was only during a hard rain with high winds and come to find out both of us had our tt's slightly out of level, curb side high. Leveled the tt and no leaks now. Even in hard rain and high winds.
There have been a few tire clearence problems on one particular model and one owner who has the same tt as I do has had quilte a few problems, but PT is taking care of everything no questions asked!

I do agree with you that we shouldn't have these problems with a new tt, but we do. However, I do feel it's hard to blame any manufacturer if a 3rd party component doesn't work, if that component doesn't have a history of excessive malfunctioning on a regular basis (about every component has failed at one time or another) and if that component worked properly during the PDI.

PT has listened to their customers and has added or deleted features based on the needs/wants of their customers. So I feel they're doing all they can do.

I would like to note that I haven't read or heard of any PT trailer with roof leaks or delamination problems.

So JMHO, but I feel PT is outstanding in customer service and trailer quality.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #13

Good points Gary.
Its the mfg's response to problems that are important to me.
As I enjoy working on my rig, I tend look for problem areas and develop "a better mousetrap"

I do feel all RV mfg's could and should do a better job on quality, but currently it is what it is.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

Keep us posted!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #15

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Gary, if you notice I'm still in line to get a new Sanibel 5th Wheel from Prime Time. Its just sad that a family or couple that is so excited to get a new camper and then be heartbroken that things aren't working properly for what ever reason. I know many components are 3rd party parts but Prime Time is responsible for the use of those parts/suppliers. It makes me a little worried that this company is growing to fast (a Good thing?) but hopefully not at the risk of a lower quality product ,increased defects. I been watching many videos of different manufactures of RV's and there building processes and the workers just seem so rushed for what they are building. I know speed is money but at what cost! Anyway I wasn't trying to slam PT. Just hoping we don't see more of those ones that slipped through QC.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #16

David I didn't take your post as a slam. I apologize if my post read that way. Just posting my view of things. I have to look at it this way, otherwise these things would drive me crazy.

I think most of us have experienced what BellaGrace is going through. It is frustrating when you pay out hard earned money, 25k+, and end up with a tt that doesn't operate according to it's intended use. The problems BellaGrace mentioned can be found in just about every manufacturer's new RV's.

I may be a little jaded because I, like a few others, have experienced much worse. My last tt had both sidewalls replaced due to delamination and it still leaked afterwards. Talk about being heartbroken after being so excited with a new tt!

Prime Time isn't perfect, but they are at least putting a good effort into it. More than any other RV manufacturer that I know of. Not just with customer service but with quality of build as well. I have to give them credit for that.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #17

I am so sorry you are having so many problems. We had the same problem with our mattress. My grandson got me up in the middle of the night because it went almost flat. The next morning, we discovered that the valve at the top of the mattress was not tight. I read another post and another person had the same problem and it was the valve for them too. We have a 32RLT also. We have camped in it twice. We also found fraying carpet. Our TV was not mounted correctly and it damaged the screen. We also had a problem with the slide that holds the dining table. When the dealer closed up the slide, it was too close to the bar. It took a hunk out of the cabinet door trim on the island. We called the dealer (very upset). They said not problem. We take it in on Tuesday for a new (shorter) table and a new TV. I'm afraid if I had all the problems you have; I would want a new trailer. Of course, that would be difficult, but when you get something new, you don't want a repaired new trailer. Good luck and I will re-post after our visit to get the new stuff installed. Let me know what they do for your trailer. Sue
bobbysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #18

I understand there will be issues, especially when 3rd party products are involved. But I do have mixed emotions, if they fix everything I will be happy, but you are exactly right bobbysue, I paid a lot of money for an already repaired camper. There are even a couple of things that i didn't mention, boil water and the steam fills inbetween the glass on the microwave and the booth table. I can't let my grandkids have anything to drink at the table because it is so wabbly. We don't even use glasses, bottled drinks only. But I guess that was my choice to have the booth instead of the table and chairs (more sleeping). Before all this stuff went wrong, there were a couple of things I was disappointed in but they seem trivial now. I really am feeling that i want a new camper, or give me my mountaineer back. Besides a couple of things I didn't like (and you will have that with every camper), we had no issues with the mountaineer. But grhodes50, I am slightly thankful because it could be worse, alot worse.

On a side note, thanks so much to everyone for their support and opinions. I am new to this forum and I love it. In addition to all your support, I have browsed around and found some useful information. Hopefully I will be able to post some good news about my camper.... OH I DO! when i got home from our trip, there was a new air mattress waiting for me
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #19

I have a quick question for everyone. When we decided on the Crusader 320RLT we were told that it would be 6-8 weeks. Because of that we told the dealer that we would probably wait till next spring then. Our scheduled camping trips would be over and we did not want to buy a brand new camper just to bring it home and store it over the winter. He called us about a week later and said they had one ready to come off the line for us. Do you think they rushed it through just to get the sale and not risk us finding something else?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaGrace View Post
I have a quick question for everyone. When we decided on the Crusader 320RLT we were told that it would be 6-8 weeks. Because of that we told the dealer that we would probably wait till next spring then. Our scheduled camping trips would be over and we did not want to buy a brand new camper just to bring it home and store it over the winter. He called us about a week later and said they had one ready to come off the line for us. Do you think they rushed it through just to get the sale and not risk us finding something else?
I don't believe there is such a thing as rush anything off an assembly line. They probably had a stock unit on order that fit the bill and it ended up coming off the line at the right time.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote