Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Front cap stress cracks

Our 2016 Crusader 297RSK is at the dealer to have the brown cap fade painted. Dealer just called to say they found stress cracks in the cap that need to be repaired before painting. Has anyone experienced this problem? Was it covered under warranty?
DwarfDogWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Friends of ours had the same problem with their dark brown cap. Their rig is two years old now and the cap was repainted once, then replaced entirely for cracks and painted again. Hope you have better luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Do you know if your friends' repairs were covered under warranty?
Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarfDogWalker View Post
Do you know if your friends' repairs were covered under warranty?
Yes. The cap was replaced at about 18 months but was covered due to prior recorded problems ( original repaint).
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #5

I have a 2015 290. The cap faded and had cracks. It was replaced under warranty a couple years ago. So far so good with the replacement. It was not painted the brown color but it was painted with a clear coat or so I was told at the time.

It was a pretty painless process. Happened over winter when it would have been in storage anyway.

Prime time treated me good
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #6

Emailed Prime Time yesterday. Hoping for the best. Original brown cap fade claim was filed last summer.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Charlie & Sue

Had cracks in my CC front cap (dealer woe) that was not evident until fading came along. CC wanted to just paint but local CC dealer said that cracks cannot be satisfactorily repaired and painted and the travel stress will bring them back fairly quickly. Replacing cap may be your only long term solution. I was fortunate that CC agreed to replace cap under warranty because of cracks; but, the fading was the main driver.

Good luck.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

Well I just received an email from Wendy at PT that our unit is out of warranty. She did not address the fact that we already have an active claim. So I called to make sure there was no misunderstanding. Wendy said she had already discussed the issue with her supervisor and basically told me too bad. PT will not offer any assistance with the stress cracks. I asked if the manufacturer of the front cap was able to offer any assistance or if I could contact the manufacturer directly. Nope. Nasty little attitude too. She couldn't even be bothered to politely blow me off. Crusader website says "a higher standard" Not!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

Several manufacturers (not just PT) had cap fade issues for a stretch of a few years. The company(s) that manufacture the caps agreed (at least with Forest River & PT) to cover the FADING for a period of 30 months from DATE OF MANUFACTURE, not the date you bought it. Stress cracks were not part of this agreement.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack