Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Question Gel Coat Crazing/cracking

Hello everyone, I need some advise please. I purchased a new 2015 Prime Time Crusader (Tan Color) last week and will be picking it up in a few days. The salesman called me yesterday and said that while they were prepping the unit they found spider web cracks in the gel coat so they will be giving me a different unit - same model. What has me worried is that if one unit has the problem, I would think that others would too. I've read a lot about this issue with gel coat on campers and boats and want no part of it if I can avoid it. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I would really like to have the camper as it fits what we need exactly (It's our fifth camper), but not if it is defective. Thank you for any advice on this. Thanks, Tubeampdr.
tubeampdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

From my experience with boats, my bet is someone shot the gel layer too thick or had the mixture off (or a combo of both). Most gelcoat will eventually craze after years in the sun, so I would wait about ten years to start worrying.
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeampdr View Post
Hello everyone, I need some advise please. I purchased a new 2015 Prime Time Crusader (Tan Color) last week and will be picking it up in a few days. The salesman called me yesterday and said that while they were prepping the unit they found spider web cracks in the gel coat so they will be giving me a different unit - same model. What has me worried is that if one unit has the problem, I would think that others would too. I've read a lot about this issue with gel coat on campers and boats and want no part of it if I can avoid it. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I would really like to have the camper as it fits what we need exactly (It's our fifth camper), but not if it is defective. Thank you for any advice on this. Thanks, Tubeampdr.
I was washing my rv yesterday and noticed spider web cracks on my nose cap, side about the size of a baseball. I think my warranty expired yesterday. I sent an email to the dealer at about 7:30 pm with a picture hoping that will qualify as documenting the issue before the warranty expires.

My trailer is 1 year old. The nose caps are notoriously problematic for prime time.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

My 294 is in for the 10 month checkup before warranty expired. While completing my laundry list of repairs, the dealer found cracks on both sides of my cap. New one has been ordered. This camper has been at dealer since early January waiting on one factory part after another. So, inspect your cap closely before warranty expires.

2015 Crusader 294RLT, 2014 2500 Ram
Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I picked up the 2015 Crusader and it looks good. No cracks that we could see. Only things I see out of line are the fireplace fan doesn't spin and even though the literature says there's a power vent in the kitchen, there is none - only a crank hatch in the ceiling that you can't reach.
tubeampdr is offline   Reply With Quote